Welcome to PatsFans.com

Will democracy win or be stifled tomorrow..?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Jun 13, 2007.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, once again we are being told to expect a vote on whether or not gay marriage will be sent to the ballot for the people to decide. Gee, what a novel concept. The people deciding.!!

Personally, I don't have my hopes up. I doubt the gutless legislators will take a vote tomorrow. They'll just table the issue again (and again and again and again)....

But let's be honest here... they're tabling the issue until they feel they have the votes to win (so if they feel they have the votes, then they wouldn't table the issue). That's why tomorrow is most likely a lose-lose scenario for the citizens of the Commonwealth. Hey, I hope I'm wrong but I would be amazed if it actually passed....

Thanks to Nancy Pelosi the whore and Teddy Kennedy the drunk murderer, the citizens lose again..!!
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

It's going to be close. There are a handful of people who are undecided. Do they want to risk civil rights by giving in to the bigots or don't they? Do they want to give bigots a chance to protect their special rights? We'll find out tomorrow.

Meanwhile, though, on some aspects of gay rights even right-wing extremists like Bob Barr are finally waking up:

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/06/13/barr-dont-ask/
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

This won't go to ballot.
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Marriage is not a right, it's a privilege. There's no civil rights issue. Love and make love to whoever you want; that's your right. Marriage ? No. Society doesn't approve of it just like we don't approve of polygamy. Quit talking about civil rights until we make gays sit at the back of the bus or use separate restrooms :D
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

what a forgettable POS you are... how is Nancy Pelosi a "whore?"
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

How is marriage not a civil right? It entails tangible benefits (hospital visitation, taxes, estate, etc.). I could see your point with regard to a church marriage, but a marriage sanctioned by the state is another matter altogether. And there are a lot of things society didn't approve of at one point or another. Certainly, interracial marriage is a good example of that.
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

If you want to talk about civil unions with a few of the "rights" of marriage, fine. But marriage is a privilege bestowed on a societal approved union - if not I'll marry that cute single chick at work for when my wife has other plans. I still don't know what tax benefits we get, some of us get killed on Roth IRAs - and I don't think there should be social security survivor benefits for any couple other than for used to be stay at home moms. No adoption either, sorry. You want civil unions for inheritance and medical decisions, have at it.
  8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There is no more a "civil right" for a man to marry another man than there is for a man to marry 6 women, his brother, his uncle and his 2 golden retrievers.
    It amuses me how you're always bragging about people coming around to support gay rights. If that's true, then why are you so terrified of a public referendum...? After all, Massachusetts is a liberal state so gay marriage is a shoo-in to pass, right...?
  9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's what I say.... they're just going to keep postponing and postponing until they can bribe, threaten and cajole enough legislators to change sides.

Nancy Pelosi the whore has more authority in Massachusetts than 150,000 citizens. Interesting...
  10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

well, if you're gonna just go ahead and throw baseless labels out there for people without anything to back them up, then i guess it's on now...

perhaps Guliani the closet queer, or Thompson the pedophile will fix everything for your goofy repressive agenda...
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

Someday maybe you will be able marry golden retrievers, but at this point I don't think anyone's arguing for that and, if anyone is, I don't think they've made much progress in their campaign. Gays, like interracial couples and couples of mixed religions, have made significant progress in convincing people.

I think gay marriage would probably survive, but I don't want to risk my civil rights and the civil rights of others.
  12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And yet, you're still absolutely terrified of a public referendum in this, among the most liberal of states....
    Bullsh*t. If you honestly thought gay marriage would win in this state, you would want it to be voted on because it would represent a tremendous victory.
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

I think it would be close.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_marm2.htm

(2003) The Massachusetts Family Institute, a fundamentalist Christian group, reported the results of a new poll from the Boston Globe and WBZ-TV, which was released early in April. It showed that 50% of Massachusetts residents support gay marriage whereas 44% oppose it. 3

The Boston Globe reported: "In the survey, 50 percent supported legalizing gay and lesbian marriages, while 44 percent said they oppose it. Those figures are in sharp contrast to national polls in recent years. A Kaiser Family Foundation [national] survey in 2000 found that 55 percent of Americans questioned opposed gay marriage, while 39 percent supported it. A Pew Center poll in 2001 showed only 35 percent of people favor same-sex marriage." 4 The Globe/WBZ poll, taken early in 2003-APR by KRC Communications Research, had a margin of error of plus or minus 5 percentage points.

Age of subject...Supporting same-sex marriage...Opposing same-sex marriage
    18 to 39................62........................................33
    40 to 64................53........................................42
    65 and over............21........................................69

You see, QuiGon, like I've said before conservatives always lose in the long run. You're views on this matter appear to be dying. That said, it doesn't mean you can't muster up enough strength for the occasional win.
  14. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

... says the chicken terrified of actually having a vote on the subject in the most liberal of liberal states. Ya see, for all your bravado we both know you're totally full of sh*t.
  15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and for all your chickenhawking, you're really just an irrational angry coward, Qui
  16. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey where's the ultra-libreal moderator with all these insults being thrown around...? Oh yeah, I forgot... he's a scumbag hypocrite who only applies the rules of this forum selectively...
  17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I don't think the vote would go that way. People say that to pollsters because they think they're supposed to.

Conservatives always lose in the long run ? Quit making bullsh!t up and stating it as fact.
  18. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It looks more and more like they're just going to postpone the vote yet again... It's a lose-lose situation... They'll only call a vote if they think they can win...

Like I said before... it's sad how a whore like Nancy Pelosi has more influence and sway in the Commonwealth than a couple hundred thousand citizens....
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

No way gay marriage is voted down in Mass. No one with a brain should give a sh-t about what two consenting adults do with each othe and that includes issues of marriage. If some people get to benefit from laws in the Commonwealth, then all should. Being married has certain financial and legal perks, and being gay shouldn't exclude you from having them. You don't have to give up those perks if you don't have kids but are married for 40 years so what's the difference between that and a gay couple with 3 kids? Don't worry, it won't make your kids gay...or you...especially if you live in some other sh-thole state where this doesn't concern you anyways - at least it shouldn't. If the People vote it in, then we, as a society have given approval.

As ever, I think the government should get the hell out of the marriage business and stick to keeping us safe, educated, and widen Rt 1 to ease the traffic in Foxboro.
  20. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Unfortunately, just about everyone knows this statement is simply not accurate. The gay lobby is desperate to avoid a public referendum... if what you said above was true, they would be begging for one since it would help them out in countless ways.