Welcome to PatsFans.com

Will Army suspect - Robert Bales get the death penalty?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Mar 16, 2012.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

I heard that Robert Bales "accused of gunning down 16 women and children", may get the death penalty.

He did 4 tours and suffered severe head injuries, and lost part of his foot.
    The day before the masacre, a fellow soldier lost his legs.

Then again, He did kill 16 innocent women and children.

Should he get the death penalty or life in jail ?
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Maybe Pakistan will let him live in a two story 'mansion' for 8 years?

On the real....no matter the outcome, nobody will be pleased.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

We probably need to know more, don't we?

I'd be really interested to know about the head injury he suffered. There's been so many new studies linking head injuries and violent behaviour and suicidal behaviour that it bears really looking at.

If nothing else perhaps now people (especially the military) will start taking it seriously.

I also read this was his 4th tour in a war zone and he had asked (begged?) not to go again. Maybe the military needs to start taking requests like these seriously? Many times people are more aware of their own limitations than others are.

My biggest fear is that there's some sort of cover-up going on. The villagers are still saying there was more than one person involved. I really don't want it to come out later that they're right.

We need to own up to our mistakes - all of them.
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I don't think so ... there will be heavy pressure to have him get the death penalty but it appears at this time he may have an insanity defense. either way ... his family loses.
  5. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

No.

The IDIOT who ordered a soldier who already has done 4 tours, suffered severe head injuries and lost part of his foot to deploy to Afghanistan should get the death penalty.
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Yeah if his background and injuries are as reported you have to wonder who decided to put him in this position. A second CourtMarshal should be in order.
  7. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

what we need to do is quit abusing our soldiers. This kids was messed up from other tours of duty, lost part of his damn foot, and saw some nasty ****...so what the hell was he doing deployed again?

also, no remorse or outrage when an Afghan soldier bites the hand that feeds him and shoos an American soldier?

We need to get the hell out of that hell hole. Let them continue to **** and piss up river and collect drinking water down river. They are dirty scumbags who only know one thing, corruption. Time to come home and plan the next deployment to Iran
  8. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 2 / -1

Really hope not, as horrible as his actions were. Unfortunately, there's simply no good outcome here.

As others have said, I really hope anybody else who may have been involved is caught and punished, and that they take a long hard look at who made the decision to re-deploy this guy and what kind of consequences are appropriate there.

(And then Obama and whoever wins the Republican nominee should have their feet held to the fire to describe specifically what their policies will be on foreign intervention. There are a range of valid positions, but we need a candidate who will tell us specifically what he will do and will then be held to it if the nation selects him in November.)
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

In the interest of fairness (and also waiting for all the information, rather than some of the information) he's hardly a "kid." He's 38 years old. I don't know about anyone else, but by 38 I was pretty much all grown up and my "youth" would hardly have been an excuse for anything I did wrong at that age.

Also - the "lost part of his foot," may not be nearly as bad as what people are thinking. My son's father suffered a leg injury and lost 3 toes in Viet Nam. He spent a few weeks in a hospital in Germany, a few more weeks recovering on a base there and then went right back to Nam. It did not affect his ability to walk, run or do anything else. He ended up with a small disability for something else later on, but not for the missing toes.

This guy has also been in trouble with the law before. In the last 10 years he had to take anger management classes for an assault charge (2003) and paid fines for leaving the scene of an accident (2008) and the person involved in the assault charge in 2003 had an order of protection from him.

In other words, he's had anger issues which began before his tours of duty.

None of this makes him more or less guilty, but it does present a pattern and a history which might change the way he gets judged or the punishment he receives.

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales named as suspect in Afghan massacre - World - MiamiHerald.com
  10. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 2 / -1

It doesn't affect whether he did it, but I think it does play a role in how to view the situation. Was it simply the brain injury, the trauma of the day before (and other), and / or the drinking? Or was there some predisposition there as well?

If you've got an anger issue and you have access to firearms and then you get drunk and do something stupid, I have less sympathy than the guy who doesn't have the anger issue -- because one should know better than to put himself in the situation in the first place.

(This comes from my own view on drunk driving -- big difference for me b/t the guy who gets drunk once and drives and the guy who does it repeatedly.)
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

There is no good answer, there is no right answer.. all this points to is the folly of war, and shyt like this happens when you continue to deploy folks over and over even though they have apparent psychological and physical scars.

Do not see the death penalty, nor do I see life without parole.. there seems to be an undefined diminished capacity on his part. How much we will see..
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

Good for you, I never knew you had in you..

Harry Likes This (very much)

I think the Commander In Chief should do a little time in Leavenworth over this.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  13. Stilla

Stilla Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The suspect was not named until he was in the U.S.

The event happened on the 11th.

The Afghan government wanted the U.S. to surrender over the shooter the Afghan government.

The U.S. flew the shooter to kuwait on the 13th, and he was back in the U.S on the 16, at which time the shooter was named.

It becomes public knowledge that the suspect may have mental problems.

This makes it compelling for a presiding judge of the tribunal to hold the case behind closed doors so that protected classified information is not made public, and that sensitive medical information about the patient would be protected.

Any information officially being made public, is out there to portray the suspect as victim of war. This is something the people of Afghanistan understand. These kinds of comments will be made to cool off the anger people have.

Any chance for the Afghan government to put the suspect on trial is lost. There is no way this guy is going to be extradited back to Afghanistan.

This is a hot issue and the U.S. will do everything it can to cool down tension.

We cannot handle the truth.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

It's all Bush's fault.

God Willing
  15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm simply hoping for a transparent trial and a fair result we can all be proud of.

Just the fact that he's put so much service in entitles him to some consideration in return. Not to mention the fact that he may be mentally disabled. OTOH what he did was horribly wrong. I wish the officers who will sit in judgement of him well and would will them some insight if I could. That's a hard task they've got there.
  16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

Perhaps I am naive, but one might think that a peer or superior noticed that he was experiencing difficulty and there could have been some type of intervention...
  17. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

How liberal of you to factor in his injuries. Perhaps we should do that with all violent people and look at the injuries they have sustained. After all, many violent criminals have horror stories of abuse that often rival the horrors of war. Of course we need to factor in his physical and mental injuries.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

After the time he served in combat he never should of been sent to that Hell Hole Afghanistan, He Didn't Want To Go They Sent Him Anyway, for god sake where are all of those stinking f-cking rotten Anti Bush War Protesters, why aren't they marching in front of the White House.

Nothing Has Changed Since Bush everything is worse.
    Where is the outrage from the Bush Haters?
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  19. Stilla

Stilla Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow, I kind of agree with Patters.

I am compelled to hit the like button.

I am shocked, never thougt I had it in me.:eek:
  20. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

His mistake was not waiting until after his service and joining some private "security company." Then he would have gotten away with it, as they don't have to adhere to the GC.

And if we've learned anything in this country, it's that going private means never having to follow the law.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012