PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Brandon Tate see the field in 2009?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Does anyone have any updates on Brandon Tate?

Will he be on the PUP or IR?

Will we see him on the field at all in 2009?

On the one hand, I hope so, b/c he could be really good, especially as a kick returner. I had to go down to UNC for work shortly after the draft and I remember a PR person there saying the consensus was definitely that Tate was better than Nicks.

On the other hand, if its a redshirt season, so be it, its a packed roster as it is, so it just allows us to put one more guy on there who can contribute.

Who knows. He tore his ACL earlier in the year than Deion Branch tore his (a year earlier) and Branch was PUPed but returned that (the year following the injury) year. So it is fully realistic that a WR can return for the following season. Of course we don't know how his rehab has been, plus he wouldn't know the offesnse (on the field) the way Branch already did in Seattle.

My guess is he'll be activated and return kicks so he can also be on the practice field to be ready as a WR in 2010.

The most likely scenerio is PUP, the Trainers will want to build him up to NFL strength standards and this allows them time and brings him back for Special Teams work in mid-season. That said, he could very well be ready for Camp too, it's what's best for him and the Team.

Yes, they will let him have a look at it.

Play? No. He plays a position requiring running and cutting. That's if he returns kicks, if you're talking about risking his knee so he can learn and play 5th string receiver and not play, he can not play while rehabbing and saving a roster spot.

I can't imagine they fail to find anyone that can return kicks on this team.

Same here. Usually, he's got a detailed lowdown about these things.

What? Didn't you hear, Belichick penned a book in the offseason: The Brandon Tate Story: How Brandon Tate is faring from his ACL injury, and the likelihood of him playing in 2009.

Im surprised BB has been mum on this.

rofl, comment of the day.

IMO, he'll probably be PUPed at first, and then evaluated from there. Belichick certainly isn't the type to hold a roster spot open for someone who may or may not be able to contribute.

rofl, comment of the day.

IMO, he'll probably be PUPed at first, and then evaluated from there. Belichick certainly isn't the type to hold a roster spot open for someone who may or may not be able to contribute.

Most rookies could benefit from a red shirt year... whether its reality or an excuse, seems to me the Pats - with limited roster spots and 12 draft picks - drafted him with the intention of giving him a year on the PUP.

As much as I would like to see him play, I'd rather have him rest the entire year to make sure he is fully healed by 2010. With the offense the Pats have, who needs a kick returner? ;)

Last edited:
To answer the OP's question directly and succinctly...NO.

To answer the OP's question directly and succinctly...NO.
IR means he can't practice with the team. It's a big hit to his development, I wouldn't say no so quickly. Especially as a normal ACL recovery says that he'd be ready sometime in training camp and certainly after being PUPed.

You may be right but they won't IR him dismissively, that hurts his long term chances by not practicing all year.

I tend to dubt he will see the field in 2009. He is almost certain to start the year on PUP. He will practice with the team the maximum time he can without being activated and IRed after week 10. I just think roster spots are too valuable to use on a rookie coming off a significant injury who has missed minicamps, training camp, and the preseason.

I tend to dubt he will see the field in 2009. He is almost certain to start the year on PUP. He will practice with the team the maximum time he can without being activated and IRed after week 10. I just think roster spots are too valuable to use on a rookie coming off a significant injury who has missed minicamps, training camp, and the preseason.
If he's healthy, and he should be if his rehab went well, he will hopefully be returning kicks and getting WR reps in practice. It's a long term setback to not practice all year.

Comparing him to Branch and his torn ACL, if you look at the dates of the injury and when Branch returned, Tate should be able to play WR (physically) by the start of the season. Branch returned after being PUPed but sustained his injury way later in the season. Of course, Tate won't play a lot of WR being a rookie. If he isn't able to be activated after being PUPed, he either didn't make normal progress in rehab or the Patriots refused to find a roster spot which seems weird given that they found a spot for the less talented Slater last year.

Complete recovery from an ACL can be two years. In the case of a RB or WR/KR you'd really need to use the guy at less than 100% for a year and we don't. He's a rookie and not guaranteed a spot.

In Brady's case, he's not a runner in the first place, so a less than complete spring in his step doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Complete recovery from an ACL can be two years.
It can be. But.

Deion Branch had his ACL fixed on February 7. He played on November 16. 9 months later.

Brandon Tate had his ACL fixed on October 15. Nine months later is July 15. Two days from now.

This doesn't mean Tate will be ready for camp, or the season, or the second half of the season. But he absolutely CAN be based on a similar WR's rehab.

Having been born in October of 1987, Tate is not even 22 years old yet. Let's hope that the Patriots have the sense to make sure that this kid doesn't step out on the field one second before he's completely ready. Given the depth chart at wide receiver, my preference would be for the team to put the guy on IR. He'd still be able to learn the playbook, watch film, pick the brains of the veteran receivers and use the facilities to get his body ready for the rigors of the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes