PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Asante sign before 4 PM today? (PFT, 10:55 PM 7/15: Pats, Samuel NOT close)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will Asante sign before tomorrow?

He'll sign before 4 tomorrow. You don't hear noises like these from agents without the deal getting done.

If you asked me last week, I would have said 15%. But there are news reports which seem to give us some reason for optimism... I figure...

25% - New Contract Sign Sealed and Delivered :D
50% - No new contract, Samuel signs franchise tender :)
25% - None of the above :(

Not me - I would retire to Aruba, but keep a condo in Foxboro so as to not miss any home games!!

I would cry myself a river all the way to the bank!!

yeah that would be sweet......

good call, im going to remember to do that when i get rich.

then im going to buy a nice 2 bedroom timeshare in Gary Indiana

IF, he does not get hurt AND IF has a good / great season.

Thats two IF's versus security by taking the deal.

What would you do?

You're assuming the Pats are willing to offer something that Asante views as fair market value.

The guy with the "get paid" tatoo, I believe is, within reason going to milk as much money he can within a one year period as is possible.

The risk/reward scenario for playing next season, risking injury, but playing on a GREAT team is one that Asante would believe holds more reward than risk.

Whatever his signing bonus would be this year, he's thinking he can get much MORE than that next year. Meanwhile he's STILL getting nearly $8 million - probably half of what the Patriots would offer as a bonus this year. That's not bad for one season and takes some pressure off signing a long term deal this year.

So look at it this way if you are Asante (and if you're Asante, you don't think you're going to have a sub par season on this team!):

$8 million this year and $20 million next in free agency in a signing bonus (assuming no tag next season) or $16 million this season and next (given the likely low actual salary this and next season)

Add to that the possibility that the Pats would split up the bonus money regardless - he's looking at $16 million this season, with his next round of free agency years away - or a total $28 million by next season with $8 million of that guaranteed now.

That's an extra $12 million by my ballpark estimations - a reward well worth the risk for simply playing one season on an exceptionally gifted team.

FWIW per PFT:

POSTED 10:55 p.m. EDT, July 15, 2007

SAMUEL, PATS NOT CLOSE

A league source tells us that, despite a Saturday report suggesting that the New England Patriots are making progress toward a long-term deal with franchise-tagged cornerback Asante Samuel, the two sides are not close on a multi-year contract, and no talks are occurring.

Per the source, the Patriots made Samuel a bottom-line offer "months" ago, and there has been no substantive dialogue since then.

The source also said that the Patriots currently plan to use the franchise tag again on Samuel in 2008.

Stay tuned. The deadline for finalizing a long-term contract is 4:00 p.m. EDT on Monday.

Wow, there's quite a bit of (misguided) optimism in this thread.

I was initially thinking 5%, but even 1 in 20 seems too good. I'll go with there being a 2% chance Asante signs an extension. I just don't see what has changed where a deal can suddenly be brokered.

No way do the Patriots organization bow down and budge for what the current offer is on the table,they rarily ever had and won't this time either.

The way this will end is simply the fact that Asante will sit tonight and think deeply does he want to play NFL football this year or sit out and do other things until 2008 when he hopes they trade him.

Its up to him - final word on where this goes begins and ends with the brain of Asante and HIS decision - no one else..including this FO.

FWIW per PFT:

SAMUEL, PATS NOT CLOSE

A league source tells us that, despite a Saturday report suggesting that the New England Patriots are making progress toward a long-term deal with franchise-tagged cornerback Asante Samuel, the two sides are not close on a multi-year contract, and no talks are occurring.

Per the source, the Patriots made Samuel a bottom-line offer "months" ago, and there has been no substantive dialogue since then.

The source also said that the Patriots currently plan to use the franchise tag again on Samuel in 2008.

Stay tuned. The deadline for finalizing a long-term contract is 4:00 p.m. EDT on Monday.

They always overplay their hand.

Anybody here believe there's a source that knows what the Pats are planning for 2008 that will talk to PFT?:confused: :rolleyes: :p

By the way, has PFT found out that Toby is the Senior Vice President and partner of the founder at the agency representing Samuel?

Seems to me they owe him an apology for implying he wasn't authorized to speak about Samuel's contract situation.

Not me - I would retire to Aruba, but keep a condo in Foxboro so as to not miss any home games!!

I would cry myself a river all the way to the bank!!

Aruba sucks

If I was Asante I would play for the tender and sign next year. After taxes that leaves him 4 mill. Even if he has a disapointing year this year he will probably get a 4 year 15 mill contract in the market with another 4 mill sb.

If you asked me last week, I would have said 15%. But there are news reports which seem to give us some reason for optimism... I figure...

25% - New Contract Sign Sealed and Delivered :D
50% - No new contract, Samuel signs franchise tender :)
25% - None of the above :(

That seems about as close as we can come, based on the proverbial misinformation of both sides... I continue to hold out for the first choice.

A.S. Sighns tender offer at best.

FWIW per PFT:

SAMUEL, PATS NOT CLOSE

So much for the optimism...it's always good to see optimism, BUT this quietly squelches that... I really do NOT believe he will sign long term..on the other hand, he should sign the tender..

So much for the optimism...it's always good to see optimism, BUT this quietly squelches that... I really do NOT believe he will sign long term..on the other hand, he should sign the tender..

Not so fast.

First, PFT cites a "league source". I'd put "league sources" near the bottom of the list for reliability when it comes to information on the Patriots. As we all know, they keep their cards very close and there is no reason why a "league source" would know what was going on.

Of course, in negotiations there are two parties and it may suit the player and his agent to let information spread more freely. This is what appears to have happened with the article in the South Coast Ledger. We may question why the agent was putting that information out there and how accurate it was, but I think that it's unlikely to have been a flat-out untruth. So, between the two, I would believe the Ledger story.

On the other hand, the fact that the agent (or, to be more accurate, a senior member of the agent's firm) makes optimistic public noises doesn't mean that a deal is about to be done, unfortunately.

Not so fast.

First, PFT cites a "league source". I'd put "league sources" near the bottom of the list for reliability when it comes to information on the Patriots. As we all know, they keep their cards very close and there is no reason why a "league source" would know what was going on.

Of course, in negotiations there are two parties and it may suit the player and his agent to let information spread more freely. This is what appears to have happened with the article in the South Coast Ledger. We may question why the agent was putting that information out there and how accurate it was, but I think that it's unlikely to have been a flat-out untruth. So, between the two, I would believe the Ledger story.

On the other hand, the fact that the agent (or, to be more accurate, a senior member of the agent's firm) makes optimistic public noises doesn't mean that a deal is about to be done, unfortunately.
reiss says the same thing citing a source directly involved

The one thing that went a long way to dismissing Eric McHugh's optimistic report from Saturday was Shavers' comment to Karen Guregian that she "got it from the horse." I took that as indication that Eric was speaking to an lower-ranking associate who clearly was not in a position to offer a definitive statement.

Not so fast.

I would like to believe that..but it just seems like they are far apart and that is the way it will be. It's hard to get to the truth through the BS...we really do NOT know what is happening..all guesses. The fact that it's been so quiet to me is the optimism in it all...we shall see if anything happens today..or if it turns into a stand off. Would I like to see a reasonable offer and signing?? Of course I would..but I just have a feeling it's NOT happening and hope I am completely and totally wrong. If we go back to the 2 cases in the past...Srymour and Branch...I think all can say in retrospect that given the sort of style and attitude and vibe that it was obvious to predict Seymour's negotiations would be positive with a deal done and Branch's negative and a trade. It seemed like things with Samuel leaned more to the latter for a long time, but I think it has changed and it has moved closer to the former. Hard to read really...I think at least at this point it's closer to a deal or at least a tender signing.

I understand the pessimism and all, but it's kida of telling that 3 people in the know AS himself, Shavers and Toby all made very positive statements. You might expect the agent to try to spice things up as the deadline looms, but this seems to be a full-court press.

From a guy, who was pulling a Lance Briggs not to long ago, it seems a little much just to be angling. I'm hopeful, but not confident. I'd be happy for him the sign the tender and get to camp truthfully.

Link on the Reiss source please?

I understand the pessimism and all, but it's kida of telling that 3 people in the know AS himself, Shavers and Toby all made very positive statements. You might expect the agent to try to spice things up as the deadline looms, but this seems to be a full-court press.

From a guy, who was pulling a Lance Briggs not to long ago, it seems a little much just to be angling. I'm hopeful, but not confident. I'd be happy for him the sign the tender and get to camp truthfully.

todays globe

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/07/16/patriots_holding_the_line/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back