PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Goodell keep his word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill B.

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Goodell said that if there was no agreement in place before the CBA expired he would take a salary cut to one dollar. This whole mess is just further proof to me of the mans incompetence. When this thing is finally settled, he should be fired. I highly doubt that he is going to tun down 10 million dollars. Even he only takes one dollar, he will be vastly overpaid.

Goodell said that if there was no agreement in place before the CBA expired he would take a salary cut to one dollar. This whole mess is just further proof to me of the mans incompetence. When this thing is finally settled, he should be fired. I highly doubt that he is going to tun down 10 million dollars. Even he only takes one dollar, he will be vastly overpaid.

Goodell has failed. This was his big chance to prove his worth and he blew it.

If this whole mess ends with Goodell fired then it will have almost been all worth it.

goodell didn't fail, that's like saying rozelle failed

one man can't save a disaster

even in unstoppable it took 2 men lol

Apparently, Goodell has a contentious relationship with the NFLPA.

You know, it would not surprise me at all if the NFL is being really truthful and they need like a couple of hundred million from the players to spread around to the low market franchises.

After all, the present SUPPLEMENTAL fund that is spread among the teams is right now $100 million.

But Goodell played this all wrong. He offered the union a $800 million cut yesterday, down from $1 billion.

And now, just an hour before the players HAD TO file for decertification, they say, let's split the difference, $650 million?

BULL.

The NFL was playing PR games today, especially Mara.

I know everyone on this board hates Goodell, but the whole situation has a lot of people to blame and many of them are no longer associated with the NFL or the NFLPA anymore. This mess was years in the making.

Goodell is a shining example of "the Peter Principle". He rose to the level of his imcompetance. if they don't play football I'll just do other things it's not that important in my life.

Goodell has failed. This was his big chance to prove his worth and he blew it.

goodell failed?

the nflpa was never going to settle. the last 2 weeks were posturing. THATS IT...its blatantly obvious

I know everyone on this board hates Goodell, but the whole situation has a lot of people to blame and many of them are no longer associated with the NFL or the NFLPA anymore. This mess was years in the making.

Perhaps, but I submit that the commissioner is culpable as the man who is supposed to demonstrate acumen and leadership to ensure messes like this don't spin out of control.

Perhaps, but I submit that the commissioner is culpable as the man who is supposed to demonstrate acumen and leadership to ensure messes like this don't spin out of control.

he didnt? it appears the league put out a fair offer. the nflpa had no interest in settling at any time, prior to suit

Last edited:

If the reports of what the league's final proposal is true, there was nothing Goodell could have done except completely cave to the NFLPA's demands. Sorry, but I blame Tagliabue more than I blame Goodell because the last CBA caused this mess because the league rushed to get a deal done before they even knew what they agreed to and when the dust settled they realized they got screwed.

he didnt? it appears the league put out a fair offer. the nflpa had no interest in settling at any time, prior to suit

How is demanding an enormous revenue cut without justifying it anything approaching "a fair offer"?

Last edited:
If theres no football this year then you can say Goodell failed, it was always going to come to this point. Now is when the hard work begins.

..and be sure to catch the next installment of "AsThe Jetdell Spins" in which the intrepid Omissioner goes to hell and spends eternity representing foot degenerates, rapists, eternal drunks and wife beaters....coming soon on D-Bag TV!

+1. The owners actually made far more concessions than I expected, perhaps because of them losing the TV revenue case last week. My sympathies have actually shifted towards owners somewhat.

People in here are obsessed with hatred of Goodell, but this just ain't his fault.

If the reports of what the league's final proposal is true, there was nothing Goodell could have done except completely cave to the NFLPA's demands. Sorry, but I blame Tagliabue more than I blame Goodell because the last CBA caused this mess because the league rushed to get a deal done before they even knew what they agreed to and when the dust settled they realized they got screwed.
+1. I was going to say the exact same thing. I blame Tagliabue more than I do Goodell. Tagliabue was a horrible commissioner. Rampant team movement, out of control players, and setting the groundwork for today's disaster.

Rozelle is the gold standard for commissioners, but I'd take Goodell over Tagliabue any day of the week. There's a reason Tagliabue keeps getting snubbed instead of elected to the Hall of Fame.

Last edited:
How is demanding an enormous revenue cut without justifying it anything approaching "a fair offer"?

You keep harping on this "revenue cut" yet, you don't offer up what it was, exactly. Are you referring to the extra $1 billion that the teams wanted to take off the top from the $9 billion in revenue? I hate to break this to you, but it wasn't all that much when you break it down.

Here is the formula:

(Total Pot - Money to Owners)* .595 = Player portion

Old CBA:
$9 billion - $1 billion = $8 Billion * .595 = 4.76 billion ($148 million cap)

Owner Proposed:

$9 billion - $2 billion = 7 billion * .595 = 4.165 billion ($130 million cap)

The difference is $595 million. Divided by 32 teams = $18.59375 million per team.

That is a 12.5% reduction in cap space. Not a 20% salary cut. Regardless of what you think or what the players claim. But that $130 million is still MORE than the 2009/2010 salary cap that was just under $128 million.

Please remember that the salary floor would be going UP from 87.6% to 90%. So that would force the owners to spend more of their cap space.

Also, please show me where any private entity has to divulge how it plans to spend the revenue it earned?

You keep harping on this "revenue cut" yet, you don't offer up what it was, exactly. Are you referring to the extra $1 billion that the teams wanted to take off the top from the $9 billion in revenue? I hate to break this to you, but it wasn't all that much when you break it down.

Here is the formula:

(Total Pot - Money to Owners)* .595 = Player portion

Old CBA:
$9 billion - $1 billion = $8 Billion * .595 = 4.76 billion ($148 million cap)

Owner Proposed:

$9 billion - $2 billion = 7 billion * .595 = 4.165 billion ($130 million cap)

The difference is $595 million. Divided by 32 teams = $18.59375 million per team.

That is a 12.5% reduction in cap space. Not a 20% salary cut. Regardless of what you think or what the players claim. But that $130 million is still MORE than the 2009/2010 salary cap that was just under $128 million.

Please remember that the salary floor would be going UP from 87.6% to 90%. So that would force the owners to spend more of their cap space.

Also, please show me where any private entity has to divulge how it plans to spend the revenue it earned?

1.) I know what the numbers were.

2.) I've dealt with the books thing time and again. I've dealt with them extensively on this board. My postings on that topic are pretty easy to find. I'll not continue dealing with them, as I've tired of the willful ignorance that so many seem comfortable with displaying on the topic.

3.) Regarding the cap, feel free to take it up with with the NFLPA:

The NFL's current proposal would keep the player's percentage of Total Revenue at 58%, but importantly, it would reduce the amount of money that is included in the definition of TR by 18%, to allow for certain additional expense deductions. These additional expenses would be on top of the already existing $1.0 billion in expense deductions. If the 18% expense deduction were applied to the 2008 league year revenue, it would result in an additional expense credit of more than $1.3 billion. The obvious effect of this 18% expense deduction is that the players would get the same percentage of a much smaller revenue pie. Instead of each dollar of Total Revenue being included in the cap calculation, only 82 cents of each Total Revenue dollar would be included. That translates into an 18% reduction in the total amount of money included in the cap.

Last edited:
Goodell has been making $11.2 million a year since he took over in 2006. I don't think he'll be struggling to make ends meet if he doesn't collect a paycheck this year. It's not like he's out at the strip clubs making it rain.

That was nothing but an empty attempt to gain public opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes