PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Gaffney be a better #3 than Stallworth? - Could he earn more yards than Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will Gaffney be a better #3 than Stallworth? - Could he earn more yards than Welk

I dont know whats so funny. Jackson was starting with the 1's to begin camp and 1st preseaon game? Gaffney is getting his turn now. They will alternate. Chad will beat out Gaffney because he is better.

Re: Will Gaffney be a better #3 than Stallworth? - Could he earn more yards than Welk

I dont know whats so funny. Jackson was starting with the 1's to begin camp and 1st preseaon game? Gaffney is getting his turn now. They will alternate. Chad will beat out Gaffney because he is better.

Please. Just say NO to drugs.

Jackson was starting with the 1s to begin camp. Of course, so was Gaffney. Welker was on PUP.

Jackson started with the 1s in the first preseason game? That's funny. From a passing game perspective, I'm pretty sure the 1s didn't even play.

Last edited:

I love your optimism, but you have to know that starting the first preseason game means nothing. By that logic Cassel is going to be starting against the Chiefs.

remember that time in that ravens game when jackson made that catch with his finger tips, all while keeping his feet in bounds by like an 1/4 of an in.?

Gaffney would have better production because he fits the offense but he is not better than Stallworth. Stallworth was a YAC machine. Stallworth was brought to be the deep threat but then came M0$$

Considering Gaffney won the #3 WR role from Stallworth outright last year, I do think he will be better. Although, it may not translate into the same stats or better.

Stallworth was inconsistent, but he was more likely to give you the big play than Gaffney. Gaffney is far more consistent and reliable though.

My take on Gaffney is that he will put up career numbers this year because of Welker/Moss being double teamed. Gaffney gets open, he catches everything and his numbers will be 60 catches for 800 plus yards and 8 to 10 TD's:cool:

I'm a big fan of Gaffney. I think he will definitely surpass Stallworth's stats. I wouldn't be surprised if he got around 900 yards.

Ignoring Chad for a moment, has anybody who is asking who will take over Stallworth's position forgotten what happened in the second half of last season? Gaffney was getting more time on the field, more looks, more passes thrown his way, more receptions, and more yards.

To answer the original question, Gaffney became a better #3 (okay, technically a better #2) than Stallworth after/during the Eagles game. From there on it's a moot point; Gaffney is ahead of Stallworth within this team's scheme.

1. Gaffney won't outproduce Welker. Welker is a slot machine. Arguably the best slot receiver in the NFL today. Moss catches TDs, Welker moves the chains. That's just how it works.

2. Gaffney fits the Pats offense very well. He should make for a good possession receiver. Won't stretch the field but will make those catches that keeps the offense going forward.

3. Donte who? He was the best YAC receiver for the Pats and he made some spectacular plays because of his ability to run after making the catch. However I think his loss will have minimal impact. Other than defenses pinching in on Moss even more.

4. Chad Jackson. Still a mystery and still oozing with potential. He needs to 'get' the system and improve his route running before he can make an impact. Right now he's looking like the #4 WR. His hands are like glue but he's not creating enough separation. Hmmmm.

Jackson will be the starting WR opposite Moss this season -guaranteed-. The Pats are not about to sit a player on the bench who they spent a 2nd -and- 3rd round pick for, a player they almost took in ROUND 1 over Maroney, and start an average free agent pickup from Houston over him. Chad is leagues more talented than Gaffney he will get into the flow before the season starts.

Last edited:

Jackson will be the starting WR opposite Moss this season -guaranteed-. The Pats are not about to sit a player on the bench who they spent a 2nd -and- 3rd round pick for, a player they almost took in ROUND 1 over Maroney, and start an average free agent pickup from Houston over him. Chad is leagues more talented than Gaffney he will get into the flow before the season starts.
Huh??? I think if that is to happen, Mr Jackson will need to step up to the plate and produce in the next three games. Firstly, whether he's "LEAGUES more talented than Gaffney" or not, if he can not catch the ball and continues to run bad routes, he may not be sitting on the bench, for he might be gone. Talent is an intangible if one can not do it on the field, then it doesn't matter; it is that simple. "The Pats are not about to sit a player on the bench who they spent a 2nd -and- 3rd round pick for, a player they almost took in ROUND 1 over Maroney, and start an average free agent pickup from Houston over him."
That MIGHT be one of the dumbest things I have heard. You do NOT know this team or the Coach at all...THAt is something this team will not do at all....maybe you are delusional and thinking this is the Bears, the Bucs, the Niners or some other run of the mill team. I don't care if Gaffney was undrafted and rejected from the rest of the NFL teams, if he can do the starting job better than a first round pick, HE will get the job. From your thinking, Jackson is ENTITLED to that position because he was a high pick 3 years ago. TOTALLY WRONG!!!!
THAT I can assure you will not happen. Maybe in the mind of and front office of many clubs but NOT in NE.
Given that many have already thrown him away as a bust, I do think this is his time to shine and show how solid a player he is. Playing with QB Cassel did not help last week and the Ravens starting D was mighty tough. So..I'll for the most part let him slide on a few things. Running the wrong route though was VERY poor and after two years, I would think a top draft pick would NOT be doing that. And what happens when a route is run wrong?? An interception...THAT is NOT what a top pick should be doing.
With that said, I am hoping that he does well with Brady and breaks it open in the next 3 preseason games. If he continues to show bad habits of poor routes and other mental mistakes, I can only say that I think he will have a tough time sticking. I am hoping he can be that burner, that long ball threat...THAT would make all Patriot fans happy, but right now there is a big question mark over his head.

Last edited:

I don't know if anyone has said this already. But I think Gaffney is a more reliable,steadier reciever than stallwort,and will be a better #3. I doubt very much he gets more yards than Welker though.

i like Gaffney a lot, he is an overlooked player by a lot of people who has done some really good work for this team. he has worked hard to just stay in the nfl and he has shown he is a pretty reliable 3rd or 4th option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back