• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike the Brit

Minuteman Target
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A simple yes-no question in all of the roster cutdown scenarios.

I'm voting no just because I don't think the Pats can afford to carry 5 RBs due to needs to keep other players in other areas. If the Pats are planning to do more 4-3 and still staying with the 3-4 too, they will need to carry an extra LB or d-lineman or two.

Well, it's not a simple yes or no question. The two factors are:

1) how secure Belichick feels with Maroney and Taylor and Morris, and

2) how many people Belichick keeps at other positions.

On the first point, I'd bet he probably doesn't feel that secure, given Maroney's coming off injury, Taylor's around 96 years old, and Morris has also shown to miss games with injury.

On the second point, he's not keeping a "real" fullback. He'll probably go with six wideouts (if not seven) given the depth and importance. The key question is at tight end. Is Smith a goner? Will someone dangle a "too good to refuse" trade for Watson? If he only keeps two TEs, then he'll have room for BJGE.

That would be a valid concern if BJGE was above replacement level, but hes not. Even if you're afraid your entire RB staff is going to fall over and die, theres no reason to give a replacement level player a roster spot. You can pick guys like him up in the middle of the season.

Well, it's not a simple yes or no question. The two factors are:

2) how many people Belichick keeps at other positions.

On the first point, I'd bet he probably doesn't feel that secure, given Maroney's coming off injury, Taylor's around 96 years old, and Morris has also shown to miss games with injury.

On the second point, he's not keeping a "real" fullback. He'll probably go with six wideouts (if not seven) given the depth and importance. The key question is at tight end. Is Smith a goner? Will someone dangle a "too good to refuse" trade for Watson? If he only keeps two TEs, then he'll have room for BJGE.

I can't recall BB ever keeping just two TEs. Even last year, when he basically ran a one-TE offense, he still kept three TEs.

Kid has good potential, I love how he is explosive hitting the hole for good yardage. Not saying he's LT, but apart that he's proven to be durable, has good feet and moves the ball hard.

What part of 3.7ypc is good yardage?

The part where you remember how many of his carries were in short yardage situations (e.g. see how many touchdowns he has).

idk....that is a big question this year though...

but since morris and fred will be gone soon, and since maroney is a ?, and faulk is getting older.....yes, i think BB keeps him

I think the amount of attention BJGE draws in a backfield with Brady throwing to Moss and co. would differ tremendously from playing with Cassel. Teams didnt respect Cassel much at all. Theyre not gonna be stacking any lines with Brady QBing this team. I say keep him. He gets no respect here because of all the old guys we're keeping and Maroney's 1st round status.

Maroney hasn't played full season since he was drafted by Pats. Doesn't necessary mean he will be injured again this season but its hard to imagine BB having blind faith he won't be.

Fred Taylor is 33 year along with Sammy Morris who is 32 along with Kevin Faulk who is 33 as well. Faulk has been pretty durable for us but with Morris playing sparingly this pre-season, I think it is sensible thing to have young capable back up.

1) I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick signed a short-yardage back or a fullback, even at this late date.
2) Morris is back at practice. There is not now, nor has there ever been, a reason to carry five running backs, with no fullbacks among the five.
3) If Belichick wants extra insurance against injuries to two or three of the four running backs, then there are two options: a street free agent when all those injuries happen or picking up a better player than Green-Ellis before Game 2.
4) IMHO, Green-Ellis just isn't worth as much as the special teamer or OT that would be cut in order to keep him on the roster. I could see risking having 8 OL's for six weeks in order to carry a veteran running back as insurance, but not Green-Ellis.

BOTTOM LINE
I feel much more strongly that Green-Ellis doesn't belong on the 53 than I do that we couldn't improve the team by bringing in a running to upgrade the team at certain skill sets.

Green-Ellis isn't better than ANY of our four running backs, not at any skill.

Any given team can find a player like BJGE at any given time in the year, though thats no discredit to his strength or work ethic, or running hard, etc.. The depth at RB is just too strong to carry a young, low-ceiling RB. I wish they hadn't used up his PS eligibility last season, but it is what it is - he's not one of the best 53 players on this team, or one of the best 4 RBs.

Last edited:
I think the amount of attention BJGE draws in a backfield with Brady throwing to Moss and co. would differ tremendously from playing with Cassel. Teams didnt respect Cassel much at all. Theyre not gonna be stacking any lines with Brady QBing this team. I say keep him. He gets no respect here because of all the old guys we're keeping and Maroney's 1st round status.

You're making a very good point here. BJGE's real game totals come with Cassel at QB.

I hope we see BJGE early and often this week.

3 TE's 5 RB's. I'm almost positive. And being wrong here doesn't mean much anyway, lol.

Bam Childress redux.

I'm shocked that so many of you think he's going to make it with Morris, Taylor, Maroney and Faulk around.

So why is Chris Taylor here as well?

If BJGE has little chance to make the team does that mean Chris Taylor has NO chance?

Chris Taylor has NO chance. Someone has play garbage time in preseason games. Green-Ellis and Taylor have done fine in that role.

So why is Chris Taylor here as well?

If BJGE has little chance to make the team does that mean Chris Taylor has NO chance?

Interesting options for this poll, but I think the most likely scenario is absent from it:

YES, but with another team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back