PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Brian Waters Return to the Patriots?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Brian Waters return to the Patriots for the start of the season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted "yes" because I think Waters is legally bound by the results of this poll;)

Please. This is much ado about nothing. Everyone knows the deal.

He'll be in Foxboro before the end of August.

I sure hope so.

Please. This is much ado about nothing. Everyone knows the deal.

He'll be in Foxboro before the end of August.

Well, except Mike Reiss, that is (but what does he know?)

Chat: Chat with Mike Reiss - SportsNation - ESPN Boston

"I really don't have a great read on Waters other than my belief it could go in any direction. Part of me reads into Dan Connolly being more locked into right guard in recent weeks as an indication that the team isn't planning on Waters being back. But then you consider that Waters came in the week before the season opener last year, and why wouldn't he be able to do that again? Just a hard one to assess without all the facts. If Waters has a personal issue that is keeping him at home in Texas, it completely alters the picture."

Maybe you're right and he'll be back, but the question needs asking.

Well, except Mike Reiss, that is (but what does he know?)

Chat: Chat with Mike Reiss - SportsNation - ESPN Boston

"I really don't have a great read on Waters other than my belief it could go in any direction. Part of me reads into Dan Connolly being more locked into right guard in recent weeks as an indication that the team isn't planning on Waters being back. But then you consider that Waters came in the week before the season opener last year, and why wouldn't he be able to do that again? Just a hard one to assess without all the facts. If Waters has a personal issue that is keeping him at home in Texas, it completely alters the picture."

Maybe you're right and he'll be back, but the question needs asking.

Mike, did you see how the Pats raced to cut Dane Fletcher (a risky move)?

Have they done the same with Waters for that precious roster spot?

I'm sure any probowl caliber player can skip training camp and still have a good season -- that doesn't mean that they should, or that they wouldn't play better with the camp.
<sarcasm> Hell, why not just throw in a rule that says "if you're over 30 practice is optional"</sarcasm>

I wouldn't be suprised if the situation was was
Waters: "I'm going to skip training camp so deal with it or cut me"

or
Waters: "I need some more money so give it or I'll retire"

The guy is at/near the end of his career. He'll have thenext 45 years to do whatever he wants. If he wants to play football, he should be in camp. Not just for himself, but to get practice working with the other OLineman and mentoring the younger ones.

Last edited:
Mike, did you see how the Pats raced to cut Dane Fletcher (a risky move)?

Have they done the same with Waters for that precious roster spot?

Fair point. But I suppose that if he were havering and they're giving it a last push to get him to change his mind they wouldn't be closing the door either.

I think the silence by BOTH parties, implies a mutual consent. Whatever the result, both sides are in agreement with the strategy. If that's the case then it's very likely that he'll be here, within 2 weeks.

It would be very easy for some media outlet to confirm either retirement or playing. All they'd have to do is send someone to Texas and follow him around for a few days. If he's working out, then he's coming back. If he hanging at the barber shop, he isn't. It's as simple as that.

Belichick is on record as saying that the situation is the same as OTA's, which was an excused absence. I agree with those saying he would have retired by now if he wasn't coming back.

I hate to say it, but I'm not 100% that he'll be back and it doesn't have to do with money. The pounding these guys take makes preparing for each season, after a while, gauging whether they can physically get ready to endure the aches and pains for one more season. sometimes the answer is no. I'm guessing he's working out and communicating his condition to Belichick.

Usually, by this time though, it's either retire or give it one more and I hope it's the latter. Great job last year.

Last edited:
The fact that Water's jersey number had not been given out to anyone indicates to me that it's more likely than not that he is coming back.

None of us know whether the F.O. Has heard much from Waters,but if he has not communicated much about his decision,I feel that is an injustice to this team being kept on a tightrope not knowing what the starting lineup on the OL is going to be by week 1.

Last edited:
The fact that Water's jersey number had not been given out to anyone indicates to me that it's more likely than not that he is coming back.

None of us know whether the F.O. Has heard much from Waters,but if he has not communicated much about his decision,I feel that is an injustice to this team being kept on a tightrope not knowing what the starting lineup on the OL is going to be by week 1.

Just because WE don't know the makeup of the starting OL, doesn't mean BB doesn't. I'm guessing Waters shows up in about 10 days or so.

Does anyone know what is going on with robert Gallery, he was supposed to be the insurance policy at OG?

....or
Waters: "I need some more money so give it or I'll retire"

....because that corporate law practice he has secretly been running all these years will supply him all that money he needs?

Last edited:
IMO, it would be kinda d!ckish to actually leave a team hanging this long if his intention was really to retire. Waters doesn't seem like a d!ckish guy, so my assumption is that he is just waiting out TC and that BB and the team already knows that.

Just can't believe he'd leave a team hanging like that.

IMO, it would be kinda d!ckish to actually leave a team hanging this long if his intention was really to retire. Waters doesn't seem like a d!ckish guy, so my assumption is that he is just waiting out TC and that BB and the team already knows that.

Just can't believe he'd leave a team hanging like that.

I really think he's working out and seeing if his body can take another season. I guess you'd have to feel what it feels like to put crawl out of bed in the morning to realize why so many O linemen just retire without being beat out for a job. Hell, we just had one.

I really think he's working out and seeing if his body can take another season. I guess you'd have to feel what it feels like to put crawl out of bed in the morning to realize why so many O linemen just retire without being beat out for a job. Hell, we just had one.

Yeah, I think it's hard to understand the rigors of an NFL training camp, let alone a full season. Gallery was game and apparently did everything asked of him, but he realized that his body just wouldn't respond, so he retired. Matt Light had one of his best seasons last year, but decided that he just didn't have enough left in the take - whether mentally, emotionally or physically - for another season, so he retired. Waters is 35 and has played 12 seasons. I don't think this is about money, or just wanting to miss camp and spend time with his family. I think that he has to decide whether he's mentally up to the grind of another season, and it may take until the last minute for him to make a decision.

I'm giving him two more weeks before I start worrying. As of right now, I fully expect him to be back.

Well, we have a really solid majority think he'll be back (close to 3:1). I wouldn't have predicted it would be that clear-cut. From your keyboards to ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing