PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Maroney be with the Patriots in 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shannahan loved him coming out of college. Maybe Washington would make a good trade partner. I can't see him being a part of this team, even with his friendly cap number![/Q
Love to see if we could get Cooley or worse case scenario Santana Moss. 70 receptions from an inconsistent QB in 2009 and veteran leadership. The trade helps both sides.
DW Toys

He's the best RB we have, so unless we pick someone up that is an upgrade, why would we get rid of him?

On a side note, I heard on the radio that Maroney and Watson were guys that Pioli really pushed for and may not be Belichick's guys.

Yes, he'll be with the team.

There's no cap benefit to cutting him and at the very least, he's quality depth even if the team makes a major move at RB.

I agree JSP ... if it was all about everyone on your roster being good we would have about 20 players.

I would trade Maroney for a third round pick in this year's draft.

Oakland, Philadelphia and Cleveland own two third round picks. Philadelphia seems like the logical choice to initiate conversations with.

The only other teams selecting in the third round who could've an interest in Maroney, if he's available, are Houston and San Diego.

Note: Some of these players could be released which would place an emphasis on selecting a running back in the draft for that team.

Team's current running backs

Oakland - McFadden, Fargas and Bush
Philadelphia - McCoy, Westbrook (role and future with team uncertain) and Buckley
Cleveland - Harrison (FA), Davis and Jennings

Houston - Slaton (underwent surgery, out indefinitely), Moats, Foster, Henry and Johnson
San Diego - Sproles (FA), Tomlinson (role and future with team uncertain) and Bennett

I hope he's back and is given enough carries to get into a good flow during games.

I can't see him ditched to be honest. But then BB did seem to lose patience at the end of the year.
MY thoughts are that he'll keep him at least until camp, and see if he can get someone from the draft.

If there isn't a strong replacement BB won't roll with 3 over 30 RBs. (hoping Faulk is resigned.)

The more I think about this, the more it makes sense that Maroney will
be traded for a 2011 pick.

We all know Belichick loves to stockpile future draft picks while the majority
of teams will be concerned with 2010.

Belichick has a history of trading 3rd round picks for 2nd round picks
the following year.

A team that may be willing to give a 3rd round pick in 2010 for Maroney
may give a 2nd round pick in 2011 for Maroney.

Shanahan, Snyder & the Washington Redskins or the Detroit Lions would
not suprise me.

You think he will be traded/cut then?

I just don't see the upside to doing either, we won't save enough or get enough in return. And there's too many other needs IMO to upgrade him.

Traded for 3rd which will be flipped into a 2nd for 2011, if they've met their needs for 3rd this year, which may not be the case since this year's draft will be very deep due to next year's rumored rookie cap.

Even if the cap is still a rumor, players declaring their eligibility will probably want to err on the side of caution and come out this year.

I hope he's back and is given enough carries to get into a good flow during games.

I agree and hope he is the feature back next year. I think he would benefit from getting the majority of the carries and not have to worry about someone else coming in and taking some of his carries.

Geez, I keep going back and forth about LMO. Some days I wonder if he's right, the more carries he gets the better he becomes. Or if he is just a bust all together. He doesn't seem very mature to me from the interviews i've seen of him on 'Patriots Today'...

I agree with your post. I also didn't realize that he is pretty young (25 this month) and was drafted younger than most guys. Maybe he hasn't matured enough at this point. As much as I think he is a bust, I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do this year.

I hope not...another wasted roster space with a player that does little to help win games - time for some new blood and let some other team see if he can be of some use in their offense,It worked well for David Thomas.

Traded for 3rd which will be flipped into a 2nd for 2011, if they've met their needs for 3rd this year, which may not be the case since this year's draft will be very deep due to next year's rumored rookie cap.

Even if the cap is still a rumor, players declaring their eligibility will probably want to err on the side of caution and come out this year.

If they can get a 3rd for him, I might have to agree with you there. But I don't see anybody offering up a 3rd for him.

If they can get a 3rd for him, I might have to agree with you there. But I don't see anybody offering up a 3rd for him.

A 3rd?

For what?

I would be happy for a 6th or 7th for him

Maroney is a 3rd depth RB on just about any team other than the Pats right now and I think a 6th or 7th is a legit asking price.

Sad thing is I am not so sure Belichick has been totally fed up yet and might keep him again.

A 3rd?

For what?

I would be happy for a 6th or 7th for him

Maroney is a 3rd depth RB on just about any team other than the Pats right now and I think a 6th or 7th is a legit asking price.

Sad thing is I am not so sure Belichick has been totally fed up yet and might keep him again.

What are you going to do with a 6th and 7th?
As much as you guys rag on Maroney, how can you still think a 6th or 7th is going to help us anymore than he will.

I hope not...another wasted roster space with a player that does little to help win games - time for some new blood and let some other team see if he can be of some use in their offense,It worked well for David Thomas.

Could say the same for Joseph Addai....compare his stats to Maroney.

I hope so. No more dances. Bring here the f... antowain smith 2.0

I hope so. No more dances. Bring here the f... antowain smith 2.0

Antowain smith 2.0 wouldn't be able to do jack unless Pats build an OL, and get a philosophy/mindset to pound the ball.

Right now they're too happy to live and die by Brady-Moss, Brady Welker, and throw in a handful of runs by Maroney & Faulk

What are you going to do with a 6th and 7th?
As much as you guys rag on Maroney, how can you still think a 6th or 7th is going to help us anymore than he will.

While its a rare thing,there is always a miracle Marques Colston or Tom Brady in the draft in those rounds - its happened before.

Miracle shot or Maroney?...debatable

While its a rare thing,there is always a miracle Marques Colston or Tom Brady in the draft in those rounds - its happened before.

Miracle shot or Maroney?...debatable

Maroney's been the starter on this team for the last 3 seasons as long as he's been healthy. No starter is worth a 'miracle shot' aside from Hanson maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes