PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Dean Pees remain as DC next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
YES, Pees will be back next year. News flash - BB loves the way that he executes his defense and they have a great working relationship.

The coach that will not be with the Pats next year is Capers. Yes, feel free to tell me why I am wrong, but just wait and see. He was a great coach back in the day but has not adapted as the game has changed. There was a reason he was available for a position coach and it is the same reason that he will not be our 2009 DB's coach.

In 2007 the DB coach couldn't get the job done and BB had Pees take over the secondary on top of his DC duties. This resulted in a cot being set up in Pees' office because he regularly had to work through the night to do both jobs. BB brought in Capers in an attempt to ease this strain. It has not worked out, and no one on this board wants to realize it.

If you do not believe me, just watch the sidelines. Pees is regularly seen in his red sweatshirt. If you do not see him there this week, ask yourself whose job he is again taking over by going up to the box.

A few things:

- Belichick may very well love Pees' performance. But since we will never hear if he is upset with Pees or anyone in his staff until they are let go, all we can do is speculate. I can only go on what I see and Belichick working with the defense in game to do the adjustments while Pees looks on makes me believe he doesn't like Pees' in game adjustments. But it could just look that way.
- If Pees is in the booth during any game, it is further indication that Belichick has lost confidence in Pees and not the other way around. Pees may have to take over other position coaches' responsibilities, but his primary job on game day is DC. If he is spending the game doing Capers' job and not his own, that means that Belichick is probably not happy with either Capers or Pees.
- As for Capers not working out or not, we don't know that. It could be the talent, not the coaching that is the problem. Capers could be the scapegoat either way though.

In 2006, I thought Pees may actually end up being a better DC than Crennel based on how he ran the defense with lesser talent than Crennel had in 2003 and 2004. But I have been disapointed the last two years. But I am not Belichick. If Belichick has confidence in this guy, who am I to argue. I just see signs that he isn't confident in this guy, but I could just be reading too much into it.

Just in case no one really noticed...the 2008 draft went heavy on defense. This season the Pats have had four rookies, two second year players (with limited playing time), and a third year OLB (with limited playing time) carving out roles on defense. That's a lot of inexperience on defense.

BB is now rebuilding his defense, which doesn't exactly point to a failure for Dean Pees, but the OP's negativity towards the Patriots this season - including this poorly thought out thread - would suggest they're the Detroit Lions to his mind.

I wouldn't exactly call the addition of one draft choice & one UDFA (both to the same position group) a rebuilding of the defense. The DL is exactly the same, and the secondary is much worse. If Mr. Peesbody can't be blamed for the laughable "talent" in his backfield, then neither can Capers. Heck, bring 'em both back; but the responsibility - and blame - should then rest squarely on the FO to provide its coaches with the personnel required to execute their game plans, a responsibility that the FO has - with few exceptions - generally shirked for the last 5 years.

I wouldn't exactly call the addition of one draft choice & one UDFA (both to the same position group) a rebuilding of the defense. The DL is exactly the same, and the secondary is much worse. If Mr. Peesbody can't be blamed for the laughable "talent" in his backfield, then neither can Capers. Heck, bring 'em both back; but the responsibility - and blame - should then rest squarely on the FO to provide its coaches with the personnel required to execute their game plans, a responsibility that the FO has - with few exceptions - generally shirked for the last 5 years.

Wheatley had become the starter when he got injured, and Wilhite is the nickel cornerback.

It's funny how during the SB seasons this board seemed to have an understanding of what having proper chemistry on defense meant to the success of the team. Why this season is chemistry so often ignored on this board as a possible reason for inconsistency? Pees has pieces to play with (and coordinate) -- but not necessarily the right ones. From my observation, this defense is out of balance. Too much inexperience on the field during any one series is ripe for mental errors. What to do if the veteran pieces you want out there are unavailable...

The right blend of players is needed to play team D under this coaching staff. It's never been all about on-paper talent or all about coaching. Having experienced players who fit the coaching philosophy, and are disciplined enough to execute each gameplan, leads to good chemistry. And the more reps TOGETHER -- the more solid the unit. If this current unit can remain intact, with no further injuries the rest of the season, there's still time to learn how to play team defense heading into the second season. IMHO, Pees is off the hook at this juncture. Will re-visit topic at season's end.

It's funny how during the SB seasons this board seemed to have an understanding of what having proper chemistry on defense meant to the success of the team. Why this season is chemistry so often ignored on this board as a possible reason for inconsistency? Pees has pieces to play with (and coordinate) -- but not necessarily the right ones. From my observation, this defense is out of balance. Too much inexperience on the field during any one series is ripe for mental errors. What to do if the veteran pieces you want out there are unavailable...

The right blend of players is needed to play team D under this coaching staff. It's never been all about on-paper talent or all about coaching. Having experienced players who fit the coaching philosophy, and are disciplined enough to execute each gameplan, leads to good chemistry. And the more reps TOGETHER -- the more solid the unit. If this current unit can remain intact, with no further injuries the rest of the season, there's still time to learn how to play team defense heading into the second season. IMHO, Pees is off the hook at this juncture. Will re-visit topic at season's end.

Two words: Rodney Harrison

So who is the better defensive coordinator.

Crenel

Mangini

Pees

I would say Crenel had the biggest body of work and is my choice out of the three.

Sorry to go a bit off topic.

And to go further off topic, if Pees leaves, who would take his DC job?

So who is the better defensive coordinator.

Crenel

Mangini

Pees

I would say Crenel had the biggest body of work and is my choice out of the three.

Sorry to go a bit off topic.

And to go further off topic, if Pees leaves, who would take his DC job?

Well with Mangini out of work shortly... lol.

I can't see it happening. I guess with Romeo being a head coach it can explain some oddness on the Brown's D. Maybe as a strict DC, he'd come back to life.

Hopefully not. This donkey is holding the Patriots back.

Hopefully not. This donkey is holding the Patriots back.

Based on what? Can't you at least try to make an rational/intelligent argument to support your claim?

Look at his body of work over the past 3 years and give me one negative trend that can actually be tied solely to him.

It is easy to echo other posters, and claim things like no QB pressure, without actually providing factual evidence. Try to do this, though, using statistical evidence over the past three years and you will find that you can't.

Please give it a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back