PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork focused on the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE39

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Curran has a blog entry with thoughts from Big Vince:

"I hear everything," he said Friday. "My friends tell me everything but I can't control it and I'm not paying attention. I'm not worrying about none of this. They know how I play. They know what I do in the community. They know me, I know them. I'm happy. I said what I had to say a couple months ago and that was it. I don't have anything else to say about where things are because I'm happy. If it doesn't work itself out, then it wasn't meant to be."

"I'm very encouraged with the offseason so far," he said. "We got Fred Taylor, two cornerbacks that are obviously talented (Shawn Springs and Leigh Bodden). You can see the way we want to approach this year. I'm looking forward to this season and that's the only thing I'm worried about. Everything will play itself out. A deal can get done, next week, next month, next year, in the next two years. I don't care what's going on around me."

Last edited:
He knows hes getting an extension. Hes not worried about it!! He is getting ready for the season! Go wilfork!

if only samuels, branch, etc.. thought the same way as big Vince. everything is falling in to the right place for this season. And we shall have a good one defensively.

"I don't have anything else to say about where things are because I'm happy. If it doesn't work itself out, then it wasn't meant to be."

I don't exactly get a warm fuzzy feeling that Vince is committed to staying in New England.

Last edited:
I don't exactly get a warm fuzzy feeling that Vince is committed to staying in New England.

Way I see it, as long as there are no food shortages in New England, we're at least in the runing to keep Vince.

Some here wouldn't be happy no matter what a player says. Vince can't say I'll stay here no matter what they offer me or he'd be too stupid to play in this complex system. He deserves to get paid like everyone else. The great news is he's really mature and self confident and focused on football rather than status symbols and he's willing to let the business side of the equation take care of itself. Much like Brady that's a real core leader. No whining about FA's getting $$$, he welcomes their addition to the roster. No low key rumblings about what he's worth...no mini camp holdouts or threats.... Just getting ready to play as anyone under contract should and taking his career one season at a time.

He's willing to put his future on the line for $2M+ knowing he's worth a lot more. That may cost them a premium next season. So be it. Risk reward. But he's also a guy who isn't gonna biatch if they transition tag him next season and opt match the best offer he gets or just let him take it unfettered. He understands it's not personal, they are just trying to build a winner as best they can.

Yep, I think Mo pretty much said it all. Glad to have a level headed, mature player of his caliber

Some here wouldn't be happy no matter what a player says. Vince can't say I'll stay here no matter what they offer me or he'd be too stupid to play in this complex system. He deserves to get paid like everyone else. The great news is he's really mature and self confident and focused on football rather than status symbols and he's willing to let the business side of the equation take care of itself. Much like Brady that's a real core leader. No whining about FA's getting $$$, he welcomes their addition to the roster. No low key rumblings about what he's worth...no mini camp holdouts or threats.... Just getting ready to play as anyone under contract should and taking his career one season at a time.

He's willing to put his future on the line for $2M+ knowing he's worth a lot more. That may cost them a premium next season. So be it. Risk reward. But he's also a guy who isn't gonna biatch if they transition tag him next season and opt match the best offer he gets or just let him take it unfettered. He understands it's not personal, they are just trying to build a winner as best they can.
I agree..I think that is what separates some of the players from the others..Branch, Samuel and others...Great point there about WIlfork.

I thought he and his wife have already said several times that they really want to stay in New England and that they can't see themselves going elsewhere. But that's probably a pretty longtime ago and things tend to change pretty fast when it comes to contract negotiations in the nfl.

The most sensible attitude for him to have is:

1. The team and the collective bargaining agreement control most of the timing of the negotiations. He can't change that.
  2. When he has a chance to negotiate, he needs to do what's best for him and his family, all things considered.
  3. The team has given him millions of dollars and a lot of valuable training, as well as a really enjoyable work environment. Whatever decisions they make are nothing to get angry about, as long as they don't do anything particularly sleazy (which they haven't and don't).
It sounds like that's also pretty much the attitude he actually has.

I thought he and his wife have already said several times that they really want to stay in New England and that they can't see themselves going elsewhere. But that's probably a pretty longtime ago and things tend to change pretty fast when it comes to contract negotiations in the nfl.

I guess we'll find out when if/when the pats make an offer or throw some sort of a tag on him. He seems to be saying the right things (historically), but we'll see if his mouth speaks the truth...lets hope the Krafts do find a way to say :youtheman: and Big Vince doesn't have to save face and take someone else's deal. In any case, I hope they do find a way to make it work, Wilfork is a man among boys.

On the other hand, I would much rather cough up premier $ for a NT/DL compared to say...RB/WR. I just think its the right way to build a team...especially on defense. I wouldn't mind seeing us use one or two of those day one picks to rebuild/beef up the O-line too.

I agree. Vince has the right attitude. He's not only a great NT, but a good man and well-grounded in his profession and his community.

You gotta admit, too, that it says a LOT about him that folks are following the Nose tackle as much as the QB :)

We definitely have an embarrassment of riches with this team.

Having lived through the previous seasons since, 1972, it's a pleasure for me to have these sorts of worries... :)

I'll be shocked if he's not extended by the summer. Both sides want a deal, he doesn't seem fixated on setting records for salary. And even if they can't work it out, NT is one of the best values in terms of franchise tags. The number is somewhere in the 6 mill range. That helps the Patriots, I'd think, in terms of negotiating.

Bottom line: I think they'll pay the man quite a lot and he'll be here for a good long while.

people seem pretty eager to extend him, but I'm wondering if they'll just wait for next year to work that out, being a possibly uncapped year, and having an uncertain cba in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes