PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Jets@Patriots be moved to 4 PM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FortressX

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Looks like CBS only has Raiders@Chargers at 4 PM.
They have to make the announcement by Tuesday 10/13, don't they ?

I hope they move it to 4 PM.

What about being flexed into the SNF game ?
Too soon ?

Your thoughts.

Last edited:
I love 4:00 games myself ... more relaxing ...
I get my yard work done and I really dislike the 1:00 broadcast teams ... so I hope so.
My least favorite game times are the 1:00 game.

Zero chance it gets flexed to 4pm. FOX has the 4pm game that day and it is Cowboys/Giants.

It can however been flexed to SNF although teams are only allowed a max of 5 prime time games.
Looking at CBS schedule that day decent chance CBS protected that game.

On the prime time game thing, I think there is a rule that 2 or 3 teams can have 6. Patriots are at 5 right now.

Last edited:
The new TV rules put in place 2 years ago are such that they actually could theoretically shift Jets-Patriots from CBS to Fox and make it the late afternoon national Fox game, but they would only do that if the previously scheduled late afternoon game was going to be a real dud. While I don't exactly consider Dallas-NY an NFCCG preview, they are each reasonably decent enough of a draw to hold an afternoon audience.

However, if NBC decided they wanted Dallas-NYG for the late game (instead of Philly-Carolina), then Fox would need a late afternoon replacement.

It is something more likely to happen late in the season when the late afternoon national game turns into much more of a dud than it was back in April when they made the schedule.

For example, looking ahead, I could see NBC flexing Packers-Cardinals to late Sunday night on week 16, and Fox grabbing the best of the rest for the 4:25 game which could theoretically be Pats-Jets if they Jets are still playing well.

Fox would have to give up Cowboys/Giants game to be played at 4pm either to 1pm or 8pm. Jets and Giants can't play at same time due to TV rules.

So CBS cannot move game to Pats/ Jets to 4:25 because Giants are playing same time ? You would think CBS would like to move this game to compete with FOX game Giants/Cowboys for TV ratings

Zero chance it gets flexed to 4pm. FOX has the 4pm game that day and it is Cowboys/Giants.

It can however been flexed to SNF although teams are only allowed a max of 5 prime time games.
Looking at CBS schedule that day decent chance CBS protected that game.

On the prime time game thing, I think there is a rule that 2 or 3 teams can have 6. Patriots are at 5 right now.

Three teams can have six.

So CBS cannot move game to Pats/ Jets to 4:25 because Giants are playing same time ? You would think CBS would like to move this game to compete with FOX game Giants/Cowboys for TV ratings

The bylaws have specific regulations on Giants/JEST (and Raiders/49ers) scheduling that may prohibit it.

CBS can't move the game because FOX has the doubleheader that weekend. If CBS had the doubleheader you could bet the farm that CBS would put it on at 4pm.

But ya the nfl tries not to schedule the giants and jets at the same time. Although it does happen, I think there is a few games this year they are scheduled at the same time.

I love 4:00 games myself ... more relaxing ...
I get my yard work done and I really dislike the 1:00 broadcast teams ... so I hope so.
My least favorite game times are the 1:00 game.

Me too, I love the late afternoon games, they start at 5pm for me. I also like that the start time since there are more games to watch in the early afternoon timeslot.

Last edited:

They could move it to CBS at 4pm. But that move eliminates a 1pm CBS in NYC. Splits the ratings in NYC. And lose any area that had a 1pm CBS game. Due to Fox having DH week. And SD and Oakland markets have to broadcast SD/Oakland game. So those ratings CBS would try to get just shrunk by a big margin.

Oh and not sure about flex to SNF. Pats would not be happy because already have a short week with Thursday Night game the next week. And flexing to night game makes it shorter by 8 hours

How does the "Double Header" work, Is that every other week it switches between Fox and CBS ?

Can a team appear on SNF 2 weeks in a row ?

I think CBS/NFLN made a mistake in not having Jets/Pats on TNF this year and instead believing the hype and going with the Dolphins/Pats instead.

How does the "Double Header" work, Is that every other week it switches between Fox and CBS ?

Can a team appear on SNF 2 weeks in a row ?

I think CBS/NFLN made a mistake in not having Jets/Pats on TNF this year and instead believing the hype and going with the Dolphins/Pats instead.

Doubleheaders aren't rotated week to week. Networks try to get doubleheader weeks when they want it to be a lead in. Ex. Fox always has a doubleheader during the Sunday of game 4 of the World Series.

CBS for first time this year has a DH first weekend of the year. They no longer have US Open.

CBS DH Sundays: wk 1,3,5,6,9,10,12,15 and 17

Fox: 2,4,7,8,11,13,14,16 and 17.

You can be on SNF 2 weeks in a row. They never schedule at start of the season for 2 straight but with Flexing it happens. Happened in 2007 for Pats and also Redskins in 2007.

With Pats/Jets probably didn't want it on a Thursday 4 years in row(including 2012 Thanksgiving) and for the fifth time since Thursday games started.

Last edited:
1:00 game it is with deadline passed . Dont seem right having pats /jets game @1 especially with this game having high probability of being for 1st place in division

I bet they don't move it since the Giants are playing at 4. Why would they want to potentially split their audience (if that is even allowed) and I don't see Giants/Cowboys as being a more compelling match up than Eagles/Carolina at night. I'll be glad if they don't move it as I like 1:00 pm games.

I bet they don't move it since the Giants are playing at 4. Why would they want to potentially split their audience (if that is even allowed) and I don't see Giants/Cowboys as being a more compelling match up than Eagles/Carolina at night. I'll be glad if they don't move it as I like 1:00 pm games.

Well it never really had a chance at being moved to 4pm. CBS likely protected and FOX likely protected Giants/Cowboys. Which then FOX and CBS would have had to agree to swap those two games and there was just no way. FOX doesn't like that they have go to give up one of the Giants/Cowboys games for SNF they are definitely not going to trade it for Patriots/jets

Oh and not sure about flex to SNF. Pats would not be happy because already have a short week with Thursday Night game the next week. And flexing to night game makes it shorter by 8 hours

That's a good point! I'm glad the game is at 1 pm and not 4 pm. More time to prepare and rest.

Giants/Cowboys wouldn't get moved. Top 5 markets. All about that $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye