PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork fined $15K

Status
Not open for further replies.
$15k? I thought he was just trying to point out to Jacob's who the hottest cheerleader was.
biggrin.gif

No doubt. Most of them keep their emotions in check far better than I would as a mere average Joe! :)

It's incredible, when you think about it. Just making the team, playing at a high level, all the camera crap and media. Then having a perfect season.

When the Giants start out like the Titans, I could see the geysers blowing in some Patriots, that's a lot of tension built up.

By the way, congrats to the Giants for a great game. Really feel like we earned it.

I am surprised at just how many opposing fans seemed to think that this was preferential treatment.

What did they expect, a suspension from a postseason game? For essentially touching a guy's facemask because Big Vince wasn't getting his fat fingers that far in. Please.

15k = 1/5 of his paycheck or bonus. It's not bad at all. BB was fined 500k and he has not complained anything. :)

Last edited:
more or less expected

it's not really a big deal to these BIG players. If you earn from 500k to 10m a year, do you really care if you are fined 15k.? Not really.

The $15K could have impact.
Wilfork may not have the money to 'feed his family' most of which I'm sure goes to Big Vince himself. Imagine Vince slimmed down like Welker. The horror!

He's one of my favorite players. Great sense of humor.

My opinion is that the fines for conduct like this is way too low to discourage the behavior.

What the NFL should do is assess a find equal to 1/16 of the players cap hit. So basically what the player got paid to play the game including bonuses and also charge the team that same amount as a fine that goes against next years cap.

In this case about $75k. If coaches and GMs took a hit in the salary cap every time this type of crap occurs you can bet their would be more emphasis by coaches to avoid this, and idiots like Roy Williams would either change or be out of a job.

Before you attack me for being overly harsh on Wilfork, I am talking about cracking down on all of the dirty players not just Wilfork.

My opinion is that the fines for conduct like this is way too low to discourage the behavior.

What the NFL should do is assess a find equal to 1/16 of the players cap hit. So basically what the player got paid to play the game including bonuses and also charge the team that same amount as a fine that goes against next years cap.

In this case about $75k. If coaches and GMs took a hit in the salary cap every time this type of crap occurs you can bet their would be more emphasis by coaches to avoid this, and idiots like Roy Williams would either change or be out of a job.

Before you attack me for being overly harsh on Wilfork, I am talking about cracking down on all of the dirty players not just Wilfork.

I could see a percentage based system for fines rather than fixed numbers.

I do think you would have to have a range that is fair ... perhaps 0.1% to 20%. You wouldn't want a fixed percentage since forgetting to buckle your chin strap should be a very small fine while stomping on an opponent's helmetless head should be a rather large fine.

I really can't think of any offense that would warrant more than 20% of someone's salary. In fact, maybe the upper limit should be less than that. If the offense is that horrendous to exceed the upper percentage limit, a suspension is warranted.

WilforkPokedbyGiants.jpg

Anyone know if this Giant was fined from the pre season for doing the same thing?

Last edited:
WilforkPokedbyGiants.jpg

Anyone know if this Giant was fined from the pre season for doing the same thing?
Is that real ? Someone needs to send that to PFT who currently have a headline of : "It's cheaper to put out an eye than it is to bump a ref" - even though an eye wasn't taken out.

Unbelievable.

Is that real ? Someone needs to send that to PFT who currently have a headline of : "It's cheaper to put out an eye than it is to bump a ref" - even though an eye wasn't taken out.

Unbelievable.

I just sent off an email to Florio ripping him for that piece. Look what Wilfork did was stupid and uncalled for. I'll bet money that it won't happen again either. That being said, I was poked in the eye, and I could not use that eye for a half hour. It hurt like hell too. Wilfork did not poke that guy in the eye. If he had, Jacobs would have had to leave the game to get treatment. He would not have been able to use his eye.

Last edited:
Dudes, I'm telling you, he was clearly attempting to hurt him--when he got that finger in there and hit the side of his nose he tried to jam it up toward the eye. How many chances does this guy get? If Williams gets suspended for his tackling, why not Wilfork on his Third F*ing infraction of the year?

A lot worse stuff goes on underneath the pile (ie- Nut grabbing, pulling fingers so as to break them). Wilfork's a firey guy and the Giants were being chippy all game long. Does that excuse him? No but he lost his cool and (hopefully) he'll be more careful in the future.

BTW, Rodney Harrison gets fined all the time and doesn't get suspended.

If Williams gets suspended for his tackling, why not Wilfork on his Third F*ing infraction of the year?
Well - how many times has Wilfork put a player out for an extended time like Williams did to Terrell Owens back in 2004 ?

here's what PFT had to say about it:

WILFORK GOT OFF WAY TOO EASY

We're amazed -- amazed -- that Pats defensive tackle Vince Wilfork was fined only $15,000 for treating Giants running back Brandon Jacobs like he'd just said "nyuk, nyuk, nyuk."

Wilfork jammed his stubby finger into Jacobs' eye!

Sure, Jacobs wasn't hurt. But the act was still heinous. If the officials had seen it, he surely would have been ejected. So why wasn't he suspended?

And given that it was Wilfork's third fine of the year for on-field misbehavior, we think that he at least should have been fined far more than $15,000.

Finally, a reader has made a great suggestion. Why not base these fines on a percentage of the player's annual salary? As it now stands, these penalties affect players of different income levels differently. The goal, however, should be to create a deterrent effect that is consistent. The best way to do that is to take away a specific portion of the player's pay.

Wow PFT overeacts! :eek: I'm really surprised. :rolleyes:

Heinous? You would have thought Vince had gouged the man's eye out after reading this.

Dudes, I'm telling you, he was clearly attempting to hurt him--when he got that finger in there and hit the side of his nose he tried to jam it up toward the eye. How many chances does this guy get? If Williams gets suspended for his tackling, why not Wilfork on his Third F*ing infraction of the year?

This is the height of idiocy.

"Clearly trying to hurt him"?!

Anyone who thinks that Vince was trying to touch his eye or hurt him in any way clearly has no idea what they are talking about. The easiest way to irritate a football player is to touch their facemask. Vince was doing this with some emphasis.

And holding up a PFT article as if that has any relelvence? Please. That guy may have some sources, but any time he needs to formulate his own opinion he shows just how unbelievably uninformed he really is.

Starting your argument with the word "dudes" really hurts anything you are trying to say.

But since YOU'RE telling us that he was definitely trying to hurt him, I guess I have no argument. Clearly you have omniscient powers.

Oh, by the way, since you clearly aren't going to know what omniscient means:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omniscient

People are referring to this as Wilfork's third infraction this year. Can someone help jog my memory? I remember the hit on Losman, but what was the other one?

Thanks.

fair. we should be thankful he wasn't suspended, but he did make a reasonable argument that he didn't put his finger in his eye but jabbed his forehead. another inch to the right and we might have lost him for the divisional round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes