PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork: "If you don't want to win, you don't need to be here"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wilfork-"If you don't want to win, you don't need to be here"

I'm perfectly fine if Mount W meant it for Moss (shot across the bow).

Moss needs to focus on 2010 season, but by the statements he(Moss) made in the recent article it sounds like he could easily be tuning out and would not shock me he goes through the motions upcoming season. He's done it in the past with Vikes and Raiders.

Florio was too lazy to read the entire link he posted. Here's the result - the implication (clearly wrong) that Wilfork intended to call out Moss.

In any event, Big Vince's comments are music to my ears. The departures of Bruschi, Vrabel and Harrison resulted in a void in veteran leadership - a key part of the Patriots' success under BB. Looks like Vince is ready to take this on - good for him.

Last edited:
Wow, so happy we paid this guy to stay.

Stepping up on and off the field, excellent.

I'm perfectly fine if Mount W meant it for Moss (shot across the bow).

Moss needs to focus on 2010 season, but by the statements he(Moss) made in the recent article it sounds like he could easily be tuning out and would not shock me he goes through the motions upcoming season. He's done it in the past with Vikes and Raiders.

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Patriots NT Vince Wilfork: “If you don’t want to win, you don’t need to be here.”

Is it too much to ask for you to actually READ what Vince said?

Why do you feel Mayo has to "step up"?????

The kid was a non-stop machine his rookie year and was taking over the play calling in year two.

He had his knee sliced in the first game, came back 3 weeks earlier than expected and played well, if not prematurely.

Mayo does not need to "step up". The guy is A1.

Step up as[ a leader]. is what I meant.

Why do you feel Mayo has to "step up"?????

The kid was a non-stop machine his rookie year and was taking over the play calling in year two.

He had his knee sliced in the first game, came back 3 weeks earlier than expected and played well, if not prematurely.

Mayo does not need to "step up". The guy is A1.

Mayo needs a true run stuffing ILB paired with him, ie Takeo Spikes complements Patrick "the human tackling machine" Willis

Step up as[ a leader]. is what I meant.

Yea thats the way I took it. Last year was a tough year for the kid. Mayo seems like the kid that once he starts performing at a high-level, his leadership skills will follow.

Last year was tough for the kid. He fought back and did what he could to get back out on the field as soon as he could.

Mayo needs a true run stuffing ILB paired with him, ie Takeo Spikes complements Patrick "the human tackling machine" Willis

Does Brandon Spikes fill that mold?

thats why im hoping for brandon spikes in the draft

This is exactly what the team needs to hear on the defensive side of the ball. Vince is already earning his contract here.

For your kind information I did READ what Vince said, and I READ what Moss said too.

True leadership comes from these below words, right ? How inspirational words Moss is delivering to the team 6 mos before season starts, and 1 yr or change before his contract is up. Um, the same leadership we've heard from Brady, Vrabel, Harrison, Bruschi, Warren, Phifer, McGines when they were entering their last year of contract,

Moss is acting like the same clowns like Law, Milloy, Twig. That's fine, he can say what he wants, but a leader he has never been or will ever be.

'I don't think they going to extend my contract here," Moss said, per Christopher L. Gasper of the Boston Globe. "I understand the beast, the nature of it. I think that just with what I think and what I know I don't think they're going to re-sign me back. So, after this season if there is not a lockout I'll be looking for a new team. I got a lot of respect for the Patriots and what they did for me and my family. So, the only thing I can do is just play this year out and see what my future holds after that. "

"You know the Patriots don't really pay, so when I got my second contract from them that was a blessing in disguise. I understand the business. I don't think they're going to re-sign me back. I'm not mad. I'm not bitter. It's just the way things are in this NFL, so like I said after this year I'll be looking for a new team. I think so. . . .

"That's not a knock on them. That's just how they run their organization," Moss added. "That's how it is. Put it like this, I guess that before I came there the philosophy was believing in their system. I think that's where they really don't pay guys because they have so much faith in their system. I didn't mean it as a knock against the organization. They just don't pay. If as an individual I'm not really in their future plans I would like to go elsewhere."

There it is. "If as an individual I'm not really in their future plans I would like to go elsewhere."

Does Brandon Spikes fill that mold?

BB will see what McKenzie can do. He is the guy. If he can't handle the role, he will bring in a vet.

Not at all.

“As players, we’re going to have to start in the offseason training, and basically, everybody is going to have to be accountable,” Wilfork said, building steam. “If you’re on the field, you have to give me 100. You have to give me 100 percent. Always. We have to weed out the bad seeds, point blank. If you can’t give me what I’m giving you on the field, I don’t need you on the field with me. Point blank. That’s how you win. You got to build trust. Show me that I can trust you.

Just sayin...

For your kind information I did READ what Vince said, and I READ what Moss said too.

True leadership comes from these below words, right ? How inspirational words Moss is delivering to the team 6 mos before season starts, and 1 yr or change before his contract is up. Um, the same leadership we've heard from Brady, Vrabel, Harrison, Bruschi, Warren, Phifer, McGines when they were entering their last year of contract,

Moss is acting like the same clowns like Law, Milloy, Twig. That's fine, he can say what he wants, but a leader he has never been or will ever be.

'I don't think they going to extend my contract here," Moss said, per Christopher L. Gasper of the Boston Globe. "I understand the beast, the nature of it. I think that just with what I think and what I know I don't think they're going to re-sign me back. So, after this season if there is not a lockout I'll be looking for a new team. I got a lot of respect for the Patriots and what they did for me and my family. So, the only thing I can do is just play this year out and see what my future holds after that. "

"You know the Patriots don't really pay, so when I got my second contract from them that was a blessing in disguise. I understand the business. I don't think they're going to re-sign me back. I'm not mad. I'm not bitter. It's just the way things are in this NFL, so like I said after this year I'll be looking for a new team. I think so. . . .

"That's not a knock on them. That's just how they run their organization," Moss added. "That's how it is. Put it like this, I guess that before I came there the philosophy was believing in their system. I think that's where they really don't pay guys because they have so much faith in their system. I didn't mean it as a knock against the organization. They just don't pay. If as an individual I'm not really in their future plans I would like to go elsewhere."

There it is. "If as an individual I'm not really in their future plans I would like to go elsewhere."

So actually you did NOT read what Vince said, as I suspected.

“A lot of guys are not used to seeing young leaders,” he said. “All the leaders we had was older guys. Rodney, (Richard) Seymour, Bruschi, Vrabel. You name it, they were older guys not here anymore. But now you’re starting to see younger guys becoming leaders earlier. It don’t take seven, eight, nine years now to be a leader. We’re a young ballclub. But guess what? These young players we have — (Jerod) Mayo, (Brandon) Meriweather, Ty (Warren), myself, got Tom (Brady), got Randy (Moss). You have guys in this locker room that knows what it takes to win. You just gotta trust it. And we as players and as the leaders of our team. We got to ask more of ourselves and of each other. Coaches coach, players play. … We all got to be on the same page.”

Not at all.

Just sayin...

Mo, I have a lot of respect for you but you are pulling a Florio and using a general quote while completely ignoring Wilfork using Moss' name DIRECTLY

Last edited:

Mo, I have a lot of respect for you but you are pulling a Florio and using a general quote while completely ignoring Wilfork using Moss' name DIRECTLY

Mo has issues with Moss being a dog faker, or something to that effect.

Nice to hear Vince saying this. I'm sure if anyone steps out of line next season, he can simply eat them.

I don't necessarily think he's talking about Moss and I REALLY don't necessarily think Moss was dogging it this year.

Would have been nice if he could have said this when **** actually hit the fan. It's really helping the team now. Sorry, but a leader steps up when they need to. Not 4 months too late.

I don't necessarily think he's talking about Moss and I REALLY don't necessarily think Moss was dogging it this year.

Umm...what?

In any event, Big Vince's comments are music to my ears. The departures of Bruschi, Vrabel and Harrison reulted in a void in veteran leadership - a key part of the Patriots' success under BB. Looks like Vince is ready to take this on - good for him.

Amen to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye