PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will CB be a "need" in the off-season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Asante Samuel is likely - or at least possibly - going to wind up elsewhere in the upcoming season. Perhaps the Patriots will open the vault for him, perhaps not. (I think they won't, but will be fine if they pay him.) If he does leave, it's very likely they'll move to re-sign Randall Gay. If they sign him, it's very likely, IMO, that Gay heads for greener pastures.

Either way, with the so-so play of Ellis Hobbs and the lack of too many other alternatives at corner, it's a strong possibility that the Patriots will NEED to use a high-end draft pick on a top corner (a Day One pick for certain, could be a #1 pick) to help supplement the loss(es).

To me the corner position - even as it is, healthy and present right now - is an injury away (or an off-season FA loss away) from being dangerously thin. IF ASANTE LEAVES, do you think the Patriots would be wise to earmark the SF #1 (or the assets we can derive from trading it) for upgrading this position?

In other words, if Asante leaves, do we have any reason to believe that the Patriots F.O. would be reckless enough to spend the lucked-into #2 (or whatever) overall pick on a running back instead of corner?

Quite possibly. We have the luxury of not needing a talent upgrade other than at CB and LB.

I think a reasonable contract and switch back to CB is an option with Wilson too.

Quite possibly. We have the luxury of not needing a talent upgrade other than at CB and LB.

I think a reasonable contract and switch back to CB is an option with Wilson too.

The "Eugene Wilson at CB" experiment looks to be over, as does - possibly - the "Eugene Wilson as a Patriot beyonf 2007" experiment.

You don't think this is a huge opportunity to GET that talent upgrade on top-end players in the draft - to the point that drafting a RB with a top 5 pick isn't reckless? I mean, I guess we could try to address those "needs" in later rounds, but to me it seems like the perfect time to turn the page and re-load with a stud at LB/CB that we don't usually get picking late in the 1st.

CB will be a major Day One need as it has been every year since Belichick arrived.

The "Eugene Wilson at CB" experiment looks to be over, as does - possibly - the "Eugene Wilson as a Patriot beyonf 2007" experiment.

You don't think this is a huge opportunity to GET that talent upgrade on top-end players in the draft - to the point that drafting a RB with a top 5 pick isn't reckless? I mean, I guess we could try to address those "needs" in later rounds, but to me it seems like the perfect time to turn the page and re-load with a stud at LB/CB that we don't usually get picking late in the 1st.

Eugene at safety experiment, you mean. He was a consensus low first round corner who never played safety in college.

He was switched almost immediately because of emergency. I have no problem drafting cornerbacks, but i don't lust after draft picks either.

I have said our needs are LB, CB but if we fill them more affordably with experience, I don't rule it out.

Hmmmm. Assuming Asante leaves, why, if the Pats make an effort to sign Gay, would that result in Gay leaving? Didn't understand the logic there. One of the two will be re-signed.

Meriweather may be a possibility as a conversion. He did take a lot of snaps there in TC.

But yes, a corner will be on the draft board on day one.

Eugene at safety experiment, you mean. He was a consensus low first round corner who never played safety in college.

He was switched almost immediately because of emergency. I have no problem drafting cornerbacks, but i don't lust after draft picks either.

I have said our needs are LB, CB but if we fill them more affordably with experience, I don't rule it out.

No. I don't mean safety. And yes, I know he came out of school as a corner. He has failed to impress at that position when tried there. I hope you're right, that would be a wonderful miracle to fill out our CB corps, and protect against Asante leaving for FA, but I don't see it.

We've won SB's with extreme weakness at the CB position. With no other major needs other than LB, I do see us drafting a corner or two (or switching a safety or two).

Obviously not in his opinion.

Assuming Asante leaves, why, if the Pats make an effort to sign Gay, would that result in Gay leaving?

It wouldn't. Not what I meant, sorry if it was confusing. I think the Pats will be dangerously thin at CB unless we sign both - so one of them leaving, even if the other stays - doesn't address the severe NEED that will result.

Corner has to be our #1 priority going into the offseason since we will have only Hobbs and Eddie Jackson at the end of the season, and the possibility of shifting a sophomore safety.

I think Gay is the key to the offseason and to the draft.

man...every day it's a new "what if in April at the draft" thread...thread after thread after thread beating down the draft doors...in the meantime there's this thing called the regular season going on but it's as if no one even cares...weird

Why is it weird? Everyone is waiting for the playoffs.

man...every day it's a new "what if in April at the draft" thread...thread after thread after thread beating down the draft doors...in the meantime there's this thing called the regular season going on but it's as if no one even cares...weird

I agree there's a good chance Asante walks, and that if he does the Pats will need at least one new CB.

I strongly disagree it would be "reckless" not to use a first-round pick on same. After all, the Pats' current top three CBs are a 4th round pick, a 3rd round pick, and a UDFA.

Joker, my man, just thought it was a fun topic worth some exploration, especially in light of the braindead "let's draft a running back because Maroney is terrible!" trend on this site.

Don't forget Richardson will be back from IR. He had an encouraging pre-season and will be like a draft pick that knows the playbook.

I understand what you are saying, but God, its so much better than the stomach churning threads about what everyone else is saying or thinking of us and our team. Makes me wanna hurl. And they make up almost all of the threads now getting posted. Anything else but that. Again.

I strongly disagree it would be "reckless" not to use a first-round pick on same. After all, the Pats' current top three CBs are a 4th round pick, a 3rd round pick, and a UDFA.

Fair point, Fencer, but I submit it would be a bit different in this scenario since we'd be needing said drafted CB to come in and start right away as, hopefully, a #1 shutdown corner, since he'd be replacing Asante. In that case, I think even a rookie CB taken in round one might be risky to depend on as a starter out of the gate. Maybe a lesser FA CB???

Hank Poteat should be tired of being a Jet this offseason ... I am sure.:D

Asante walks (we ain't paying what others will), so I think we'll end up ponying for Gay, who'll probably command more then he did last year. Either way, we'll still need another immediate plug-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes