Wilfork at DE from now on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
He looked real good playing DE vs the chargers, missed the ravens game but I heard he played well there too. Do you guys see him playing DE the rest of the year or is it going to be a matchup thing? Warren seems to be doing a good job at NT.

It's a matchup thing. As much of a problem he is on the outside, he is a wall in the middle.

I'm not sure its a matchup thing, I think it is the best defensive allignment for them. Warren is holding his own at nose but Mayo and Spikes are much better at stopping the run then our OLB's at this point. Moving Wilfork outside forces opposing teams to run inside more. We were getting gashed off tackle prior to the Ravens game.

The way they have stopped the run over the past two weeks, I don't see why we would change it back.

Last edited:
voted on the thread to offset the one star bandit.

It's a matchup thing. As much of a problem he is on the outside, he is a wall in the middle.

At the goaline, # 92 got spun around backwards on the SD TD run.

At the goaline, # 92 got spun around backwards on the SD TD run.

#92 is Warren. So are you agreeing with me or not? I'm confused :confused:

Last edited:
I'm not sure its a matchup thing, I think it is the best defensive allignment for them. Warren is holding his own at nose but Mayo and Spikes are much better at stopping the run then our OLB's at this point. Moving Wilfork outside forces opposing teams to run inside more. We were getting gashed off tackle prior to the Ravens game.

The way they have stopped the run over the past two weeks, I don't see why we would change it back.

makes sense really ... good points ... getting them to run at Mayo and Spikes vs outside where we are weaker against the run.

Last edited:
I say keep him there until a team shows they can run on us in the middle. As someone else said, any this point, our ILBs are better at stopping the run than our OLBs.

makes sense really ... good points ... getting them to run at Mayo and Spikes vs outside where we are weaker against the run.

Not sure why (I believe) Nantz said it was a matchup thing. I think that is our 3-4 front allignment moving forward.

It appears that Deaderick has secured the LDE spot, although it appeard Brace had just a few weeks ago, so who knows. :confused:

I say keep him there until a team shows they can run on us in the middle. As someone else said, any this point, our ILBs are better at stopping the run than our OLBs.

Absolutely. The difference between last year and this year (ie the difference between hurt Mayo/Guyton and healthy Mayo/Spikes) is that now we can stop the run up the middle with or without Wilfork. Wilfork and Deaderick at DE suits me just fine.

Last edited:
I was just about to post a thread about this. Wilfork, at end, is just about unblockable right now... as Simms or whoever noted during the game. Plus, it's easier to get to the QB or RB in the backfield from the outside (less double teams, more space). I say keep with what's working so well.

Wasn't there a year or two in the past when the 3-4 worked with competent mediocrity at the nose? I'm thinking specifically of Rick Lyle.

And by the way, the defense hasn't exactly excelled through much of Wilfork's prime.

Doing things this way -- and shading the scheme however is needed to make up for it -- seems like it's worth a try.

We may try different sets against different teams. In any case, we have a very fine running defense with Deaderick, Warren and Wilfork up front in any combination, with Mayo and Spikes as ILB's and Cunningham protecting one edge.

The final starting spot against the run is somewhat up for grabs.

Wasn't there a year or two in the past when the 3-4 worked with competent mediocrity at the nose? I'm thinking specifically of Rick Lyle.

And by the way, the defense hasn't exactly excelled through much of Wilfork's prime.

Doing things this way -- and shading the scheme however is needed to make up for it -- seems like it's worth a try.

I don't think so. One year I recall the plan was our superior technique was going to make up for lack of bulk, with Lyle rotating with Jarvis Green and Klecko.

Amazingly, BB threw the technique theory out the window when Ted Washington became available.:D

They might have patched together a couple games with Lyle as nose, maybe as tackle in a 4-3 too, in 2002. That was the year the comedian Steve Martin did his "ramblin guy" routine while supposedly playing NT until December.

Seymour played some nose in 2001, but 4-3 was the norm, I believe.

Last edited:
I don't think so. One year I recall the plan was our superior technique was going to make up for lack of bulk, with Lyle rotating with Jarvis Green and Klecko.

Amazingly, BB threw the technique theory out the window when Ted Washington became available.:D

They might have patched together a couple games with Lyle as nose, maybe as tackle in a 4-3 too, in 2002. That was the year the comedian Steve Martin did his "ramblin guy" routine while supposedly playing NT until December.

Seymour played some nose in 2001, but 4-3 was the norm, I believe.

Well, I'm thinking of competent mediocrity working as being the exception. Mainly we've had young Seymour, young Ty Warren, Wilfork, Washington, 4-3, gimmicks (e.g., Vrabel vs. the Colts playing pseudo-NT), or fiasco.

I'm just saying it's not an unheard-of exception.

Wilfork is playing lights out against the run from DE. He's so used to being doubled and tripled that he effortlessly two gaps the OT and plays off to make tackles. What a player he is.

I'm going to pat myself on the back on this because of the so called 10k posters here saying "Why move a PROBOWL NT and make yourself weaker", "That is a horrible idea".. I've been saying this for a while Wilfork reminds me of Ngata.. a player who can play all 3 positions.. I'm not shocked Wilfork is playing DE and doing it well..

So to all those people who get put down about "out of the box" idea's, remember this one because those 10k posters don't know any more than me and you.. They only have more free time to post dribble

Mayo and Spikes are much better at stopping the run then our OLB's at this point. Moving Wilfork outside forces opposing teams to run inside more. We were getting gashed off tackle prior to the Ravens game.

I agree in principle, but isn't it interesting that this line still stifled the run in a game where Spikes was largely benched in favor of Fletcher & Guyton for pass coverage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots