PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will J Sanders be shown the door?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other important thing to factor in here is salary. Sanders is a $3 million backup.

As much as some posters hate Merriweather, his salary is very team-friendly.

Sanders did play in over 70% of the snaps last year. Chung was around 72% and Meriweather around 80%. I don't think we can consider Sanders a backup with those numbers, we just seem to use three safeties fairly often.

By that logic, Wilfork is an $8m backup.

Last edited:
If Sanders isn't a decent tackler, I'd like to know what you think of the other 3 Safeties tackling ability ;)

I know Chung is our best tackling safety.

I relize that Sanders total cap of $3,508,120 is a heavy figure for a back up, but as of now he is first man up when Chung or Meriweather sit down or we go to 3 safety sets. The Pats have Page,Berrett and Mcgowan also chalenging for time but Page and Barrett are still learning the system and I have great reservations as to Mcgowan's durability, being that he has been in the league for 6 yrs. and been or IR 4 times. Although Mcgowan may challange Sanders for the no.1 back up I feel Sanderes gets the nod because of greater system knowledge and Mcgowans lack of durability.
The wild card may be that I feel Sanders may be good enough to start on a few other teams in the league, and either Page or Barrett may impress BB enough to be an accepable back up. In that case the team may be offered more than they could turn down for Sanders giveing Mcgowan a reprieve.
As far as Dowling is concerned, he is too new and unproven to the system. He may very well be able to play CB or Safety, but as of now he knows nothing of either possition and must still prove himself.

Last edited:
Sanders did play in over 70% of the snaps last year. Chung was around 72% and Meriweather around 80%. I don't think we can consider Sanders a backup with those numbers, we just seem to use three safeties fairly often.

By that logic, Wilfork is an $8m backup.
Sanders also missed a game and was knocked out of a game early.

Chung missed 2 games and was knocked out of a game early.

Otherwise, all 3 would have been around the same percentage.

Sanders also missed a game and was knocked out of a game early.

Chung missed 2 games and was knocked out of a game early.

Otherwise, all 3 would have been around the same percentage.

BMW plays almost 100% in games when he isn't on the bench for freelancing.

How can you say likely? I understand he had the issue earlier this offseason but I think the statement should say if the front office cant come to terms with what happened than he is likely gone. For all we know Meriweather may have fully cleared this up with the team and it could be a non-issue.

"Likely" might be strong, but I'm looking at James Sanders, Patrick Chung, Jarrad Page -- all of whom played OVER a healthy Meriweather as last season progressed -- as well as Josh Barrett, who the F.O. liked enough to acquire him despite knowing he had a season-ending injury. Couple that with Meriweather's inadequacy at the position and his iffy off-field (not to mention ON-FIELD) behavior, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them tell the two-time "Pro Bowler" to take a hike.

Last edited:
"Likely" might be strong, but I'm looking at James Sanders, Patrick Chung, Jarrad Page -- all of whom played OVER a healthy Meriweather as last season progressed -- as well as Josh Barrett, who the F.O. liked enough to acquire him despite knowing he had a season-ending injury. Couple that with Meriweather's inadequacy at the position and his iffy off-field (not to mention ON-FIELD) behavior, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them tell the two-time "Pro Bowler" to take a hike.

OK then wouldn't be a big surprise but I still think its doubtful.

This team has a basic 3-safety rotation that includes Chung, Meriweather and Sanders, and it has other safeties that serve more specific roles.

I expect that to continue this season. What might make the largest impact upon the safety position is the return of Bodden, because that should take some nickel/dime snaps away from the safeties.

Last edited:
Can't really take an article that references' Profootball Focus' stats too seriously since it has multiple times been proven that PFF's stats are incorrect in a lot of places, but I will play.

I think Sanders will stay at this point. Whether he sticks around will depend on free agency, Brandon McGowan's health and whether he returns to 100%, whether Ras-I Dowling gets converted to FS (which I am guessing), and whether Jarrad Page is an RFA or an UFA when football starts again. If McGowan either start or be part of a heavy rotation until Dowling is ready to step up (assuming he isn't staying at CB) and Page is here, Sanders might be the odd man out.

I'm seriously thinking that Brandon McGowan's days here are over (as much as I do like him). He is the only one without a contract right now, and may have been passed by/forgotten about a bit with the addition of Barrett and Page last yr. The acceptable play of the rookie Brown may add to the departure also.

With Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, Barrett, Page, and Brown all vying for competition for the main 6 spots that will be cut to 5 for the 53 man roster.

I do not believe there has been one thing that links Dowling to playing safety this year, and truly believe that he's definitely a CB for 2011. That said, we may be able to have the luxury of only keeping 4 safeties this yr instead of 5, thus freeing up a roster spot. The thinking in this is obviously the versatility, or 'supposed' versatility of Dowling--who could play FS in a pinch if absolutely necessary. It will be interesting to see if Dowling is moved there after the year, but I am betting that he stays as a nickle/dime CB for 2011, slowly being blended into game reps without having an enormous burden of having to learn as much in a shortened off-season. His responsibilities will be minimal, (they would have been even WITH a whole offseason) and that does not point anywhere to me as having him play free safety.

As far as the OP's original question--NO!!! Sanders is not going anywhere this year. Didn't we just re-sign/extend him last year? What did he do besides have likely his best year here? What would make anyone feel as though that Sanders was on the bubble? His backline QB'ing calls, leadership, and overall play are way too important for that. They made up their minds last yr by extending him, and he proved everyone correct.

I see absolutely zero controversy regarding James Sanders (unless you're talking to DW Toys ;) )

I think Dowling will stay at CB.

I read an opinion that he was drafted to match up with the taller WRs in the league. Makes sense. Regardless, you have Mcourty, Bodden and Arrington as guys that you know can play the starting two CB positions right now. The caveat is that can Bodden return to form after being away from the game for long? Furthermore, out of all the player groupings, the NE defensive backfield always seems to be the hardest hit with injuries.

I think Bodden will be fine. It was a rotator cuff, not a leg-related injury, so it shouldn't affect him too much.

James Sanders is currently the best facilitator of communication in the Pat's secondary. He's no burner, but he knows the defense, can cover, is not a liability in the run game and has a nose for the ball. He's also a hard worker, good locker room guy and very affordable.

Exactly. Belichick appreciates having a smart vet in the secondary. Why cut him? Even if there is a cap, the team is currently way under it.

Sanders is mostly invisible on the field, but has made some very, very big plays in his time. Remember his pick that turned the tide of the Baltimore game in 2007? The pick to seal the Indy game last November? This guy has value and I'd rather keep him around another year while Chung and Dowling season.

DBs who we would be pleased to see on the field:

McCourty
Bodden
Dowling (we hope)
Arrington (some of us, and then not with great enthusiasm)
Merriweather (some of us, despite his screwups)
Chung
Sanders (some of us, despite his limitations)

Anybody else?

That's a list of 7, with a lot of question marks among them.

I don't see any of them being excess baggage.

Even if you like McGowan or Page better than I do, or think Butler will get it together (I actually believe that's pretty likely), or think that Brown is the next Arrington (so what if he is?), the analysis doesn't much change.

DBs who we would be pleased to see on the field:

McCourty
Bodden
Dowling (we hope)
Arrington (some of us, and then not with great enthusiasm)
Merriweather (some of us, despite his screwups)
Chung
Sanders (some of us, despite his limitations)

Anybody else?

That's a list of 7, with a lot of question marks among them.

I don't see any of them being excess baggage.

Even if you like McGowan or Page better than I do, or think Butler will get it together (I actually believe that's pretty likely), or think that Brown is the next Arrington (so what if he is?), the analysis doesn't much change.

He usually carries 9 or 10.

I'm assuming Dowling plays a fair amount of corner. Wilhite and Butler fight it out for the fifth corner spot. If Dowling is a pure safety than Wilhite and Butler probably both make it and there's a real crunch with Sanders/BMW.

The best of Lockett/Barrett/Page-(if they free agency rules let them keep him cheap) /Malcom Williams/Brown makes the team to play special teams.

Maybe two of them do depending on how they want to cover special teams with the new wedge rules--perhaps they keep two special teams safeties instead of a safety and a LB.

It will probably clear itself up because chances are somebody will get be hurt or will have gotten ineffective because of injuries.

James Sanders is currently the best facilitator of communication in the Pat's secondary. He's no burner, but he knows the defense, can cover, is not a liability in the run game and has a nose for the ball. He's also a hard worker, good locker room guy and very affordable.

He had a good year last year but the ugly fact remains....Pats=next to last in yards against passing. Can't get off the field in third down. I have no idea where this "good on coverage" is. I was pleased at the Colts INT, But wasn't that Cunningham waking Peyton?
The culprit for our horrible PYA? I say Mr. Sanders......but what do I know.

Solid against the run? This article says no.

Affordable? $3m for a backup Safety with very, very limited skills is kind of high...don't ya think?
DW Toys

Not a chance. He was the team's best safety last season. Chung is still shaky in coverage and Meriweather is too inconsistent. Sanders is a solid veteran leader in the secondary. I expect the safeties on the roster will not change at all from the end of last season (Chung/Meriweather/Sanders/Brown OR Page).

That page's entire reasoning is based on missed tackles. The idea that Jon Wilhite would make the team over James Sanders based on some ridiculous missed tackles stat is laughable, to say the least.

PT you say a lot of correct things. I disagree here.

Not laughable. Saying this for years. $3m for a limited back up Safety is way too much.

Best Safety? Stats say Chung but he is still young. Why Sanders is the weak link? Less tackles than the other two, Bad on coverage (do you agree that next to last in the NFL in pass yards against.......and most of that was up the middle?) and the missed tackles.

I agree with the CBA stuff that it might not change. Dowling will play some Safety in 2011.

I agree that Wilhite is another issue.
DW Toys

Exactly. Belichick appreciates having a smart vet in the secondary. Why cut him? Even if there is a cap, the team is currently way under it.

Sanders is mostly invisible on the field, but has made some very, very big plays in his time. Remember his pick that turned the tide of the Baltimore game in 2007? The pick to seal the Indy game last November? This guy has value and I'd rather keep him around another year while Chung and Dowling season.

I appreciate your take. I respect that. In my opinion, he is a liability in the pass in a major way that stats prove, he is too expensive and now this. I see Cunningham as the main reason of the Peyton INT. It was a decent INT.

I have said my piece. Sorry, I am boring myself. Way too many replies from me here Cousins. No more at all on this on this post on him. I'm out....(clapping hands from fellow posters that I am done!).
DW Toys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back