PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will BB be Coach of the Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Belichick had been suspended for half the year, how many games do you think the team would have lost? How much was Belichick's COACHING worth this year, compared to others. Personally, I think a lot of coaches, including many of our assistants could have done what Belichick did this year. I understand your position, that the COY award should ahve nothing to do with coaching, but rather it should be a team achievement award. I just disagree.
For example, I think coaches in Jax, Cleveland and Buffalo all did great jobs with what they had.

NO ONE IS ARGUING that HCs in Cleveland, Tampa, Buffalo and other spots did great jobs, or that they did so with LESS. However, what the Patriots are about to do is something that has NEVER BEEN DONE. It is historic. And it's not just that, it's that they accomplished this with an astronomic level of distractions, against the odds, something that people who actually KNOW football realize is nearly impossible to do.

Yours is a truly BRAINDEAD argument. Just stop.

Last edited:
Then why don't we just dispense with the voting and automatically give it to the coach of the team who won the SB.

No one is arguing that. Please don't join the crowd of clueless people who need to lean on strawman arguments to make their point. It's beneath you.

NO ONE IS ARGUING that HCs in Cleveland, Tampa, Buffalo and other spots did great jobs, or that they did so with LESS. However, what the Patriots are about to do is something that has NEVER BEEN DONE. It is historic. And it's not just that, it's that they accomplished this with an astronomic level of distractions, against the odds, something that people who actually KNOW football realize is nearly impossible to do.

Yours is a truly BRAINDEAD argument. Just stop.

Thank you, we're definitely on the same page!

Besides, what team hasn't benefitted from the "work" done in the previous years, and the "smart" efforts of the front office? Does that make ALL those coaches worthless? I don't think so. All the work adds up but the Coach still has to make the team deliver.

Belichick also has many front office-type responsibilities that has led to us having a 15-0 team, so it's stupid to not credit him with some of the acquisition and development of the talent. An award for all game day coaching is just silly since there's very little you can do to evaluate game day coaching by it's self and even then anyone who thinks Crennel, del Rio or Jauron is a better game day coach then Belichick is.

Realistically, the award is given to the guy who's team exceeded expectations the most. That could still be Belichick, but it probably means Crennel or Gibbs.

We seem to have two debates going on here:

1 Will he win? Almost all agree he won't.
2. Should he win? Most Pats fans think the answer is yes. Others think a lot of coaches could run the table with this team.

I disagree with the last argument. It takes a tremendous amount of focus, drive and smarts to go 16-0, not to mention the Holy Grail of 19-0. Everyone is out to get us. Except for the last game, we are our opponents' SB. Yes, we have great personnel and have been blessed with relatively few debilitating injuries. But in the last 35 years, there have been other great teams and coaches (Packers, Niners, Cowboys, Bears, Giants, Steelers, Colts, etc). None went undefeated.

Let's sit back and enjoy history in the making. With the salary cap and parity, will we live to see it again?

Belichick has done absolutely nothing extraordinary this year. Personally, I have no doubt at all that if he had been suspended for half the year, the results would have been the same. He is the coach and chief architect of the patriot dynasty. He is not coach of the year.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, especially from a Patriots fan. If you want to argue that someone else should desreve it for whatever reason, ok. but to say he hasnt done anything "extraordinary" ... last I checked no team has ever gone 15-0 and to assume that if he was suspended for half of the year they still would have the same record I think is a giant leap.
Many of the interviews from players on this team have said how he has pushed the team harder than ever this year and done the best job since they have been here etc etc.

he is the coach of the year because of his accomplishment

1- He has been with pats for 7 years and has 3 SB rings and up comming 4th SB ring.
2- Before Randy Moss and other players joined pats, they were not impressive. Look at them right now.
3- 15-0 record and history record.

if he does not receive it, i don't know who will deserve it. He undoubtly has a good reputation.

if somebody tells me that BB can't be the coach of the year because of *, some coachs have been videotaping all year longs and none of them achieves what BB achieves. Just ask Jet's coach and he will agree because his team record is 1-14.

even if BB sits out for half season, he still involves in Pats's game plan even though he can't show up during the game

Last edited:
I do not downplay Belichick's achievments or the importance of coaching. Belichick has established himself as a HOF coach. He has been responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining a plan for a dynasty. Bu we are talking about an award for this year. It took a perfect storm for us not to be the SB champion last year. We came into the offseason as one of the three top teams in football. The front office added many top players. They have been few injuries. There has been little adversity. This year's team did not need heroic COY performances by its coaching staff to win. We simpley needed to play he hand we had: A Super Bowl quality team PLUS Moss, Thomas, Stallworth, Welker, and Morris PLUS those like Harrison who weren't available at the end of last year.

The point is not that ANY team can go 15-0. The point is that belichick and the front office had brough this team to position where we expected to easily win our division and likely win at least 13 games. I believe that we wouldn't have lost any more games if Pees or Dante were coaching. Do you disagree?

We did discuss this issue at the beginning of the year, when it seemed possible that Belichick might be suspended. Almost no one here thought that the team would miss a beat.

Yeah, I disagree. You're hallucinating about last season, when we made it to the AFCCG by the skin of our teeth on the road as a 4th seed with a no name receiving corps and a battered and shorthanded defense that finally hit the wall. After falling apart like a cheap shirt in Denver the previous post season. He deserved it then, too, like Brady deserved the MVP, but they gave it instead to a guy who proved he and his team were mere one and done flukes in a weakassed conference like the one McCarthy engineered his turn around in this season.

And as I recall you were one of those who seemed to want to see BB suspended - heck you want Kraft to slap him around for the freakin' injury report you somehow think is an affront to all that's holy. I don't think anyone here who is rational believed then or now that this team would not miss a beat if BB were suspended. If they did, they are nuts. Pees and Dante are nice guys, good technicians, Belichick is the system. It's not just scheme, it's the way he handles the media and the players day to day week to week and crisis to non-crisis - and you just can't acknowledge that aspect of the system. Belichick is the guy who determines weekly approach, and sets the tone, and assistants just flush out and implement his decisions. Do you not see him on bended knee personally coaching up a red zone defense that was among the worst in the league in the first half into one of the best down the stretch...

And as for little adversity, Rodney, Richard, Rosie and Morris say Hi.

This team has gotten to this juncture under more pressure and media scrutiny than any team taking a shot at the mark in the history of the league. That in and of itself is just amazing. Every other team folded shortly after arriving at double digit wins. They were able to roll the dice on Moss ONLY because of BB and the ego-less tone he sets and maintains here on a consistent basis.

I don't get what it is with you where this team is concerned anyway. You will grudgingly give Parcells more credit than he deserves, yet you seem to imply that they team was never that bad and somehow always destined to win it all regardless of who was at the helm or on the field. That's about as contrarian as it gets, mg. Should we take it all the way to if Billy came up a day late or a grand short it wouldn't have mattered because sooner or later someone would have bought an eventual NFL winning franchise to us???

can you name a NFL coach which has 3 or 4 SB ring during his 7 years with the team.?

if BB does not get it, i don't know who will.

If the Browns get in the playoffs, and the Pats finish undefeated, I feel that there should be a tie of the award for Romeo Crennel and Belicheck getting the award. Crennel was virtualy on his way out of Cleveland, but the season he had it is difficult for him not being considered. If the Browns get in, it will be the first playoffs ever in the new Browns history. As we all know, the original Browns are in Baltimore. Tampa was in the playoffs two years ago, and the Bucs were not a bad team.

So COY has nothing to do with this year. You want Belichick to get for his achievements over the past seven years.

can you name a NFL coach which has 3 or 4 SB ring during his 7 years with the team.?

if BB does not get it, i don't know who will.

This team has gotten to this juncture under more pressure and media scrutiny than any team taking a shot at the mark in the history of the league. That in and of itself is just amazing.

Absolutely correct.

So COY has nothing to do with this year. You want Belichick to get for his achievements over the past seven years.

Belichick should win COY for THIS year alone. How on Earth can you possibly deny this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes