PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Asante sign before 4 PM today? (PFT, 10:55 PM 7/15: Pats, Samuel NOT close)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering Deion Branch said things looked good to getting something worked out about three weeks before the relationship between him and the team was irrepairably broken, I am not all that optimistic that a deal will be done today.

Samuel's agents have been reportable not on board with Samuel's very public stance of threatening to hold out and have been trying to get Samuel to tone down his rhetoric. I think their public strategy would be to be very positive to the press. That means I don't know if they really are truly optimistic a deal would get done or sooth some of the tension caused by Samuel's public statements.

I am slightly more optimistic than before, but this is something I will have to see to believe. I just don't see this deal happening unless one or both sides cave in their expectations quite a bit. From what I know of both sides, I still have doubts that it will happen. Maybe the Vasher deal was more relevant than Samuel's agents made it sound.

The one thing that went a long way to dismissing Eric McHugh's optimistic report from Saturday was Shavers' comment to Karen Guregian that she "got it from the horse." I took that as indication that Eric was speaking to an lower-ranking associate who clearly was not in a position to offer a definitive statement.

The sam karen Guregian who has taken up the Wrong Bogus mantle in attacking BB? Sorry, she's as worthless as Bogus is....

The sam karen Guregian who has taken up the Wrong Bogus mantle in attacking BB? Sorry, she's as worthless as Bogus is....
I don't know about that. Whether or not she's got a mind to 'attack' the coach is not the point.

The point was that Shavers, in quotations, seemed to be directly, or indirectly, referring to Eric McHugh's piece over the weekend that was based on comments from another individual in Shavers agency. "You got it from the horse." I was simply pointing out that could be taken as indication that perhaps the other guy wasn't really in a position to be making those comments to McHugh.

I'd love to see this thing dealt with today so that it no longer hangs over the team. However, the optimism I had on Saturday morning is lessened a bit by the reporting today.

the freeney deal probably put dollar signs in Asante's eyes again. I'll join those who have stuck their necks out to make a prediction and say that it's 10--1 that he won't sign by today's deadline. hope i'm way wrong.

the freeney deal probably put dollar signs in Asante's eyes again. I'll join those who have stuck their necks out to make a prediction and say that it's 10--1 that he won't sign by today's deadline. hope i'm way wrong.

I don't think that it would. They play different positions and the pay scale is different.

Samuel would be comparing himself to Dre Bly and Nathan Vasher. I think the Pats need to hit somewhere in between to get a deal done.

I wish he would sign. I check the computer every 10 minutes. But he won't. His tattoo won't let him.

I don't think that it would. They play different positions and the pay scale is different.

Samuel would be comparing himself to Dre Bly and Nathan Vasher. I think the Pats need to hit somewhere in between to get a deal done.

Except Samuel's agent already dismissed the Vasher deal as being nothing like Samuel's situation and that he shouldn't have to take as little as Vasher took. I bet that his agent is throwing Freeney's deal in the Pats' face though. That is the way the game is played. Any deal that can help your cause is very relevant and any one that doesn't isn't even if the reality is the opposite. Samuel's agent will argue Freeney's deal is more relevant because Freeney was a franchised free agent and Vasher was under contract hence would take less to get a deal done early.

Funny though, Branch didn't think he should take less than Reggie Wayne eventhough Branch had a year left on his contract and Wayne was a free agent.

Im going out on a limb NO DEAL...

i dont see this getting signed today, he will hold out of camp.

Except Samuel's agent already dismissed the Vasher deal as being nothing like Samuel's situation and that he shouldn't have to take as little as Vasher took. I bet that his agent is throwing Freeney's deal in the Pats' face though. That is the way the game is played. Any deal that can help your cause is very relevant and any one that doesn't isn't even if the reality is the opposite. Samuel's agent will argue Freeney's deal is more relevant because Freeney was a franchised free agent and Vasher was under contract hence would take less to get a deal done early.

Funny though, Branch didn't think he should take less than Reggie Wayne eventhough Branch had a year left on his contract and Wayne was a free agent.

Except the Freeney deal has absolutely NO relevance what so ever. One is a DE and the other is a CB. You're comparing apples to grapfuits.

I don't think a long term deal is getting done. I think he will sign the tender, and probably hold out for some of camp (why go through a full camp if you dont need to) and will report in time to play the full season. He may stay out so he misses preseason game to avoid injury potential.
He will play the year under the tag, and both sides will have a changed opinion next spring, and they will start this process over again.

I would say NO DEAL....pessimistic as I am....but he will sign the tender..I do think he will report...he does need some time in camp..not only to get into football shape but also to learn to play with the backfield...if he does not and pulls in late, he amy not be playing immediately and that is hardly the way to be on an important year... This is not baseball where it's mostly all individual..

Except the Freeney deal has absolutely NO relevance what so ever. One is a DE and the other is a CB. You're comparing apples to grapfuits.

Says you. that is your perspective, and the only perspective that matters is that of Asante and his agent.

Freeney is a top 5 DE, but not the best. Asante is a top 5 CB, but not the best. Freeney just became the highest paid DE by a fairly large margin. It isn't outside the realm of possibility that Asante thinks he could become the highest paid CB.

So while your viewpoint is valid, it is far from the only one.

I'm not comparing anything. I never ever said that I thought Freeney had anything to do with Samuel, but you damn well know that Shaver has brought up the Freeney deal in every conversation with the Patriots since Friday.

In fact, up until very recent years, CBs usually got more than DEs. Seymour, Kearse, and one or two other DEs have shifted that balance a bit. So Shavers may be using that point to ask for close to Freeney type money for all we know.

Agents will use any other player's deal that is favorable to them to boost their player's asking price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back