PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork-Brace-Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think Wilfork is fast enough to play DE in a 3-4. What say you all?

I don't expect Seymour and Green to playing for us in 2010. In any case, I'm sure Bleichick is assessing our 2010 options, including the obvious "how many DE's do we draft in the 2010 draft".

More likely Brace-Wilfork-Warren. I think Brace will end up splitting time as a NT and DE. He's got the quickness for it. Wilfork is too valuable as a NT.

Brace has quickness?

Much like BB's issue with the OLBs in this draft, either Brace or Wilfork really have the lenght to play on the edge. To me this is a non-starter.

SSDD

neither brace nor wilfork are suited for 3-4 DE

the drafting of brace was to improve the quality of depth ..... I don't see that pick as being relevant to the green / seymour situation

I doubt you will see green here next year, and I'd be willing to bet that seymour and wilfork will be extended

I think Brace is a 2009 version of Green. Insurance who can rotate and start as needed. I don't know why everything has to be black or white, in or out here. He comes relatively cheap as quality depth and a role player for the next 3-4 years during which lots can happen.

He's neither Wilfork nor Seymour...although if you have to have one he may be the poor man's version of Wilfork.

There is no black or white. We are just exploring the potential of our new DL. I think he was well worth the pick as a backup NT and perhaps as a DT in goal line situations.

We didn't draft a DE even though DE's take time to develop. It is very likely that we will lose either Seymour and/or Green in 2010. It seems reasonable to explore whether Brace increases our options or whether Smith and Wright and a 1st round 2010 draft choice are the options at DE to replace Seymour or Green.

Has Wilfork been extended yet? Maybe the 3 DTs are a message to Wilfork?

seymour is a great DE .Only here the leading sack leader in NFL among 3-4END had to leave to improve the team.

There is no black or white. We are just exploring the potential of our new DL. I think he was well worth the pick as a backup NT and perhaps as a DT in goal line situations.

We didn't draft a DE even though DE's take time to develop. It is very likely that we will lose either Seymour and/or Green in 2010. It seems reasonable to explore whether Brace increases our options or whether Smith and Wright and a 1st round 2010 draft choice are the options at DE to replace Seymour or Green.

I think they fully intend to get Wilfork done. He can't play every down, that position is simply too demanding. If they don't get him done they can transition tag him. Save the Franchise for Seymour. They need lose nobody in an uncapped season, and if the CBA gets fixed long term deals will be easier to craft so they need not lose everyone then.

Just for once I'd like to see us (the message board not the team who always does) play one season at a time...and god forbid, maybe even enjoy it...

We may indeed pay both Wilfork and Seymour $10M a year. We are exploring options.

seymour is a great DE .Only here the leading sack leader in NFL among 3-4END had to leave to improve the team.

Isn't it possible that the team drafted the two nose tackles because it deems Wilfork as likely to leave via free agency? All the comments here seem to see it as a negotiating ploy, but that is not the most obvious interpretation.

Not every free agent is willing to take a discount.

Darryl Richard - Official New England Patriots Biography

Darryl Richard DT
Height: 6-4 Weight: 290
Year: R Yrs/Pat: 1
Acquired: D7-2009(234th overall)
School: Georgia Tech
Born: Jun 17, 1986

6'3 300 is a borderline NT. 6'4 290 is a 3-4 End. Who knows...the patriots love their hybrids

Last edited:
Isn't it possible that the team drafted the two nose tackles because it deems Wilfork as likely to leave via free agency? All the comments here seem to see it as a negotiating ploy, but that is not the most obvious interpretation.

Richards and Pryor, yes, but you don't use a 2nd round pick as a negotiating ploy. Theyre too valuable.

How about Warren- Brace-Wilfork- Seymour. I know that you 3-4 purest will not like that. But we could see a lot more 4-3 this year. We have not been able to get pressure up the middle and this may be a way to do it.

And BTW, we did switch to a 4-3 during the 2001 season and the defense improved. BB is a good enough coach to know that you play with the best horses and don't try to force what is not there.

Why should we be expecting Wilfork to give us a discount? I think that the team will be willing to pay the market price for Wilfork.

Not every free agent is willing to take a discount.

I see us occasionally playing some 4-3 or a hybrid with Adalius Thomas acting like a DE/OLB.

Something to keep the opposing offensive coaches up late at night with blocking assignments.

It increases our versatility and reminds me of the Vikings a couple of years ago with the two monster DTs that prompted NE in a Monday night game with them to go pass happy.

Now we presumably--BB must think so, shipping our formerly starting CB, Ellis Hobbs, for peanuts--have the speed, athleticism, and ball hawking ability in the secondary to dare teams to do likewise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back