PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will LB be a "need" in the off-season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer the question, LB has been a need for 3-4 years. Bruschi has managed to come back rather than retire from injuries (although he looks ready now) Junior Seau has the enthusiasm of a 20 year old, though he's closer 40 (39 in Jan.).

We've got three excellent outside linebackers in their prime, but we have to stick one of them inside where neither Vrable or Thomas want to play, or are best suited.

Our best young player (Woods) is an OLB.

Alexander is the future for both ILB spots.

Is he a future starter, Special teamer, or short timer?

To answer the question, LB has been a need for 3-4 years. Bruschi has managed to come back rather than retire from injuries (although he looks ready now) Junior Seau has the enthusiasm of a 20 year old, though he's closer 40 (39 in Jan.).

We've got three excellent outside linebackers in their prime, but we have to stick one of them inside where neither Vrable or Thomas want to play, or are best suited.

Our best young player (Woods) is an OLB.

Alexander is the future for both ILB spots.

Is he a future starter, Special teamer, or short timer?

both Colvin and AD are on the wrong side of 30. even though BB likes his LB's old, are group is reeeeeal old.

also, our best young player is certainly not Woods. he is 1 year younger than Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork who were both major contributors last year

both Colvin and AD are on the wrong side of 30. even though BB likes his LB's old, are group is reeeeeal old.

also, our best young player is certainly not Woods. he is 1 year younger than Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork who were both major contributors last year

I guess I'm getting lazy. Obviously, from the context, I meant best young linebacker. None of our best young players are linebackers, which is obvious from the rest of the thread.

My point is, yes we are real old. 2nd, for a real old team, we haven't developed any young talent at LB.

For a FA, I like Woods, but we have been risking a collapse at inside linebacker and, in fact, had one a couple years ago.

Last edited:
I guess I'm getting lazy. Obviously, from the context, I meant best young linebacker. None of our best young players are linebackers, which is obvious from the rest of the thread.

My point is, yes we are real old. 2nd, for a real old team, we haven't developed any young talent at LB.

For a FA, I like Woods, but we have been risking a collapse at inside linebacker and, in fact, had one a couple years ago.

sorry, I only skimmed the thread.

I agree what is a bit odd has been BB's inability to "homegrow" LB's through the draft. of the guys playing now - AD, Colvin, Vrabel, Bruschi, Seau - only Bruschi was homegrown, and he was drafted before the Piolichek reign. compare this to other positions, and you don't find anything similar at all

Last edited:
Happened not to. Sh!t happens, especially in the NFL draft, and especially when you have 5 or 6 veteran LBs capable of playing serious, productive minutes in this system. That likely changes, finally, after this season. Now what?

Are you joining the crowd that believes Nick Barnett, Bradie James, DJ Williams, Vilma, Beason, Carpenter and others were brought in as some sort of smoke-screen by Belichick???

Smokescreen? No. I think he brings guys in to see if (1) they might fit the system, and (2) where and whether or not they would represent value at a given time in the draft, as DaBruinz points out.

The game has undergone changes over the years, and BB wants to build teams that favorably change with them. He has limited resources, limited time, and embraces a philosophy that seeks to maximize both within those strictures. He takes a longer view, doubtless, than we do, and he has other positions he has to think about. Because he operates that way does not mean he runs smokescreens or indulges in flat-out lying to the press and the public.

Give him a little credit, huh?

sorry, I only skimmed the thread.

I agree what is a bit odd has been BB's inability to "homegrow" LB's through the draft. of the guys playing now - AD, Colvin, Vrabel, Bruschi, Seau - only Bruschi was homegrown, and he was drafted before the Piolichek reign. compare this to other positions, and you don't find anything similar at all

I've been railing on this since i started posting here. It makes no sense to me. Low rounders and UFA's and none has come close to being able to take over, (Chatham and TBC, but no way was either a real replacement). I'm mystified what they'll do. Vrable was a great find, Colvin, pretty good, Biesel crap.

I keep hoping this is the year they bring in a day one pick, or a couple young guys.

Who knows?

I've been railing on this since i started posting here. It makes no sense to me. Low rounders and UFA's and none has come close to being able to take over, (Chatham and TBC, but no way was either a real replacement). I'm mystified what they'll do. Vrable was a great find, Colvin, pretty good, Biesel crap.

I keep hoping this is the year they bring in a day one pick, or a couple young guys.

Who knows?

I think part of the explanation is that mentally the LB's in this system have to learn a lot, and that takes time. but, I seem to recall Monty Beisel playing, and being physically overwhelmed.

I dont have the draft history in front of me, but I don't recall the last time we spent a high pick on an LB. every year I think this will be the year, but my incorrect streak goes on... :rolleyes:

I think part of the explanation is that mentally the LB's in this system have to learn a lot, and that takes time. but, I seem to recall Monty Beisel playing, and being physically overwhelmed.

I dont have the draft history in front of me, but I don't recall the last time we spent a high pick on an LB. every year I think this will be the year, but my incorrect streak goes on... :rolleyes:

We've never spent a first day pick on a LB since BB has coached here. We had a 1st a 3rd and 2nd from Parcells (Willie, Tedy and TJ) A Rams 2nd (Phifer) A Steelers 3rd (Vrable)and a Bears 4th (Colvin).

I had a huge argument thread with posters who insisted we drafted low round or F.A. DEs and converted them to starters.

Thomas is by far the lowest pick (6th), but he was all pro when we acquired him, so that's hardly the same.

Last edited:

In BB's Patriots Reign I believe his highest drafted LB was Ryan Claridge in the 5th round in 2005.

If we go the F.A. route, I think we have to go younger than 29-30. Factoring in the possibility of injuries, I don't see us acquiring many more 30 year old linebackers.

In BB's Patriots Reign I believe his highest drafted LB was Ryan Claridge in the 5th round in 2005.

well, he was the LB coach in NY when the Giants selected LT 2nd overall, but I don't know how much input he had on the decision

Last edited:
well, he was the LB coach in NY when the Giants selected LT 2nd overall, but I don't know how much input he had on the decision

Parcells drafted Carl Banks in the first round when he already had Taylor and Pepper Johnson.

Definitely a disconnect there as far as LB athleticism goes.

I don't think you can base how Alexander will turn out on 1 start in the AFCC game against the SB winner.

But I don't think there's eveidence he's just a JAG either.

First of all, who's saying I'm basing it on one game? I don't think he played particularly badly, either, by the way. There IS, however, plenty of evidence that he's just a JAG. Tons of it. An NFL career's worth.

Calm down Patsox. He's on the Jets, not here.

They've managed to trade up for Wilson, Light, Graham and Warren, among others.

Who said they haven't had LBs on their draft board? They just haven't drafted any.

He's on the Jets, no matter what else you say.

Lots of guys the Patriots may have wanted are on lots of other teams. This argument signifies nothing. Try again.

who's to say that they won't draft a few LBs and still not go after some young..or old talent?? They susually deal with a problem in a number of ways.. there are a number of FAs they might like..Beisel was supposed to replace Bruschi...and the inside collapsed that year as both he and TJ were out at teh start..THAT hurt a great deal..There are 3 young ones that might be in the mix as well....A lot will depend on thei development and/or projection as to what they will draft. They will have multiple solutions as usual.

I think the part of the problem is you always see BB coaching the LB`s more than any group in defence .He expects his LB core to be very experienced and smart to execute what he wants. I think its a by product of his perference. It would it intresting to see if a LB drafted and BB working in the sidelines .but i think from his point of view very frustrating .
Age is not a big factor as with most teams LB/DL tire out in the 4th quater no matter what. against the colts colvin did not come on the field till the last 18 snaps , also i think he sat jarvis green and let him on saturday to generate presure up the middle .

The myth of slow LB was caused after TJ retirement and a hole in the middle .we never had a fast young lb we just use great bruisers. We have LB who play DE some times...can you imagine putting a smaller,faster LB againt a gaurd.look at vilma the guy is in IR . the only thing i can see is if BB decided to change the Defence schema.

people forget about Lua who is in IR. I think he is going to be a ILB with eric alexander next year to support bru/seau sort of pair .In a team where rookies are not allowed to make a media presence and he got more air time than even meriweather. i think he was going to be a player this year before being IRed he even spoke in a patriots event and was well received. Which bring to the conclusion that ourILB is in here already.

Last edited:
Lots of guys the Patriots may have wanted are on lots of other teams. This argument signifies nothing. Try again.

They have a draft board full of players at all positions every year. No one talks about other 1st day picks they don't make.

My argument is simple. They do not draft 1st day linebackers. Every other team does. They do manage to draft every other position except QB, K/P and long snapper.

You can interpret that any way you want.

I hope they do draft some this year, I personally don't understand the logic.

RayClay said:
;I hope they do draft some this year, I personally don't understand the logic.

As satz have said, BB expects his LB core to be very experienced and smart to execute what he wants. He just prefers veteran experience in this area of the defense.

I do find it interesting that he does allow rookies and those players with little NFL experience to play D-Line and secondary, but its the middle of the defense (LBs) that he has high standards for.

As satz have said, BB expects his LB core to be very experienced and smart to execute what he wants. He just prefers veteran experience in this area of the defense.

I do find it interesting that he does allow rookies and those players with little NFL experience to play D-Line and secondary, but its the middle of the defense (LBs) that he has high standards for.

He values athleticism on the line. Those dancing 300 lbers. He obviously values size and smarts at linebacker. Understood. Here is my problem.

If Bruschi and Seau retire, where do the replacements come from? Alexander?

If Alexander has been coached up to replace a starter, why couldn't a more talented linebacker have been drafted and now be ready?

There's nothing about a F.A. that makes you smarter or more experienced than a draft pick.

If we get another 30 year old free agent, we will have our next four LBs ready to retire at the same time. It's a short career in the NFL. If all present linebackers are over 30 (They are) who teaches the next wave in a few years?

How about we trade down a few spots, sign a FA LB with smarts, take Gholston, and convert him in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back