PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork refutes report of admission of being dirty player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying if the same play happened to Brady you wouldent have the same stance as the bills fans? Its pretty clear that Wilfork tossed a bow at the end of his "fall". If that was Jenkins and that was Brady this board would go CRAZY.

Thats real, and you HATE it.

You've been here since April (sadly) and you don't know me or or this board. There are clowns and whiners and hysterics in every group. *******s too who live to paint everyone who isn't impressed with them with a broad homer brush I believe because they need to feel somehow superior to the majority here when in fact nothing could be farther from the truth...

2043-fail-camera.jpg

This is way to late, but this is Wilfork's "admission" (from the 10/31 Reiss' Pieces):
Wilfork also detailed more about his meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and said he has more clarity as to why he was fined for last year’s hit against Buffalo quarterback J.P. Losman. “That’s something that really bothered me, because I think that’s the one that led me to being looked at last year,” Wilfork said. "That play right there really labeled me."

On a side note, I was trying to find Mortensen's article where he claims Wilfork admitted that his hit on Losman was a cheap shot, but couldn't. Then I figured out why; The article has been edited and now Wilfork only "accepts blame" for injuring Losman. Funny, I never heard him try to escape responsibility for that.

The original text appears in post 1 here. That post also contains a link to revised article.

I’ve officially heard it all from Vince Wilfork. Wilfork issued a statement refuting that report.

It read in part as follows.

“After a very productive and fulfilling meeting with the NFL commissioner, it was inaccurately reported by ESPN that I stated that the hit on Buffalo Bills quarterback J.P. Losman last season was a cheap shot. I did not say that. I am not that type of player and would never intentionally try [to injure] a fellow NFL colleague.”

My response is actions speak louder than words and apparently the NFL agrees in light of the most recent fine he received.

Everyone is aware of they eye gouge attempt on Brandon Jacobs (fine), the late hit behind the play on Jason Witten (got a fine), the Losman hit (fine), the Cutler “love tap” with his elbow (fine), the dangerous facemask yank on Michael Turner (fine). But he’s been doing this since his rookie year.

No one remembers him kicking Bills guard Chris Villarrial in the back when he was down on the ground following a Bills field goal attempt in 2003. No one remembers him cold ****ing Jonas Jennings with a helmet to helmet hit from behind, while Jennings was engaged with another defensive lineman on a pass play that left the offensive tackle knocked out cold with a concussion.

A leopard doesn’t change his spots and Wilfork has proven that throughout his NFL career. It’s time to sit him down before he puts someone out of the game for good.

This sort of crap belongs in the visitor's playpen. You have no idea about football, and no idea about Wilfork.

You've been here since April (sadly) and you don't know me or or this board. There are clowns and whiners and hysterics in every group. *******s too who live to paint everyone who isn't impressed with them with a broad homer brush I believe because they need to feel somehow superior to the majority here when in fact nothing could be farther from the truth...

Patslifer is a pathetic creature, so do not worry too much about him. His pretense at actually caring about the team, when it is clear he only cares about practicing his English and demeaning the fan base, is growing rapidly shallow.

For what it's worth (I know, not much), and I am not claiming to "know",but it looks to me like Wilfork intentionally went after Losman. He is blocked toward him, but it looks to me like he intentionally extended his elbow into his knee (obviously I don't "know" for sure, I am just giving what I hope is an objective opinion). If he were simply trying to land safely I don't think his elbow would be extended the way it was. No one except Vince, and those he has told, know what his real intent was. We are all just speculating. Say what you will, deserved or not, Wilfork is getting a reputation for being a dirty player. I spoke to Mike Riley, ex HC of the Chargers, about Rodney Harrison when he was still with the Chargers. He said that Rodney got more calls against him because of his reputation for being a dirty player. Players with that reputation need to adjust or accept it.

For what it's worth (I know, not much), and I am not claiming to "know",but it looks to me like Wilfork intentionally went after Losman. He is blocked toward him, but it looks to me like he intentionally extended his elbow into his knee (obviously I don't "know" for sure, I am just giving what I hope is an objective opinion). If he were simply trying to land safely I don't think his elbow would be extended the way it was. No one except Vince, and those he has told, know what his real intent was. We are all just speculating. Say what you will, deserved or not, Wilfork is getting a reputation for being a dirty player. I spoke to Mike Riley, ex HC of the Chargers, about Rodney Harrison when he was still with the Chargers. He said that Rodney got more calls against him because of his reputation for being a dirty player. Players with that reputation need to adjust or accept it.

1.) Go to your backyard with a friend.

2.) Do a series of 7-yard sprints.

3.) At some time, unknown to you, have that friend trip you up.

4.) Get back to us about how much time you'd have to intentionally strike out at a person while falling.

Last edited:

4.) Get back to us about how much time you'd have to intentionally strike out at a person while falling.
You make a good point. Still believe it was intentional. Look, I understand the doubt but that's just the way it looks to me. I could be wrong, obviously.

That, and as a 300+ pound player I suspect you quickly learn that falling on your hands with arms extended is a good way to break your wrists. What he did is actually consistent with fall techniques taught in martial arts - landing on the meat of your forearms in a front fall.

And obviously the fact both of his elbows, rather than the one on Losman's side, were extended means nothing to those believing the hit was dirty. He was probably just hoping he could perform a cheap shot on somebody on the other side after he hit Losman.

Last edited:
You make a good point. Still believe it was intentional. Look, I understand the doubt but that's just the way it looks to me. I could be wrong, obviously.

I was serious about my post. Go get that friend. Take this out of the realm of a mental exercise and make it real. I've played sports enough to know how quickly this happened, how much time the fall took and about how much time that left for Wilfork to consciously think about his reaction. Go find out for yourself, and you'll be amazed at how short an amount of time a second or less really is when you're caught off guard.

I was serious about my post. Go get that friend. Take this out of the realm of a mental exercise and make it real. I've played sports enough to know how quickly this happened, how much time the fall took and about how much time that left for Wilfork to consciously think about his reaction. Go find out for yourself, and you'll be amazed at how short an amount of time a second or less really is when you're caught off guard.
Not trying to be trollish, I am interested in your response, but do you give Pollard the same benefit of the doubt?

Well he's obviously lying, I mean if ESPN says it it must be true right? I mean just look at the Matt Walsh thing!

Oh wait...

Not trying to be trollish, I am interested in your response, but do you give Pollard the same benefit of the doubt?

Pollard was already on the ground and lunging. The play isn't the same. However, if you search my posts, I don't think you'll find me complaining much about that play. You will find me saying that if Wilfork's was dirty, Pollard's would have to be considered dirty, but I don't think I went much further than that.

Pollard was already on the ground and lunging. The play isn't the same. However, if you search my posts, I don't think you'll find me complaining much about that play. You will find me saying that if Wilfork's was dirty, Pollard's would have to be considered dirty, but I don't think I went much further than that.
I considered searching your posts but thought it would be quicker to ask. Thanks for the response. If I were on a jury I would say there is reasonable doubt for both players. Btw, I won't be doing your suggested test, LOL, I'd probably hurt myself.

I considered searching your posts but thought it would be quicker to ask. Thanks for the response. If I were on a jury I would say there is reasonable doubt for both players. Btw, I won't be doing your suggested test, LOL, I'd probably hurt myself.

Pollard's play was more likely to be dirty than Wilfork's, given the need for him to lunge. However, I don't assume any player would deliberately set out to hurt another player under most circumstances.

Pollard's play was more likely to be dirty than Wilfork's, given the need for him to lunge. However, I don't assume any player would deliberately set out to hurt another player under most circumstances.
The thing that bothers me about Pollard's play is the helmet to the knee. Seems he could have avoided that. Maybe not.

I’ve officially heard it all from Vince Wilfork. Wilfork issued a statement refuting that report.

It read in part as follows.

“After a very productive and fulfilling meeting with the NFL commissioner, it was inaccurately reported by ESPN that I stated that the hit on Buffalo Bills quarterback J.P. Losman last season was a cheap shot. I did not say that. I am not that type of player and would never intentionally try [to injure] a fellow NFL colleague.”

My response is actions speak louder than words and apparently the NFL agrees in light of the most recent fine he received.

Everyone is aware of they eye gouge attempt on Brandon Jacobs (fine), the late hit behind the play on Jason Witten (got a fine), the Losman hit (fine), the Cutler “love tap” with his elbow (fine), the dangerous facemask yank on Michael Turner (fine). But he’s been doing this since his rookie year.

No one remembers him kicking Bills guard Chris Villarrial in the back when he was down on the ground following a Bills field goal attempt in 2003. No one remembers him cold ****ing Jonas Jennings with a helmet to helmet hit from behind, while Jennings was engaged with another defensive lineman on a pass play that left the offensive tackle knocked out cold with a concussion.

A leopard doesn’t change his spots and Wilfork has proven that throughout his NFL career. It’s time to sit him down before he puts someone out of the game for good.

I don't give a **** what he does to your players. Sometimes you just have to take out the trash.

I don't give a **** what he does to your players. Sometimes you just have to take out the trash.

Just asking, you have no issue with Bernard Pollard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes