Welcome to PatsFans.com

Wilkerson: 108 detainees have died

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jun 19, 2008.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

This is from ThinkProgress, so despite video of the statement as fact, it's probably fabricated or taken out of context... :rolleyes: So, as always, let's focus on the ThinkProgress "agenda," and not the story... Still, I wonder how many of them weren't terrorists at all, and just some poppy farmer who pissed off the local warlord... Of course, with no trial, we'll never know.

Ex-State Dept. official: At least 25 detainees murdered.»
    video

At today’s House Judiciary Subcommittee on Civil Rights hearing on torture, Lawrence Wilkerson, former chief of staff to Colin Powell, told Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) that over 100 detainees have died in U.S. custody, with up to 27 of these declared homicides:

NADLER: Your testimony said 100 detainees have died in detention; do you believe the 25 of those were in effect murdered?

WILKERSON: Mr. Chairman, I think the number’s actually higher than that now. Last time I checked it was 108.

As one responder put it perfectly:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

25 Detainees Murdered:
    "Yo Dude"
    Gang Bangers (mother f-ckers) kill more than that in one day, right here in the USA.

:bricks:

3. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +276 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

PLEASEEEEEE

people caught on the battlefield, tend to have life threatening wounds, you would think that after accusing the now aquitted Marines of murder in haditha, Murtha and the rest of you, might want to think twice before doing it again.

4. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I LOVE the disclaimer....... Thanks.

That is a troubling report. I'm not incredibly concerned about the non-homicides, cause people die in detention all the time, could be wounds, ect..., unless you know specifics, you can't really specifically say the death is related to the detention or not.

As for the murders, very unfortunate and I'm glad to hear that almost half of the declared homicides have been or are being adjudicated and the persons responsible are being held to account. I know stuff like this happens, and it sucks, but I'm also certain it's not the norm either.

As an aside, I wonder if there are any statistics for the other side here. How does AQ treat the persons in their charge? How many die during captivity? Data like that. OH WAIT, they did keep a record..........

[​IMG]

point being.......... war sucks. I'm willing to bet that rate of murder/death from US POW captivity from this war is significantly better then in wars past. Historically, NO ONE has treated prisoners very well.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  5. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't sweat it much longer, I hear the Obamessiah will personally be sending his "National Security Team" down there to take charge and get it all straightened out. Oh look, here they come now.

[​IMG]