PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork: Meriweather Illegal Hit Sparked Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mort and Peter King have both said, via twitter, that Meriweather has the "NFL's Bullseye" on him. Here we go again with the Patriots being used as an example.
I saw it on ESPN with Mort and I don't get it. Why the bullseye, Roger, because he's a Patriot ? Look at the hit on Jackson. On Welker. On the Browns yesterday or the TJ Ward video I posted. There's nothing worse about Meriweather's hit than those others.

Roger - F*ck off you Jet lover.

On a weekend in which a college football player was left paralyzed from the neck down, nobody wants to see anyone get hurt.

However, there has to be a way to get rid of the dirty shots but still allow the contact that prevents offenses from just running amuck.

I'm fine with Meriweather being suspended as long as James Harrison also is suspended.

Mort and Peter King have both said, via twitter, that Meriweather has the "NFL's Bullseye" on him. Here we go again with the Patriots being used as an example.

Why would Meriweather have a bullseye on him? James Harrison makes a living off of these hits.

None of them should be suspended. Send out a blanket warning that the next head shots by ANYONE will lead to suspensions. But don't just create a rule on the fly and impose it with no warning at all. Am I the only one who thinks this is insane?

Looking at the replay in slow motion, Mike Ditka agreed both Merriweather and Robinson took clean shots. I also agree.

Merriweather shouldn't change his game. Nice hit.

Last edited:
I didn't like the hit for the helmet to helmet but Meriweather better not get anything worse than what Ryan Clark got for attempting to decapitate Wes Welker. Something about precedents....

Last edited:
Looking at the replay in slow motion, Mike Ditka agreed it was clean shot. I also agree.

Merriweather shouldn't change his game. Nice hit.

That's what I've been saying the whole time - nice hit. I'm glad someone agrees with me.

Rodney Harrison's comments resonate with the league office | ProFootballTalk.com

And fwiw Bill said today on WEEI they don't coach players to make that hit, they coach them to be agressive within the rules and that's all about technique and it's the players responsibility to make plays within the rules. Bill danced around answering the direct questions that were asked about Meriweather, as he always will. When asked about the possibility of suspension, he said he doesn't like it when they change the rules in season, unless a situation comes up that has to be dealt with (like hitting the scoreboard in Dallas), thinks there should always be thorough discussion. But he also (given this isn't a rule change but a penalty change) said that the commissioner is within his rights to levy disciplinary penalties as he sees fit.

Apparently Harrison didn't draw flags on his hits, and one has been ruled legal by the league already. The other is under review. Peter King seems to think for that reason if they want to make an example this week, Meriweather is it. He launched, against a defenseless receiver and made helmet to helmet contact. Kind of the trifecta... Which is probably why when he was coming off the field Bill's lip read comment to him was "are you kidding me?"

Rodney Harrison's comments resonate with the league office | ProFootballTalk.com

And fwiw Bill said today on WEEI they don't coach players to make that hit, they coach them to be agressive within the rules and that's all about technique and it's the players responsibility to make plays within the rules. Bill danced around answering the direct questions that were asked about Meriweather, as he always will. When asked about the possibility of suspension, he said he doesn't like it when they change the rules in season, unless a situation comes up that has to be dealt with (like hitting the scoreboard in Dallas), thinks there should always be thorough discussion. But he also (given this isn't a rule change but a penalty change) said that the commissioner is within his rights to levy disciplinary penalties as he sees fit.

Apparently Harrison didn't draw flags on his hits, and one has been ruled legal by the league already. The other is under review. Peter King seems to think for that reason if they want to make an example this week, Meriweather is it. He launched, against a defenseless receiver and made helmet to helmet contact. Kind of the trifecta... Which is probably why when he was coming off the field Bill's lip read comment to him was "are you kidding me?"
Agreed that's what I said..

Interesting to compare what's being said of some of the other hits.

Cleveland Browns' Ben Watson says Steelers' James Harrison should get max penalty for Massaquoi hit | cleveland.com
Browns tight end Ben Watson called for the NFL to impose the maximum penalty against Steelers' linebacker James Harrison for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

"The one against Mohamed was illegal,'' said Watson. "I can’t judge his character, I can judge his conduct. It was an illegal hit. He led with his head, he hit Mo right in the head, he dove at his head. It was an illegal play.
Whether he meant to hurt him or not, I can’t comment on that. It was illegal and the league should take care of him with the max, whatever it is. If it's a suspension, if it’s a fine, then I hope the league does whatever they can do.''

Harrison knocked both Massaquoi and Josh Cribbs out of Sunday's 28-10 loss to the Steelers with vicious blows to the head. Both suffered concussions and are uncertain for Sunday's game in New Orleans.

"We'll see where we are going into next week,'' said coach Eric Mangini. "It could be not only the loss for the second half of this game, a four-point game in the third quarter, but it could also carry over into the bye week.''

In comparison a Pittsburgh paper also runs a story on comments by the Browns, and in its headlines they uses the term borderline and leave out Watson's comments: Browns see one of Harrison's hits as 'borderline' - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
• One was legal and the other one was borderline. That's how the Cleveland Browns felt about James Harrison's double knockout of Josh Cribbs and Mohammed Massaquoi during the first half of their 28-10 loss Sunday to the Steelers. Both hits occurred to the head of the players, but neither play was penalized. Neither player returned to the game, but are expected to be fine. "It was definitely a clean hit," running back Peyton Hillis said about the hit on Cribbs. "He didn't fare very well from it." The hit on Massaquoi was a little different. "I thought that was a lot worse," Hillis said. "I think it should've gotten a flag on that one."
The paper also correctly pointed out that the Steelers benefitted quite a bit by the two controversial hits:
• When Cribbs went out with a head injury in the first half, it changed Cleveland's offensive game plan. The Browns intended on using Cribbs in the Wildcat formation plenty to take the pressure off McCoy. "You are planning to vary the attack with some different things," Browns coach Eric Mangini said. "We were out of it, and with quite a bit of game left." Cribbs rushed for 132 yards combined in the two meetings against the Steelers last year. He was held to two yards on three carries yesterday.

Glad to see the Steeler's coach is being so objective and able to immediately make a clear cut judgement from the sideline: NFL looking into Harrison's hit on Massaquoi - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said after the game that neither Harrison hit warranted a fine. The Pro Bowl outside linebacker was not penalized on either play.

Not surprisingly a Steeler fan immediately jumped to the defense of his favorite team. I do think it's a bit ironic that he used the word hypocrisy in his title, as I am sure there are many Steeler fans calling for Meriweather to be fined and suspended today while saying James Harrison should not. What Rodney Harrison did or did not do in his NFL career is irrelevant to the discussion. If anything, his reputation as a hard hitter should make his opinion more noteworthy and legitimate.
NFL from the sidelines: Hypocrisy 101
Rodney Harrison talking about players needing to be suspended for helmet to helmet hits on other players screams of hypocrisy.

This is the same Rodney Harrison, after all, who routinely won the vote for being the dirtiest player in the game when he still played. This is the same Rodney Harrison who was fined over $200,000 during his playing career and suspended himself for illegal hits.

And some of the hits he pointed to were made by Steelers linebacker James Harrison Sunday against the Browns.

My point hundreds of posts ago. Glad BB agrees.

Interesting, Welker gets clocked bigtime in the helmet by the Jets and Harrison knocks two guys out with concussions and no flags.

Not that Merry shouldn't have been flagged, he shoulda, but there's hardly a uniform std of calls applied against these hits. Suspending Merriweather would again be setting up the Patriots as the league fall guys for the Comish's power trips.

Last edited:
I cannot wait for the NFL to be rid of Goodell. It'll probably take the players scoring major victories in a labor dispute to do it, but I've had enough of this Jest-loving, self-righteous scumbag.

Of all the hits this weekend, I have the least problem with Robinson's and Merriweather's. Neither appeared to be intentional head-to-head hits. Harrison on the other hand: how has this guy not been suspended before? This is his MO, not a rare occurrence. The lack of penalties apparently gives him the impression he can repeat those kinds of hits, even within the same game. But, of course, it's all about making the Patriots out to be the league's bad guys.

So, according to Jon Gruden, Chuck Cecil was a "tone setter" who "loved playing football". As he is saying that they show Mr. Cecil MAULING a defensless WR that was turning around after making a catch.

However, Jon Gruden called this weekend's hits "scary". Hmmm:confused:

My point hundreds of posts ago. Glad BB agrees.

Interesting, Welker gets clocked bigtime in the helmet by the Jets and Harrison knocks two guys out with concussions and no flags.

Not that Merry shouldn't have been flagged, he shoulda, but there's hardly a uniform std of calls applied against these hits. Suspending Merriweather would again be setting up the Patriots as the league fall guys for the Comish's power trips.

There is a difference between intentional hits and launching and incidental hits. I was fine with Wilfork being flagged for his QB hit a while back, as opposed to the hand taps that are ridiculous, the fine was overkill because it was clearly not intentional (he hit him in the chest and his head slid up and the QB collapsed so their helmets contacted). What Meriweather did may not have been intentional, although it looked so, but he launched which in itself is a penalty and the hit wasn't incidental. Apparently they made hits like that a point of emphasis this off season. You know, like the Polian rule. And our HC always coaches to the rules. Bill has an old saying, if you want to hurt a player, take away his stage. Although some don't even respond correctly to that... The flags don't stop 'em, the fines are a joke for most of them because of where contracts have gone.

I thought it was a perfect hit by Meriweather. That's what happens when the QB lofts it up high over the middle leaving the receiver exposed. Maybe he'll think twice before doing that again? Maybe Heap and others will hear the footsteps and drop it the next time that type of play happens again.

Obviously you don't want the guy to get injured. But hey, this is a physical game. They are taking a big risk when they take the field and these are the things that come with football.

Last edited:
Remember this?

arace-7-29-art0-gic9b0dv-10729-tatum-stingley-sp-large.jpg

Remember this?

Are you comparing Meriweather's hit to the Stingley (not mentioning the other douchebag's name) hit?

No...what I'm doing is showing a former legal hit and contrasting the Meriwether hit that every jagoff in the media is screaming about to the VERY NATURE of pro football played on the highest level. It is a VIOLENT,one of a kind sport.In ten years you'll see more physicality in a high school girls field hockey game the way things are going.

Y.A. Tittle...Hall of Fame QB...beaten and bloody at the end of the NFL championship game...a moment frozen in NFL history...never to be seen or appreciated again.

ya-tittle.jpg

Last edited:
Meriweather is a middle of the road safety at this point. He sometimes plays like a top ten safety and other times performs like he has no business on the field. This has been evidenced by a garden variety of good plays, forced turnovers, benchings and endless attempts at making the big hit.

To pull the race card is ****ing hilarious though.

I am getting a little tired of all these clowns who pull the race card at every perceived opportunity. Racism works both ways, and making constant and ridiculous claims of racism tends to reveal who the real racist is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back