PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork's eye poke

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're going to be an elite guy in the trenches, you have to be nasty. It's the nature of the game.

Mankins punched a guy in the balls once, we still love him. Vince vigorously pointed at a guy last night, I still love him.

The thread starter really needs to change the title of this thread. There was no poke, it was pointing, and no intent to poke or injure, merely to point.

If you're going to be an elite guy in the trenches, you have to be nasty. It's the nature of the game.

Mankins punched a guy in the balls once, we still love him. Vince vigorously pointed at a guy last night, I still love him.

The thread starter really needs to change the title of this thread. There was no poke, it was pointing, and no intent to poke or injure, merely to point.

I do think though that there are reasonable bounds to pointing, and that boundary is the player's face mask.

I do think though that there are reasonable bounds to pointing, and that boundary is the player's face mask.

Totally agree. His finger should have been nowhere near there regardless of his intentions.

I really don't see it as an act worthy of a suspension though.

Believe me, I don't want to see Wilfork suspended. We need the big guy. I'm just speculating about what the penalty will be, based on the objective evidence we've all seen on TV. Hopefully Goodell doesn't try to look like a "tough guy", and judges this incident fairly.

I too hope that we have Wilfork playing in the first playing game, but he doesn't deserve to play.

We are all crossing our fingers and hoping that the Commissioner doesn't do what he would OBVIOUSLY do at any other time in the season. We are begging for mercy from the Commissioner because we need the player. If the player were Spann or another player at the bottom of the roster, we would likely not care as much. Should the NFL, really be run this way? Should they give Wilfork a fine, and wish the patriots good luck in the playoffs? Should the Commissioner condone such behavior from a pro-bowler, or should he set an example.

Instead of moderator we should designate you the PatsFans chief of the combat morality police. Or No. 1 Drama Queen. If we had done so pre season we could have saved poor sweet Bob a couple of million in salary for the HC this season, and why not - he embarassed us but he's got them so well trained we don't really need him for half the games anyway what with Dante on staff...not to mention the cost of an aging SS.

I know you think the rest of us are all hypocritical homers, but it's football mg, not shuffleboard. People who are that judgemental or easily embarassed by the unseemly should consider following some non contact sport. Or try out for the bottom of the pile for one play to see what kind of indignities linemen impart on each other out of camera range...

Gambling on and killing dogs, paralyzing innocent bystanders, stomping in cleats on a defenseless guys unhelmeted head, deliberately diving for a guys knees in hopes of ending his season if not career, repeatedly horse collaring opponents despite having a rule against it named for you, poking a finger at some chippy ahole who likely did something nasty to provoke you... Yeah, I'd lump them all in together...right up there with videotaping defensive signals everyone can see from a prohibited uncovered location in plain sight...:rolleyes:

The intent, to me, also was less than it appeared. I don't think he was trying to poke him in the eye but to point his finger like a parent saying "cut it out".

I agree 100%. When I saw the replay of it, that's what I thought. I thought he was just trying to point in his face, and not poke him in the eye. I still think you shouldn't put a finger through someones face mask. He will probably be getting fined.

Totally agree. His finger should have been nowhere near there regardless of his intentions.

I really don't see it as an act worthy of a suspension though.

Well lets see.......,
I am SURE that there was nothing malicious that the Giants did to Vince to cause him to anger, was there????? VW was absolutely furious. Anybody TiVo this to see what this was about? It could have been Seau on the ground who was kicked (by Jacobs?), Sorry to all of you idiots who have stated eye gouge. What were you watching?
He was trying to make a point and "point" between the eyes. Maybe I did not see this infamous "eye gouge". Must have been another play, or maybe another game? This was a non issue. He never got his eye. You gonna fine someone for getting close to an "almost maybe eye poke". Well It seemed to me Rodney got taken out on purpose last year by the Titans and even under the laughs of Fischer of the said "competition committee". Still never saw a fine for an obvious attempt to injure...that is what that is all about! Lets fine them for actually reaching their objective, not a "definite maybe". Goodell will have a tough time determining what VW was doing.
What about an elbow to the face that Moss got. An obvious attempt to injure. Hey Gumbel said nothing about that.
DW Toys

Fine him all you want. I would be extremely pissed if he got suspended. No Wilfork against potentially the Jags would SUCK.

I think this falls into the category of all fun and games, if you look up the actual rule:

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

There is no infraction. The writer will be put in time-out.

PFnV

(ps, seriously, sure fine him but don't suspend from a playoff game, since he wasn't even flagged for Unsportsmanlike Conduct during the game. Get real.)

PFnV

Stupid move by Vince. He should be on his best behavior considering the Losman hit. I say a fine and the next incident he gets suspended.

I think this falls into the category of all fun and games, if you look up the actual rule:

There is no infraction. The writer will be put in time-out.

PFnV

(ps, seriously, sure fine him but don't suspend from a playoff game, since he wasn't even flagged for Unsportsmanlike Conduct during the game. Get real.)

PFnV

haha this is genius!

I thought Vince's move was immature, stupid and lame. You've gotta keep your head better than that. I expect more from him. Embarrassing. That said, I don't think there was intent to injure.

Couldn't have said it any better m'self.

I'm gonna look like a complete homer here, but I was screaming at the tv for the NFLN producers to show the damn skirmish. I honestly don't think Wilfork is the type to randomly try to poke someone's eye out (I know, that wasn't his intent, but the way Collinsworth and Gumble were talking about it you would think that's what he was doing).

Stupid move whether he was provoked in some way or not, and he deserves a fine (not a suspension though, imo). That said, show the play, the entire play...did Jacobs (or someone else) do something to get Wilfork's blood boiling, or did Vince just do something really stupid? I want answers, damnit!

Didn't a similar eye poke happen with another player the last few years?
Or am I dreaming.

If it didn't it has some similarity to recent spitting incidents. Now spitting is more degrading, of course, I'm just trying to gage what
punishments have been doled out before.
What happened in those cases? Anyone remember?

Last edited:
Seeing how Jacobs was talking **** all night, I'm not surprised Vince got a little pushy. I hope like hell he gets a fine, but I bet you anything he gets suspended. Gooddell beat the Pats down before, he'll take the chance to now.

I'm gonna look like a complete homer here, but I was screaming at the tv for the NFLN producers to show the damn skirmish. I honestly don't think Wilfork is the type to randomly try to poke someone's eye out (I know, that wasn't his intent, but the way Collinsworth and Gumble were talking about it you would think that's what he was doing).

Stupid move whether he was provoked in some way or not, and he deserves a fine (not a suspension though, imo). That said, show the play, the entire play...did Jacobs (or someone else) do something to get Wilfork's blood boiling, or did Vince just do something really stupid? I want answers, damnit!
I agree show theg WHOLE thing...othewrwise it is out of context...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes