2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Mankins start upon his return

• Yes.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No.

Votes: 61 57.0%
  • He'll have to take the job from Connolly.

Votes: 44 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He won't start right away, but he should be the starter a few games in.

I don't want to get too deep on this, but the line surrendered only 18 sacks all last season, even with the receiver problems, the missed time by the tackles and Neal, and with Brady still working through things while on the comeback trail. 8 Sacks through 5 games translates to about 26 sacks on the season

As has been noted during frequent discussions before, it wasn't the sacks last year that were the problem, but the frequent QB hits and consistent pressure yielded by the OL. That doesn't seem to be as large a factor this year, though I will grant that changes in the offensive scheme has played a role.

Too many things have changed from 2009 to this year to make Mankins' presence or absence truly diagnostic in terms of the OL success. All we can say is that the OL is playing pretty well, with better results than last year. Unless Mankins can prove that his presence on the line won't impact the new dynamic negatively, I don't see a reason why he would start, at least not right away.

Last edited:
The OL seems to be working well as a unit right now. I see no reason to break it up.

Mankins can serve as a more than suitable replacement at G&T should we have an injury.

I'm curious. Why do you think he will without a doubt?

Even though Connolly has played well and team chemistry might be affected, I think BB will get a rusty Mankins some reps in and if he is still playing at a top level will probably keep him in there if anything due to his work ethics of the past
If Brady gets sacked often during this time I think a change back to the current OL will continue.

Personally I would not change a thing unless this OL gets into trouble which it very well might with some pretty good pass rush defenses on the way by schedule.

Yeah but if he doesn't play he can't make a case for getting paid more next year.

Unfortunately, that could be seen as being vindictive on the part of the Pats, if they just make him inactive weekly without giving him the chance to earn his spot back.

Also, I think that Mankins is still young enough that one year out won't hurt how much money he'll make. Not to mention that any potential for reconciliation will be gone.

And, I'd much rather see Mankins and Connolly at the guards next year than rely on Neal staying healthy.

All we can say is that the OL is playing pretty well, with better results than last year.

I don't see how you can say this. Sack numbers are up, and nobody's putting forth any other data-based argument.

I say we just release him outright when he reports....or revoke the tender however it works.

I know there is a risk he signs with someone we are competing with but at this point why use a roster spot on him this is going to happen come offseason anyway.

Mankins will be Neal injury insurance.

BB is not emotional and therefore whether Mankins starts or not is entirely up to him. If he is the better option he will, otherwise he won't. It is what it is. :D

BB is not emotional and therefore whether Mankins starts or not is entirely up to him. If he is the better option he will, otherwise he won't. It is what it is. :D
So your answer is.....Maybe

Last edited:
Mike Reiss mentioned this in his mailbag and I figured I'd put it to the "experts" here at Patsfans.

What do you think? Will Mankins start when he returns?

He will not report.

I don't see how you can say this. Sack numbers are up, and nobody's putting forth any other data-based argument.

Are sacks the be-all end-all of an OL's performance? If so, would you characterize the 2009 OL as the best of the Belichick era? They did give up the fewest sacks.

it is a crime what $$$ we are giving to our DC

rotoworld.com source

Contract Information for Daniel Connolly

12/23/2009: Signed a three-year, $2.068 million contract. 2009: $743,333, 2010: $600,000, 2011: $725,000, 2012: Free Agent

We better extend him before he sells us out and goes to some other team.

2.068 million............ We should make him an offer he cannot refuse:cool:

Last edited:
Are sacks the be-all end-all of an OL's performance? If so, would you characterize the 2009 OL as the best of the Belichick era? They did give up the fewest sacks.

I wasn't arguing your point. I was noting that I don't see how you can make any claims of the line being better when you didn't back it up with any actual data. The only data currently out there is sack totals. If you've got someone who's reliable and has pressure/hit/hurry totals, that would be something to look to.

If Connolly keeps missing blocks like he did last Sunday, I don't see any way that Mankins DOESN'T start eventually when he gets back.

Can't resist that invitation ;)

Football Outsiders has run blocking improved and pass blocking falling off:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2010 OFFENSIVE LINES
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2009 OFFENSIVE LINES

Cold Hard Football Facts has the line as substantially improved, with a big improvement in running game effectiveness masking a fall off in pass protection:

Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: 2010 Offensive Hog Index
Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: Final 2009 Offensive Hog Index

It's too bad the much decried ProFootballFocus stats are now behind a pay wall, as they would make for an interesting further detailed comparison.

I would attribute the improvement in the running game to Vollmer over Kaczur, Gronkowski + Crumpler, and a healthy Neal. Connolly has clearly contributed positively especially with his pulling, but I'm not prepared to say he's an improvement over Mankins.

The pass protection fall off I'd attribute to a sophomore slump by Vollmer, continued decline of Koppen, and the pace of growth of coordination of Connolly with Koppen and Light.

What blocks were those?

damned if I know what he's talking about ,either. I DID hear Smerlas remark this afternoon that Connolly's play has made the Mankins question sort of moot...which would seem to be antithetical to Kontra's opinion of his play.

What blocks were those?

New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

4th Quarter: 2. One of the few times in the game when the Patriots tried to establish the running game with RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis was on their first drive of the fourth quarter. The first run went for a short gain after backside LB Dannell Ellerbe came in unblocked behind pulling LG Dan Connolly.

3rd Quarter: 1. The Patriots offensive line continued to struggle with DL Haloti Ngata early in the second half. On an early third quarter run by RB Danny Woodhead, a missed cut block by LG Dan Connolly allowed Ngata to chase Woodhead through the backfield; however, Woodhead was able to outrun Ngata for an 8-yard gain on a play with otherwise solid blocking.

Those are the only two instances which Rodak covers. I remember seeing him whiff on about two more blocks throughout the game with my own two eyes. And that was when I could clearly keep an eye on him. That's not even accounting for when I couldn't see him.

Look, I should say that Connolly has done a better job than I expected this season. Easily. However, a Mankins in game shape and playing at game speed would still be the better option between the two. I don't really think that's an argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back