Welcome to PatsFans.com

Will Arrington be sent out to cover Smith or Boldin?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Boldin is the Better of the two main WRs in the Raven's arsenal with Smith being a bit speedier and younger.

Which WR would you put Arrington on to man....Boldin or Smith?

Arrington is the best corner on the Pats....my guess is you put your best corner Arrington with Boldin and either Moore or McCourty on Smith.

Smith is still a rookie and will make mistakes,I think McCourty if he isn't sent back to safety,should be able to cover Smith adequately......then again it might be rookie on rookie with Moore covering Smith.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. MP-Logick

MP-Logick Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Whoever is on his side of the field, right?
  3. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I believe whatever side Boldin is on,Arrington will be on him.
  4. strngplyr

strngplyr On the Roster

Ratings:
    +264 / 3 / -0

Patriots don't match corners. McCourty/Moore are LCB, Arrington is RCB, Edelman has been the Nickle.

Edit: At least they usually don't, if that has changed recently I just haven't picked up on it.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  5. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 14 / -5

#87 Jersey

Smith is a pure burner in his early career. No fancy routes, double moves, etc. I want our fastest CB on him, that'd be Arrington right?

I still want Mccourty at FS, that leaves Moore on Boldin. If he struggles switch in game, but he's been great.

EDIT: Oh yeah, we play LCB/RCB stuff oops. Does Boldin usually line up on the right or left then?
  6. patriotscpfc

patriotscpfc Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Last year, Boldin played a lot on the left side of their offense and matched up with Arrington for much of the game (in what I think was Kyle's 1st start?)

Arrington played very well and knocked Boldin heavily off the line on multiple occasions.

Boldin vs Arrington is the a good match-up, but if DMc is back at CB (with his recent improvement on short-intermediate range routes over the last 6 weeks at CB), it could be a good matchup.

However, a Moore and McCourty double on Smith and Arrington hitting Boldin off the line on the other side would be good for us due to Flacco's accuracy not being elite.

Most of all, we need Mark Anderson, Ninko and the D-Line to step up and play hard, strong and fast.
  7. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Belichick will put the best player in the best position to matchup with the opposing WR in games like this....

We all know Belichick is as flexible as it comes and moving players around to other areas or positions is never something you can say won't change because of a 'title' position that player has normally.
  8. vuudu

vuudu Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 4 / -0

I want the kid on Boldin actually. Moore covers like a blanket.
    Arrington on Smith with Devin on top.
  9. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +699 / 21 / -26

That would be something we have never done since BB has been here.
    We will matchup in man, but I don't see much man being played.
  10. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Agree. By keeping DBs and OLBs on a side and not switching, it is easier to disguise man vs. zone coverage. If you send a WR or TE in motion across the formation and someone chases, then you are keying that you are in man coverage. I think Belichick is equally comfortable (or uncomfortable depending on how you look at it) with anyone in coverage against anyone. If someone does have a lousy matchup, I would imagine a LB or S would roll over to help.

While I agree that the Pats will play extensive zone, the threat of staying in man coverage can make the QB have to think before throwing or risk a route being jumped for a pick.
  11. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,606 / 69 / -74

Disable Jersey

While the Patriots do sometimes have their corners on specific receivers, it's a relative rarity, and I think it's more likely that we'd see the CBs stay left/right and play a single cover on Boldin, with Smith getting a safety watching him over the top, regardless of which side the receivers line up on.
  12. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

You are right, it hasn't changed that I remember. Arrington will stay of the defensive right the entire game.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.