PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork: Meriweather Illegal Hit Sparked Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
When is the last time Light has screwed up though?

Umm, hes given up a couple of sacks this year already. You're kind of proving the point there.

Merriweather has been a negative all season, ofcourse you can go find 20 threads on him right now. However Light has been ate up by alot of people including myself on this board, I still think he's an above average LT who is thankfully in his last season here.

Merriweather is one of the better players in the secondary.

He hasn't started.

He's not leading. He's not putting Chung in position, he's not making an impact.

But let me guess, you think him making jump ball INTs at the end of games means he's having a good year?

He hasn't started? So we're only counting the first play of each game?

Other than Chung, Mayo, and McCourty, nobody has played more snaps than Merriweather.

I loved the hit and frankly hope Meriweather continues his fiery intensity. I don't give a **** how cheap or dirty some posters here perceive it to be. The bottom line is that it got this defense to realize they need to start hitting people and playing physically - Vince said this himself.

The reality is if the Patriots want Offenses to respect their "short" and "soft" secondary, they must keep up laying big hits and being physical. Other teams will gladly lay big hits to our receivers - I say the Patriots respond in-kind.

Last edited:
This race argument is dumb IMO. Stephen Neal has been criticized frequently in the past for his consistent injury status. If there there was more talk of Maroney and glass it had more to do with the passionate pro-Maroney crowd defending the indefensible and the fact that he was drafted high and expected to be our #1 RB compared to Neal who was undrafted and who plays the unglorious role of guard. Has nothing to with race

As for Edlemen, I don't think the expectations were that high being that he is considered a backup (welker-type) WR and was not some high draft pick. So, in reality, he gets LESS respect then the guys we b!tch about because we don't really care enough to comment on him. He has mostly looked bad this year (jumping on the direct snap, being hurt a lot, and generally invisible). However, he doesn't rate high enough on our radar to be worth mentioning much.

In summary, I grow increasingly weary of the trigger-happy overuse of the race card in our society.

I loved the hit and frankly hope Meriweather continues his fiery intensity. I don't give a **** how cheap or dirty some posters here perceive it to be. The bottom line is that it got this defense to realize they need to start hitting people and playing physically - Vince said this himself.

The reality is if the Patriots want Offenses to respect their "short" and "soft" secondary, they must keep up laying big hits and being physical. Other teams will gladly lay big hits to our receivers - I say the Patriots respond in-kind.

:rocker:

I loved Chung's hit on Mason in the endzone. Its rare that he doesn't catch something.

I thought it was a good play by Meriweather. Cheap shots happen, it's a fast, hard hitting game. Honestly, if people are still upset about it they should probably stick to something like baseball.

I thought it was a good play by Meriweather. Cheap shots happen, it's a fast, hard hitting game. Honestly, if people are still upset about it they should probably stick to something like baseball.

You can hit a receiver without leaving your feet and leading with your head. It's safer for both players, and it will decrease the likelihood of a penalty being called.

Wow. This thread sure has taken a dump since I was last here today. This really needs to be moved to the Political Cesspool.

You can hit a receiver without leaving your feet and leading with your head. It's safer for both players, and it will decrease the likelihood of a penalty being called.

Awesome info, I didn't know that.

Last edited:
Seeing one Stingley event was enough for me in this life. Best to avoid deliberate leaving your feet to spear another's head with yours. Plenty of other good ways to lay the wood.

These players have careers, lives and families outside of entertaining us on Sunday.

Last edited:
I honestly think racism has something to do with it. Moss, Maroney, Meriweather. There have been threads ripping Ron Brace, Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, and Fred Taylor. However, I never see a "Julian Edelman is made of GLASS" thread. Hmmmm, wonder why. :rolleyes:

If I could, I'd like to apoligize for this comment. I was in a crappy mood this afternoon, and just was a general PITA and posted something stupid and, in hindsight, incorrect. Sorry everyone.

Classy move bro. Like reading your posts. You contribute a lot to the forum.

:eat2:

:eat3:

Last edited:
If I could, I'd like to apoligize for this comment. I was in a crappy mood this afternoon, and just was a general PITA and posted something stupid and, in hindsight, incorrect. Sorry everyone.

Yeah. None of us have ever done anything like that ourselves. No siree.

Did Eric Smith get suspended after he did the same to Welker in the Jets game? No. It's a fine, not a suspension unless the policy changed since then. That wouldn't really sound like even-handed treatment of infractions without a recent warning from the NFL.

Exactly! The game plan for every team playing the Patriots was to injure Welker.

As far as Merriman it was payback time for the Ravens and they did not like it thus all the whining and complaining but I dearly hope that the rest of the league uses the same approach on the Ravens and beats the stuffing out out them...

The NFL does not want head shots. They've made that clear yet the message is not being received. The hits just keep coming and they're getting more and more vicious. Suspending players will get the message across.
Watch it happen.
I agree and that was Rodney's point last night but it's not something you start doing in the middle of the season to first time violators...

Last edited:
However, I never see a "Julian Edelman is made of GLASS" thread. Hmmmm, wonder why. :rolleyes:

Oh yes you do. I was saying it all last year and especially after the Ravens playoff game. I said he would never make it through the season because he does not know how to avoid a hit.

Mort and Peter King have both said, via twitter, that Meriweather has the "NFL's Bullseye" on him. Here we go again with the Patriots being used as an example.

Mort and Peter King have both said, via twitter, that Meriweather has the "NFL's Bullseye" on him. Here we go again with the Patriots being used as an example.
Ryan Clark and James Harrison should be the examples...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes