PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will CB be a "need" in the off-season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we did win multiple superbowls without studs at the positions.
But with the nfl changing and being the copycat league it has become.
More teams will try to focus on a strong air game.
I predict more Wr's to be chosen in the earlier rounds of this draft than years before.
We could make a strong argument that resigning Samuel could be a priority but not at the risk of offsetting the salary cap or losing the change to re up Moss.
So what should be the game plan?
I have to say alot of what we do in the offseason depends on two guys Chad Jackson, Randal Gay.
Jackson was drafted to be a game changing deep threat injuries and other inconsistencies have prolonged the development of this physical specimen and potential star.
If he can turn it on before the year is over than I predict we offer Stallworth much less than what he was expected to receive if we do try to re up him causing him to walk in free agency with or without a ring.
If Stallworth walks this will open the door for Jackson to line up opposite Moss and we should still have a world beating passing game.

Now if Randal Gay keeps up the solid play even though he has been anything besides durable.
While he is on the field he has been a consistent coverman with above average run stopping ability probally could be a re upped for 2.5 million a year or so.
Which I would be comfortable with allowing Samuel to walk and get his 70 million dollar contract with a team the likes of the rams or the redskins.

Now I don't want to sit hear and beat the Running back situation thread to death a few posters already accomplished that.

Watching the Arkansas game something happened to me, I saw Mcfadden for a guy who does not have enough bulk to pound it consistently in the middle.
The fumbles are a huge concern to me I saw that he was decisive however very little dancing before he hit the hole.
But I left unimpressed and more enamored with felix jones and their fb, plus Lsu's backs as opposed to Mcfadden.

Sorry to stray off topic a bit but my conclusion is we let Samuel walk lock up Gay, Draft at least 3 D backs in the middle rounds especially if we trade down which I am now a huge advocate of and shore up the age of lb at with Connor , Lauanitis, Malunga, Golston.

That would be my ideal scenario my only hope is some team with a top 10 pick and a stupid front office falls in love with Mcfadden or a QB.

my conclusion is we let Samuel walk lock up Gay, Draft at least 3 D backs in the middle rounds especially if we trade down which I am now a huge advocate of and shore up the age of lb at with Connor , Lauanitis, Malunga, Golston.

That would be my ideal scenario my only hope is some team with a top 10 pick and a stupid front office falls in love with Mcfadden or a QB.

Seems like a sound strategy to me. I'm not sure about drafting "at least 3 D backs" but I do think we should draft at least two and look for a JAG-ish CB that might fit our system well enough to plug in.

But I left unimpressed and more enamored with felix jones and their fb, plus Lsu's backs as opposed to Mcfadden.

What game were you watching?
I suppose you didn't notice the 205 yards and 3 TDs. Yeah ok you've got a point, that has GOT to be awful unimpressive. Give the gameball to the fullback, Mcfadden was AWFUL!! :rolleyes:

Sorry to stray off topic a bit but my conclusion is we let Samuel walk lock up Gay, Draft at least 3 D backs in the middle rounds especially if we trade down which I am now a huge advocate of and shore up the age of lb at with Connor , Lauanitis, Malunga, Golston.

So the Patriots are going to draft 3 defensive backs and 4 linebackers?? What world are you from? There are days when I am very glad our scouting/drafting is not done by fans, this is one of them!

What game were you watching?
I suppose you didn't notice the 205 yards and 3 TDs. Yeah ok you've got a point, that has GOT to be awful unimpressive. Give the gameball to the fullback, Mcfadden was AWFUL!! :rolleyes:

So the Patriots are going to draft 3 defensive backs and 4 linebackers?? What world are you from? There are days when I am very glad our scouting/drafting is not done by fans, this is one of them!

I'm pretty sure the LBs he was referring to were part of a "one of..." group. Brains are fun to use. Check it out.

No. I don't mean safety. And yes, I know he came out of school as a corner. He has failed to impress at that position when tried there. I hope you're right, that would be a wonderful miracle to fill out our CB corps, and protect against Asante leaving for FA, but I don't see it.

He's been the starting safety since 2003.

I haven't even seen him play corner, much less seen him tried there enough to make a judgment.

When is it you've seen this?

I'm sorry I never meant to say all 4 Lb's that be an incredible pipe dream and would never happen.
I meant one of the linebackers to shore up the age I should of been more detailed in my post.

Yes I am sorry I wasn't overwhelmed with Mcfadden we would never attempt to run that style of offense with Mcfadden as the Qb as he seems to excel in.

They didn't go to him on third down as much as they went to Felix Jones for the tough yardage.
Mcfadden looks like a poor mans LT maybe with a NFL weight program he could get the bulk needed at the position to take the punishement he will receive with that running style.

I'd argue that Rashad Mendenhall will be a better back in the NFL than Mcfadden and can probally be had in the second or third round range.

I'd only spend a mid round pick on a RB no higher due to the face we have Morris we have Faulk who has 2 more efficient years in him at least.
I still stand by the fact we have a potential a POTENTIAL gamebreaker top tier rb in Maroney.
To answer the questions some posters asked would I draft Maroney again, only back I would rather have is Maurice Jones Drew love the way he plays the game.
Maroney is extremely young has all the potential in the world if it's the fact he won't change his running style for the good of the team than ship him off.
I think we will all be laughing at the maroney flamers once the playoff's start.

So what happens if the Pats can't trade out of the #2 spot? Please don't say somebody will make a trade because there are any number of reasons that the right trade might not come along and nobody can know for sure. Who do they pick? I kind of like using McFadden as a WR and RB.

Eugene at safety experiment, you mean. He was a consensus low first round corner who never played safety in college.

He was switched almost immediately because of emergency. I have no problem drafting cornerbacks, but i don't lust after draft picks either.

I have said our needs are LB, CB but if we fill them more affordably with experience, I don't rule it out.

Wilson was tried some at CB in TC this year where reports(Riess and a Herald reporter) said he didn't look so good there. Either way I think Wilson will be gone next year. He may not push out Sanders to start at FS again this year.

So what happens if the Pats can't trade out of the #2 spot? Please don't say somebody will make a trade because there are any number of reasons that the right trade might not come along and nobody can know for sure. Who do they pick? I kind of like using McFadden as a WR and RB.

I don't know that the Patriots will get the #2 spot. There's 6 games to go. The 9er's aren't likely to go on a 6 game win streak either -:) If I have to guess I don't think they'll be using this pick. Even if what they get doesn't jibe with that value chart.

I don't know that the Patriots will get the #2 spot. There's 6 games to go. The 9er's aren't likely to go on a 6 game win streak either -:) If I have to guess I don't think they'll be using this pick. Even if what they get doesn't jibe with that value chart.

"99, I asked you not to tell me that." :)

You're probably right and they will find some kind of trading partner even if it means a loss of value. I still think it's interesting to surmise their action if forced to take the pick.

Last edited:
"99, I asked you not to tell me that." :)

You're probably right and they will find some kind of trading partner even if it means a loss of value. I still it's interesting to surmise their action if forced to take the pick.

If they do have to use the pick because they can't get at least what they consider a minimum return, I'd guess they go defense. It's where they have the most age.

Wilson was tried some at CB in TC this year where reports(Riess and a Herald reporter) said he didn't look so good there. Either way I think Wilson will be gone next year. He may not push out Sanders to start at FS again this year.

Meriweather was tried there and looked worse, I'm sure. I think he's been replaced at safety because he doesn't have the stomach to hit like a safety anymore.

He hasn't played corner for real in 4-5 years. Considering they had to look at a rookie, look at another rookie safety at the position and prepare for the season with or without Asante, I doubt he got enough time to relearn the position.

Considering the circumstances, "didn't look good" might have just meant he looked like a guy who hadn't played the position fulltime for 5 years.

He's been the starting safety since 2003.

I haven't even seen him play corner, much less seen him tried there enough to make a judgment.

When is it you've seen this?

it's extrmely unlikely Eugene could be full time corner at this point after playing S for a few years. on top of this are health concerns.

in short, relying on an oft hurt Safety to be a full time CB next year is folly

it's extrmely unlikely Eugene could be full time corner at this point after playing S for a few years. on top of this are health concerns.

in short, relying on an oft hurt Safety to be a full time CB next year is folly

It's either that or cut him IMO. I'm all for drafting CBs and ILBs. I've seen BB convert marginal players before so I'm just offering the possibility.

If the price is right and Wilson puts forth the effort, why can't a former high pick relearn a position and provide depth at two? No reason I can think of.

It's either that or cut him IMO. I'm all for drafting CBs and ILBs. I've seen BB convert marginal players before so I'm just offering the possibility.

If the price is right and Wilson puts forth the effort, why can't a former high pick relearn a position and provide depth at two? No reason I can think of.

the reason is that CB is an extremely difficult/valuable position to play (which is why they make big $$$, more than safeties) and Wilson hasn't played there in years.

I mean there is a chance, but I think the odds are way against him. it would be like ARod moving back to shortstop at this point - he would likely be wayyy worse than he used to be

the reason is that CB is an extremely difficult/valuable position to play (which is why they make big $$$, more than safeties) and Wilson hasn't played there in years.

I mean there is a chance, but I think the odds are way against him. it would be like ARod moving back to shortstop at this point - he would likely be wayyy worse than he used to be

From what I read of Meriweather's experience, he's got a better shot than him. Of course cornerback takes more skills, that's why the tebucky Jones experiment was ridiculous.

Fact is, Eugene was a top corner in college and all he's done is add experience at a similar position. I'm not talking about starting and the fact is we have a 3rd, 4th and F.A. as it is.

If Eugene works at it, there's no way he can't be a great backup at 2 positions. We have the coaches.

Everything I've read/heard from the PFW guys at patriots.com is that Geno is NOT good at corner. Those are the people who've seen him practice/play the most who are allowed to speak their minds coming out of Foxboro, and I trust that over anything I - or anyone else here - have gleaned from watching games, pre-season or otherwise.

Randall Gay is a MUST sign if we lose Samuel. We'll be alright if we have Hobbs, Gay, and if we can strike gold with a nice CB pickup in the 2nd or 3rd rd of the draft. If we lose Samuel and Gay, than we are going to have issues.

Wilson has a 2M salary this year, I believe.

He's a FA after this year, I don't know if they sign him or what his market value is. I would think not that good since he's been injured so much.

It would be hard for him to go from 2M this year to a pay cut next year, I'd think.

Everything I've read/heard from the PFW guys at patriots.com is that Geno is NOT good at corner. Those are the people who've seen him practice/play the most who are allowed to speak their minds coming out of Foxboro, and I trust that over anything I - or anyone else here - have gleaned from watching games, pre-season or otherwise.

I don't know how well he could do with some serious work, but I don't think anyone else does either. It could be the guy just doesn't have the enthusiasm for the game anymore, he does look listless to me.

As for PFW, if they told me it was sunny out, I'd bring an umbrella, that's my personal opinion of that crew. Like a bunch of junior high kids who broke into the school radio station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back