PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Cassel be franchised tomorrow (Feb 5/09)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the CBA:

"if the Club extends the tender pursuant to this Subsection (a)(i), the player shall be permitted to negotiate a Player Contract with any Club . . ."

Furthermore, if the Patriots plan to franchise Cassel, they can grant him permission to negotiate with other teams.

My point is that I don't believe Cassel is a free agent until the new league year begins. I don't believe receiving the tender changes that fact. His existing contract terminates at the end of the league year unless the team terminates it early.

Of course the Pats can give Cassel permission to shop himself in a trade (they could give Brady or anyone else permission as well) but any contract talks until the league year begins is tampering. Even if the Pats don't want to pursue the issue, I doubt Goodell wants teams talking with players still under contract with other teams.

Last edited:
ctpatsfan77 said:
From the CBA:

"if the Club extends the tender pursuant to this Subsection (a)(i), the player shall be permitted to negotiate a Player Contract with any Club . . ."

Furthermore, if the Patriots plan to franchise Cassel, they can grant him permission to negotiate with other teams.
My point is that I don't believe Cassel is a free agent until the new league year begins. I don't believe receiving the tender changes that fact.

It seems pretty clear to me that he can negotiate as soon as he is tendered...

My point is that I don't believe Cassel is a free agent until the new league year begins. I don't believe receiving the tender changes that fact. His existing contract terminates at the end of the league year unless the team terminates it early.

Of course the Pats can give Cassel permission to shop himself in a trade (they could give Brady or anyone else permission as well) but any contract talks until the league year begins is tampering. Even if the Pats don't want to pursue the issue, I doubt Goodell wants teams talking with players still under contract with other teams.

if the Club extends the tender pursuant to this Subsection (a)(i), the player shall be permitted to negotiate a Player Contract with any Club . . .

It's pretty clear from the language of the rule that Cassel gains the right to negotiate with teams once the nonexclusive franchise tag is placed on him. It's a rule. The language says 'shall' meaning it's a mandatory right that he gains as soon as he is tendered.

Last edited:
It's pretty clear from the language of the rule that Cassel gains the right to negotiate with teams once the nonexclusive franchise tag is placed on him. It's a rule. The language says 'shall' meaning it's a mandatory right that he gains as soon as he is tendered.

You have to read the full rule:

if the Club extends the tender pursuant to this Subsection (a)(i), the player shall be permitted to negotiate a Player Contract with any Club as if he were a player subject to section 5 below...

Section 5. Right of First Refusal for Transition Players: Any player designated as a Transition Player shall, at the expiration of his prior year Player Contract, be permitted to negotiate a Player Contract with any Club.

Not a lawyer but I don't see anything that allows a player under contract (and he is under contract until the new league year begins) to negotiate with another team.

Don't have time to read the full post, but I doubt they'll franchise Cassel straight away. Don't teams usually wait until the deadline? There really is no advantage to tagging them beforehand for the team. All it does is give the player more time to debate whether or not they want to sign the tender. (Though in Cassel's case that's probably irrelevant, as he'll sign it as soon as it comes off the printer ...)

Re: Will Cassel be franchised tomorrow?

KontradictioN;1274572[B said:
]He will definitely be franchised tomorrow. No questions asked. I would be absolutely shocked if he wasn't and the Pats let him walk away for nothing.[/B] they'll franchise him, monitor Brady, then dangle him as trade bait. Hopefully that all takes place prior to the draft.

I think we were all saying the same thing last year about another patriot.

I think we were all saying the same thing last year about another patriot.

:confused:

I assume he means Moss. Painfully, glaringly obviously different scenario.

Didnt say it was the same scenario, just pointing out that a number of people swore that "moss will be tagged on the first day" and then when he wasnt, everyone had a panic attack.

As of noon ET, NFL teams are eligible to place the franchise tag on impending free agents. Won't be surprised if it doesn't happen till the last day tho

I can still see a scenario in which Cassel signs the tender when offered - which would I assume prevent him from being viable trade option - as fewer teams will be interested in giving up a high pick to sign a guy who is only on a one year deal (I believe if he signs it they need to wait a year to sign him to a new deal)

If he signs it and is relegated to riding the bench at $14.5 million, what's the downside for him? He bears little risk of injury - and would not harm his value (as opposed to playing badly) so he'd still be able to get the same type of longterm deal with a big signing bonus in 2010.

Schefter thinks Cassel will command $25 million in signing bonus money this year. Next year, with the prospect of no salary cap - it could be even higher. But even if its the same, over the 2 year period Cassel would collect $40 million instead of $25 by signing a long term deal this year.

Fans often make the mistake of looking at the long term contract he potentially would sign this year as, say 6 years $60 million and ask why he would accept $14.5 million this year and give up $60 million - but of course most know that the salary is not guaranteed. Only the signing bonus money is "real" - everything else is fictional until he makes it to that year to collect that salary. It doesn't matter if someone signs him to a $200 million contract - unless its guaranteed it might as well be Monopoly money.

Only the guaranteed money counts - and he could get every bit as much in guaranteed money NEXT year by sitting on the bench this year - PLUS an extra $14.5 million.

So over a 2 year period by signing the tender he'd be looking at $40 million guranteed plus a long term contract of as much, or more value than any he'd sign this year...

As opposed to signing a long term contract this year and collecting $25 million in guaranteed money. That extra $14.5 million is nothing to sneeze at.

I actually don't think this will happen for one important reason - Cassell's not greedy, and after several years on the bench, he wants to PLAY. But from a fiscal standpoint, signing the tender would make a lot of sense.

I can still see a scenario in which Cassel signs the tender when offered - which would I assume prevent him from being viable trade option - as fewer teams will be interested in giving up a high pick to sign a guy who is only on a one year deal (I believe if he signs it they need to wait a year to sign him to a new deal)

If he signs it and is relegated to riding the bench at $14.5 million, what's the downside for him? He bears little risk of injury - and would not harm his value (as opposed to playing badly) so he'd still be able to get the same type of longterm deal with a big signing bonus in 2010.

Schefter thinks Cassel will command $25 million in signing bonus money this year. Next year, with the prospect of no salary cap - it could be even higher. But even if its the same, over the 2 year period Cassel would collect $40 million instead of $25 by signing a long term deal this year.

Fans often make the mistake of looking at the long term contract he potentially would sign this year as, say 6 years $60 million and ask why he would accept $14.5 million this year and give up $60 million - but of course most know that the salary is not guaranteed. Only the signing bonus money is "real" - everything else is fictional until he makes it to that year to collect that salary. It doesn't matter if someone signs him to a $200 million contract - unless its guaranteed it might as well be Monopoly money.

Only the guaranteed money counts - and he could get every bit as much in guaranteed money NEXT year by sitting on the bench this year - PLUS an extra $14.5 million.

So over a 2 year period by signing the tender he'd be looking at $40 million guranteed plus a long term contract of as much, or more value than any he'd sign this year...

As opposed to signing a long term contract this year and collecting $25 million in guaranteed money. That extra $14.5 million is nothing to sneeze at.

I actually don't think this will happen for one important reason - Cassell's not greedy, and after several years on the bench, he wants to PLAY. But from a fiscal standpoint, signing the tender would make a lot of sense.

I am pretty sure he has to sign the tender to be traded. I am also pretty sure he can renegotiate a contract and sign it the day he is traded :singing:.

If he gets traded, he will make esentially 30 million guaranteed. signing bonus and first years salary. If he is as good as we seem to think he is, he will get the signing bonus and multiple years, bring his take up to the $40M range. If he stays with the Pats he get 14.6 guaranteed for one year. Matt is a nice guy, but passing up a chance at $30M because he is loyal to the Pats would be nuts. I mean, the Pats like him but are trading him away because he isn't worth the $30M to them.

I am pretty sure he has to sign the tender to be traded. I am also pretty sure he can renegotiate a contract and sign it the day he is traded :singing:.

If he gets traded, he will make esentially 30 million guaranteed. signing bonus and first years salary. If he is as good as we seem to think he is, he will get the signing bonus and multiple years, bring his take up to the $40M range. If he stays with the Pats he get 14.6 guaranteed for one year. Matt is a nice guy, but passing up a chance at $30M because he is loyal to the Pats would be nuts. I mean, the Pats like him but are trading him away because he isn't worth the $30M to them.

Well, with Brady no longer having a left leg since it fell off during rehab......

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote until the "I actually don't think this will happen."

I think if tendered, Cassel will sign the tender before the ink is dry. Why wouldn't he? It's a dream come true. At a minimum, he makes $14.5 million, plus it's very likely he goes to a team where he can start because, at the end of the day, everyone knows the patriots are unlikely to use up $14.5 million in cap room on a backup QB unless they absolutely have to.

You make it sound as if there's no risk to signing the tender, when in fact there is. Regardless of what his actual worth might be, there will almost certainly be more talent available at QB next year than this year. Right now, if you're looking for a QB who can be your long-term solution, Cassel's pretty much the only available option.

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote until the "I actually don't think this will happen."

I think if tendered, Cassel will sign the tender before the ink is dry. Why wouldn't he? It's a dream come true.

Because he's not you and he might have different aspirations/dreams?

Why wouldn't Cassel sign the tag on the first? Perhaps because he and his agent want to choose the team he plays for and wants to see if any team he wants to play for will offer the patriots two firsts: the jets and vikings come to mind. Signing the tender turns over the power of decision-making to the patriots.

I think if tendered, Cassel will sign the tender before the ink is dry. Why wouldn't he? It's a dream come true. At a minimum, he makes $14.5 million, plus it's very likely he goes to a team where he can start because, at the end of the day, everyone knows the patriots are unlikely to use up $14.5 million in cap room on a backup QB unless they absolutely have to.

I heard on NEST last night that they cannot tag anyone before 8PM tonight. I have no idea if that is true or not.

please provide 5 sources to verify this....

haha. im just playing

Why wouldn't Cassel sign the tag on the first? Perhaps because he and his agent want to choose the team he plays for and wants to see if any team he wants to play for will offer the patriots two firsts: the jets and vikings come to mind. Signing the tender turns over the power of decision-making to the patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back