PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork after game on possibly being franchised: "Of course I would be upset"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wilfork after game on possibly being franchised: "Up course I would be upset"

I'm not sure I agree as he's a non factor on passing downs. Again, I love Vince but he's mostly a guy who contributes on run downs.

Yup...... particularly with the d that we put up around him this year. We got out best pressure up front on the weeks he was out and we had 1 down linemen and everyone standing around pre-snap.

When he's in there 3 or 4 guys have there hands on the ground and on pass plays, we can't even so much as throw grass at the opposing QB, let alone get pressure or a sack. Our pass rush was only good this year when we stunted and gadgeted. As soon as Wilfork put his hand down, we were susceptible to the pass.

I think that is more of the scheme and personnel they put around him, more them him, but still. On passing plays......... he was ineffective out there ths year.

I like the guy and I hope he stays but today is not the day to ask for a raise.

Without question, particularly if you are "run-stopping nose-tackle" whose team just gave up 250 odd rushing yards in a playoff game.

Last edited:
Re: Wilfork after game on possibly being franchised: "Up course I would be upset"

I like the guy and I hope he stays but today is not the day to ask for a raise.

he's not asking for a raise.....his contract is up

the problem with disasters like today is that it alters the perspectives of your top players in a situation like wilfork. in this situation, you can probably forget any hometown discount by wilfork, and a team who needs to work on its defense does not need a protracted battle with a top player who is pissed that he got tagged.

the pats lost alot of their 'allure' today. one can argue now that there are greener pastures in other places.

wilfork is a high character guy who will be willing to take his high character act to another team.

Number 1 priority this off season should be Vince Wilfork, love the big guy.

Pay Wilfork $10M a year. If that doesn't work give him $11M.

I dont understand the Patriots office.

If they see that player X is very good, young, and whose contract is up in 2-3 yrs, why dont they negotiate for a long-term contract?

Why is it that they wait till the last year?

They extend players that are mediocre, yet the very good players, it's the same game, last year or franchise.

Memo to office: Extend Welker's contract, next year or sooner.

I have this sinking feeling in my gut that we're not going to re-sign Wilfork. Instead, I think we're going to franchise him and send him to the highest bidder, ala Cassel. If we do that, we're losing the best NT in the business. Also, if we do that, I fully expect half the board to freely act like his loss wasn't a huge one.

I have this sinking feeling in my gut that we're not going to re-sign Wilfork. Instead, I think we're going to franchise him and send him to the highest bidder, ala Cassel. If we do that, we're losing the best NT in the business. Also, if we do that, I fully expect half the board to freely act like his loss wasn't a huge one.

what a collosal mistake that would be.

someone needs to explain to me how this franchise stuff works in a friggin' upcapped year? I mean - the money is allegedly flowing right? no cap? does this mean that Kraft is just cheap? someone explain....pls.

Last edited:

If Belichick does that, I'll look forward to hearing about the genius of the 1-5-5 defense with a DE as the only defensive lineman.

Last edited:

I have this sinking feeling in my gut that we're not going to re-sign Wilfork. Instead, I think we're going to franchise him and send him to the highest bidder, ala Cassel.
I think we'll Franchise him and promise not to do so again in 12 months like with Samuel. Depending how the CBA works out, though, they may make a legit attempt to re-sign him unlike Samuel.

Guys, the uncapped year isn't here yet. Stay tuned.

I think we'll Franchise him and promise not to do so again in 12 months like with Samuel. Depending how the CBA works out, though, they may make a legit attempt to re-sign him unlike Samuel.

I certainly hope so. There would be no excuses in an uncapped year.

If this is not an uncapped year, the patriots are in deep trouble. In addition to having to deal with all we have discussed, Mankins and Gostkowski would be free agents.

Guys, the uncapped year isn't here yet. Stay tuned.

Yep, sign him. What would the Pats do if they let him walk? Put Brace or Pryor in there?

Why would the patriots be more likely to be the highest bidder (or close) in an uncapped year than in a capped year?

I certainly hope so. There would be no excuses in an uncapped year.

if they donT put the tag on him and let him hit the market some one will offer him big money that the pats wont pay

if they can trade seymour, with out replaceing him who is wilfork, reaven still get over 200 yerds runing with him in there and they ran right at him

If he had more dimension to him, I'd see giving him top dollar. He's a fantastic run stuffer (except for today, obviously) but that's just one area. Add some ability to collapse the pocket (yes, I know NTs don't get a lot of sacks but they generate SOME pressure on a consistent basis) and he'd be worth the outrageous money he might and likely is looking for.

I think there is a minimal chance we sign Wilfork. He's gonna command 90-100 mil over 6-7years. The Pats are gonna laugh at that, it's just not their nature. They couldn't even give a 3 time winning SB qb that kind of money. Remember how long we were sitting on pins and needles waiting for Moss to resign after the 2007 Super Bowl? He should have been resigned the day after the SB, it just dragged out unnecessarily--you don't do that with players that good, you burn bridges or risk losing them to another team. 30 mil over 3 years is cake for other NFL teams to dish out to a gamechanging player like Moss--we got Moss for a great price. Yeah there are cap issues, but it always seems so complicated with Kraft and the Pats to resign talent to reasonable contracts. Gaffney, Stallworth, Thomas, Kelley Washington, and the list of WRs goes on. I'm getting annoyed letting all this solid talent just leave--they aren't asking for ridiculous money just fair market value, it's astonishing.

I dont understand the Patriots office.

If they see that player X is very good, young, and whose contract is up in 2-3 yrs, why dont they negotiate for a long-term contract?

Why is it that they wait till the last year?

They extend players that are mediocre, yet the very good players, it's the same game, last year or franchise.

Memo to office: Extend Welker's contract, next year or sooner.

One reason would be to take advantage of the uncapped year. Because of the intricacies of the salary cap, you can't escalate someone's salary by more than 30%, so if you extended Vince last year, the uncapped year advantage would be minimized.

As for extending mediocre guys, they all got short contracts with hardly any bonuses. They could be cut tomorrow with hardly an impact on the salary cap.

Plus, look at all the guys the Patriots have extended through the years: Brady, Dillon, Moss, Light, Koppen, Warren, Seymour, Law, Bruschi, Vrabel, McGinest. all these players signed extended contracts. Only Samuel, Woody, Givens and Branch got away without extensions. I might be forgetting others.

I think there is a minimal chance we sign Wilfork. He's gonna command 90-100 mil over 6-7years. The Pats are gonna laugh at that, it's just not their nature. They couldn't even give a 3 time winning SB qb that kind of money. Remember how long we were sitting on pins and needles waiting for Moss to resign after the 2007 Super Bowl? He should have been resigned the day after the SB, it just dragged out unnecessarily--you don't do that with players that good, you burn bridges or risk losing them to another team. 30 mil over 3 years is cake for other NFL teams to dish out to a gamechanging player like Moss--we got Moss for a great price. Yeah there are cap issues, but it always seems so complicated with Kraft and the Pats to resign talent to reasonable contracts. Gaffney, Stallworth, Thomas, Kelley Washington, and the list of WRs goes on. I'm getting annoyed letting all this solid talent just leave--they aren't asking for ridiculous money just fair market value, it's astonishing.

Players leave every team because of the salary cap. Every time you sign a player it means less money for other players. Any way you work the logic, it doesn't add up because at the end of the day, the team needs to spend 98% of the cap, and they do.

Yeah and how many Super Bowls have the other teams won that have gone out and spent big money on their own?

Spending too much is a surer way to kill a team than any other strategy known to man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back