Wilfork shows up for minicamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
ProFootballTalk.com - Wilfork Attends Mandatory Minicamp

Good news.

Embroiled in an ongoing contract dispute, New England Patriots nose guard Vince Wilfork is attending the team’s mandatory minicamp today, according to BostonScore.TV.

Wilfork, who has been skipping the Patriots’ voluntary workouts, could have given the Patriots cause to go after Wilfork’s signing bonus.

According to the Boston Globe, Wilfork could have potentially lost $500,000 if he didn’t show up.

Per the report, Wilfork’s six-year rookie contract includes language that could allow the Patriots to go after money in his contract if he skipped a mandatory minicamp.

Wilfork is entering the final year of his contract.

Last edited:
Re: Wilfork shows up for Minicamp.

Smart move Vince Im confident the pats will work somthing out during TC or during the season.

even if they dont, Wilfork is smart, and hell come to whatever is mandatory...

the contract dispute comes outside the lines, now its time to prepare for the season....the better the team does, the better wilfork will do if he does leave

and if he stays, than hes showing faith something can get done.....

he played this perfectly

Perhaps the least surprising news of the year outside of politics.

He seems to be handling this with maturity.

He is clear that he loves the Patriots, would like to stay, but is very unhappy with his contract. Given that this is his sixth year on a rookie contract, it's not that crazy - most careers in the NFL last about half this long. All will agree that he is underpaid. But, since he has a contract, he is fulfilling the obligations of it.

Given the uncertainty of the CBA, an extension will be complicated. Further, the Pats will probably have two tags - one franchise and one transition - that they can use if the CBA is not renewed before the end of the season. Also, of course, Mankins and Gostkowksi don't reach free agency under that scenario. So, the Patriots have two tags for Seymour and Wilfork in the uncapped future.

I'm glad he is there today, and hope things work out with the contract.

He had 500,000 reasons.

Good for him. It seems that the way the CBA is written, if he wants to engage in a job action, it should be when the games are for real.

I think that would be ethical if and only if he gave the team serious warning of his plans to do so.

And of course I greatly hope it doesn't come to that.

He had 500,000 reasons.

Agreed! In every public statement, he made it clear that his biggest concern is the long term financial security of his family, it would have made zero sense and been hypocritical to forfeit $500,000.

With that said he is going about this the right way and I'm glad he is. Hopefully this shows some good faith and a deal gets done before camp.

Last edited:

Great news, hopefully they can get everything worked out.

that's good: nice

It's good that Wilfork showed up.

But where were these guys?:confused:

DL Jarvis Green
LB Jerod Mayo
RB Sammy Morris
S Brandon Meriweather

Was this actually a holdout? I'm thrilled that he's back and all, but what's the point of "holding out" for the voluntary camps if you're going to show up to the mandatory ones?

He's being incredibly mature about this, which is a rarity in today's NFL/sports in general. I hope he sticks with the team, but even if he doesn't I'll be cheering for him where ever he lands (unless it's on the Jets).

Love Wilfork.

He's being incredibly mature about this, which is a rarity in today's NFL/sports in general. I hope he sticks with the team, but even if he doesn't I'll be cheering for him where ever he lands (unless it's on the Jets).

Ditto on that. He's a grown up, not letting his ego get in the way. I really hope the F.O. gets this done. This is the kind of guy you lock up long-term. Their behavior - and Vince's - can only do good for the locker room.

Good to see him here, although I'm not suprised that he showed up. I sincerely hope we get something done for him this year that allows us to keep Seymour and Mankins as well (hard, but not impossible).

Last edited:

how is no one commenting on how he is clearly not taking this the Deion Branch route. Could it be that he geniunely wants to stay and if they make a good offer he will take it? ;)

Told ya :p

Smart move by Wilfork.

One thing is for certain. The Patriots are never going to let themselves be perceived as responding to pressure applied by a player in contract negotiations.

So if Wilfork has any hopes of fostering some contract negotiation movement by the team he's going to do so with sugar, rather than vinegar.

Frankly, had he chose to sit out until pre-season and been willing to accept the fines, I'm not sure I'd have faulted the guy for doing what I might well do if I were him too. But this show of good faith shows that he sincerely does want to remain with the Pats.

At the very least Wilfork limits the amount of time Brace spends with the first unit. That alone could begin to undermine his bargaining position.

Last edited:
Excellent news. That BFF of mine is a real mensch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back