PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork's hit on Losman clean or dirty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't dive at Losman, but was blocked into him. Now, you could look at his elbow two ways. Either big Vince was putting it out to help brace his fall or he put it out to get a piece of Losman. I thought it seemed he might have been trying to brace. Also, Vince doesn't seem the kind of guy to play dirty like that.

it was clearly intentional. When i'm falling I put out my arm or my hand towards the ground. I don't throw out my forearms (as someone else said) so i can land on my armpit.

intentional? yes.

was he trying to knock him out of the game? no

would pats fans be going apesh*t if denney did that to brady? you betcha.

If you have the kind of weight Wilfork has you shouldn't be landing on your hand.

Anyone who says he was bracing himself is a real homer. I love Vince and don't view him as a particularly dirty player but there are absolutely no doubts about it, he did his best to get a piece of Losman.

Anyone who says he was bracing himself is a real homer. I love Vince and don't view him as a particularly dirty player but there are absolutely no doubts about it, he did his best to get a piece of Losman.

I have to agree, he was looking as he reached out with his elbow. Honestly, it looked to me to be deliberate, enough for a fine. I'm sure there's a fine coming for that hit !!

I have to agree, he was looking as he reached out with his elbow. Honestly, it looked to me to be deliberate, enough for a fine. I'm sure there's a fine coming for that hit !!

actually this is incorrect. I just watched this play around 40 times from the two diff angles available. I slow-mo'ed the slow-mo and advanced things frame by frame forwards and back and here's what I saw:

As the play starts and Loseman drops back Wilfork beats his man (#67?) and is surging through the line.
As Loseman sets and is releasing the ball 67 slides down Wilforks body and gets him around the lower legs/ankles
Wilfork had the forward momentum going but as he's tripped up he starts to go down and his body twists to the side, probably from the way he was running when his ankles where wrapped up.
By the time his elbow goes out he can no longer see Loseman, his head is fully rotated toward the sideline in the direction that the rest of his body fell.
The way his elbow went out was very indicitive of how I would brace myself if I where to fall unexpectedly that way - if you're not falling flat then you can't use you're hands to brace.

anyway, that's what I saw in my analysis of things...not that I expect it to change anyones mind on anything

No one can truthfully tell me that was a clean hit. Come on. That's pathetic.

It looked clean to me.
And while Losman got hit in a bad spot, it did'nt appear he was hit very hard fwiw.

The video of the play is available on nfl.com. Wilfork was clearly tackled (he didn't dive at Losman). He wasn't looking as Losman and went down fast so I don't think anyone could claim he intentionally went for Losman's knee or to injure. The only question is whether he was bracing/trying to catch himself*, or trying to put a hit on Losman.

*And yes, if you're as big as Wilfork is, you don't try to stop catch yourself at that speed with your hand unless you want a broken wrist.

wilfork was tackled..as an off lineman...i dont think you expect that from behind...if he put his hand out he would have injured his shoulder or elbow prob. he had no time to think...it is not happening in slow motion. he had no time to plan how he would fall...just reflexes. anyone who says it was premed. has neveer been tackled like that in real life. you have no idea what is happening

actually this is incorrect. I just watched this play around 40 times from the two diff angles available. I slow-mo'ed the slow-mo and advanced things frame by frame forwards and back and here's what I saw:

As the play starts and Loseman drops back Wilfork beats his man (#67?) and is surging through the line.
As Loseman sets and is releasing the ball 67 slides down Wilforks body and gets him around the lower legs/ankles
Wilfork had the forward momentum going but as he's tripped up he starts to go down and his body twists to the side, probably from the way he was running when his ankles where wrapped up.
By the time his elbow goes out he can no longer see Loseman, his head is fully rotated toward the sideline in the direction that the rest of his body fell.
The way his elbow went out was very indicitive of how I would brace myself if I where to fall unexpectedly that way - if you're not falling flat then you can't use you're hands to brace.

anyway, that's what I saw in my analysis of things...not that I expect it to change anyones mind on anything

While I didn't watch it 40 times, that is EXACTLY what I saw. He was clearly not looking at Losman as he was falling on his side, therefore he wasn't aiming for the QBs knees. I think he was clearly moving his arm in a motion to catch himself on his side with his elbow and forearm, it never got perpendicular to the ground because of the impact of his elbow on Losman's leg.

Penalty and fine? Yup. Dirty? Not in my mind.

Sympathies to the Bill's fans, injuries suck, and you guys have taken a lot of hits.

Wilfork was clearly being tackled on the play, but I think he used that situation to his advantage in order to inflict damage on Losman. Just because his head was pointed elsewhere doesn't mean it wasn't intentional. When I watched the play yesterday I thought Rich Gannon called the play wrong by suggesting it was purposeful but now I would have to agree with him.

The hit was DEFINITELY intentional. The people saying it wasn’t need to wipe that homerisim out of your eyes. It's blinding you! :bricks:

I dont think he meant to hurt him seriously... But he definitely meant to get a shot in. No doubt.

actually this is incorrect. By the time his elbow goes out he can no longer see Loseman, his head is fully rotated toward the sideline in the direction that the rest of his body fell.

You don't need to look at someone to hit them. And when I fall down I don't usually throw a flying elbow. I am not trying to persecute Wilfork but the way everybody claims his hit on Losman was unintentional is dumbfounding to me. Perhaps he did not try to hurt him but there is no way you can say he didn't try to take a shot at Losman. Afterall, that is his job. If you really think he didn't mean to hit Losman you probably haven't played sports before. I have been "blocked" or "pushed" into someone plenty of times and put a little extra on it because thats what you are supposed to do. I am fine with the hit but he took an intentional shot. Not even a question about it.

Reviewing this video twice, it looks to me to be an intentional hit. Granted I don't have it on TiVo, but I don't need it too see what I think was an intentional hit. You disagree, that's cool ! ;-) Actually I hope I'm wrong !

Yep. The smoking gun is the the way he lifted his elbow just before impact so as to hit the knee.

agree witht he other posters - pretty obviously a cheap shot. too bad, too

I thought Wilfork took a cheap shot.

You should have left your argument with your last rather interesting post. After watching that clip, you have proved my point. Intentional

why would I want to do that? I'm not trying to prove a point either for or against, I'm just providing factual information.

I disagree with the arguement that he lifted his elbow specifically to hit loseman, because when I view it (I should have also included a full speed cut but I'm not messing with it anymore) full speed his arm comes up as part of one fluid motion as he's falling and continues through the hit until he hits the ground. to me that says that it was all part of a natural motion of bracing for impact....to others it looks like he took a cheap shot. no one says we have to all agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back