PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Cassel succeed Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skri65

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
When Brady goes (retires, i assume), will Cassel be our starting QB? Will they draft a new QB, or perhaps sign a different one?

Thoughts, opinions welcome.

Last edited:
When Brady goes (retires, i assume), will Cassel be our starting QB? Will they draft a new QB, or perhaps sign a different one?

I really don't see Cassell sticking around for 10+ more years waiting for Brady to retire.

Tom is entering his prime as an NFL QB.

So, I don't understand why this question would even enter somones mind.

Tom is entering his prime as an NFL QB.

So, I don't understand why this question would even enter somones mind.

Relax. It's a hypothetical question. It can be asked whenever, it's not a threat or anything. Eventually Tom will retire, do you think Cassel will be here, ready to take over?

Just because Tom is entering his prime doesn't mean I can't ask the question.

Last edited:
I doubt it. When next season starts Tom will be 30, Matt will be 25. By the time Tom retires Matt will be 30 or older. If he's good enough to be an NFL starter he is not going to wait until he is 30 to get his first starter's job. If he isn't, well then he still won't be Tom's replacement. BTW, Cassel is only signed for 2 more years.

Last edited:
Cassel is only signed through 2008, and unless he regresses into the kind of player we wouldn't even want backing up the franchise, he will be gone in 2009 (if not traded in 2008) to be a starter or top end backup elsewhere ('cause BB isn't going to pay him $2M+ per to carry a clipboard, run a scout team and eat up pre season minutes here and more than he would Huard). Brady is signed through 2010, and given his age and performance to date will likely be extended by 2008 into 2012-2013+. I fully expect to see at least 2 new QB faces in Foxboro whether draftees, UDFA's, misguided JAGS BB sees promise in in the right system, etc. come May in the hopes that one of them makes the initial grade.

I really don't see Cassell sticking around for 10+ more years waiting for Brady to retire.
Brady's going to be 30 this year, we're looking at a 5-6 year window with him IMO, not 10+. But I agree with the end result of your statement.

Last edited:

WHO THE HELL CARES

That is when he goes down which you shouldnt expect until the day he possibly retires and he is only about to be 30.

I don't think he will be around that long....although i prefer to not think of the day when TB retires...as we saw last night what a bad qb can do!:cool:

This is kind of a silly question as Brady will be here at least another 6 years...and cassel will not be here by that time........Besides, not crazy about what I have seen overall from Cassel out there......not sure if/when he will be a NFL starter.......one man's opinion

I dont understand why you would even talk about that right now. Good idea jinx our starting QB so he gets injured.

Jeeze, guys. I was just thinking about our quarterbacks, and I was thinking about Cassel and his future as a Patriot. Realistically, perhaps the question is a bit premature. But keep in mind, Cassel only has 2 more years on his contract and I was curious about your opinions for his future.

Those who think i'm 'jinxing' Brady need to relax a bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye