PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wild theory on Mangini "cheating"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzzard

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I don't know if anybody else has mentioned this or even thought about it, but I think it's worth a mention.

Does anyone else see that taping signals is behind Mangini's own success? Not counting the years he was with the Pats, because we all know he benefitted from that.

Think about this.

Manging takes over the Jets and leads them to the playoffs in his first season.

During the first game of his second season, his bitterness gets the best of him and he turns in BB for taping at the meadowlands. Turning over the matter to the league, also could have been the sole work of someone in his front office who's name I have forgotten.. much to Mangini's dismay. He may not have realized that this was what Mangini was doing to help the Jets succeed. Remember, Mangini only told someone to go get the tape and stop him. He might have just hoped that keeping BB from seeing his signals would help him win against us.
The sh!tstorm then hits the Pats, the likes of which nobody could have predicted. Immediately Mangini discontinues his taping practices for fear of the same, or worse, kind of backlash.
The Jets go on to tank the entire season. A big difference between a playoff season and a top 6 draft pick season.

Could it be that he, himself could not win without signal taping?

We know he did videotaped too because of the "permission to tape at Gillette" faisco, that came out after Cameragate broke.

I find it quite possible that he discontinued it to avoid such backlash and found that he just didn't have the chops to win without using signal taping. The odds are that all the other coaches probably kept doing it but were just more careful about it and where they did it.
But, Mangini figured he would have eyes on him and figured taping of any kind would be used to crucify him.

Like the title states... this is a WILD theory. But, I am interested in seeing what the rest of you folks think about it.

I really don't think taping helps that much. It just shows tendencies and is more like advanced scouting. I think the Jets had a softer schedule his first season and no one was prepared for them the first time around. Once the league was able to figure out Mangini, the Jets weren't able to win those games that they would have won last year. My $0.02.

Thats more than likely the scenerio.

Again, I thought it would be funny to throw out a wild theory, for nthose who believe taping signnals is a huge benefit :p

Hopefully when Mangini gets canned the truth will come out.

I think his first year genius was tied into the laptop with the Pats information he stole. Until he can steal another laptop from Foxboro, the 2007 Mangini is the real Mangini.

i definitely think mangini is a cheat, a thief, a hypocrite and worst of all, a crappy head coach.

I don't know if anybody else has mentioned this or even thought about it, but I think it's worth a mention.

Does anyone else see that taping signals is behind Mangini's own success? Not counting the years he was with the Pats, because we all know he benefitted from that.

Think about this.

During the first game of his second season, his bitterness gets the best of him and he turns in BB for taping at the meadowlands. Turning over the matter to the league, also could have been the sole work of someone in his front office who's name I have forgotten.. much to Mangini's dismay. He may not have realized that this was what Mangini was doing to help the Jets succeed. Remember, Mangini only told someone to go get the tape and stop him. He might have just hoped that keeping BB from seeing his signals would help him win against us.
The sh!tstorm then hits the Pats, the likes of which nobody could have predicted. Immediately Mangini discontinues his taping practices for fear of the same, or worse, kind of backlash.
The Jets go on to tank the entire season. A big difference between a playoff season and a top 6 draft pick season.

We know he did videotaped too because of the "permission to tape at Gillette" faisco, that came out after Cameragate broke.

I find it quite possible that he discontinued it to avoid such backlash and found that he just didn't have the chops to win without using signal taping. The odds are that all the other coaches probably kept doing it but were just more careful about it and where they did it.
But, Mangini figured he would have eyes on him and figured taping of any kind would be used to crucify him.

Like the title states... this is a WILD theory. But, I am interested in seeing what the rest of you folks think about it.

You might find a few dozen threads and a few hundred posts on this wild theory back in September of 2007 or so, noting that at the very least, MangIdiot was content to see his fortunes as a head coaching candidate grow thanks to the success of his former team.

Last edited:
The Jets made the playoffs in 2006 because they got reasonable QB play and had an easy schedule. In 2007 they had bad QB play, a tougher schedule, horrible OL play, and no pass rush, and they went 4-12.

The OP is putting way too much emphasis on taping. If you think it does that much, then you probably think the penalty the Pats received was fair.

Any advantage from taping like the Patriots did for advanced scouting is so minor it can not be the sole reason for the Jets Decline. Besides, I don't think Mangini is smart enough. I think his first year was because of an easier schedule and stuff.

Think about this.

Eh. I think the Jets just stink. They don't have a good QB, their coach doesn't know what he's doing (tapes or not) and they had a harder schedule last year, which exposed their mediocre personnel. We'll see if their upgrades have done anything this year. I tend to doubt it, as they didn't do anything at two positions that really matter - coach and QB.

i definitely think mangini is a cheat, a thief, a hypocrite and worst of all, a crappy head coach.
That means BB is also a cheat, so whatever.I don't believe that.
If people want to hate him that's fine,but the rest of this stuff is a little silly.

Again what is the difference of a scout in the stands, or in this new tech age we live in taping a game.. its stupid... Its called scouting, and just because other coaches are too dumb to realise it, then its thier own fault

Again what is the difference of a scout in the stands, or in this new tech age we live in taping a game.. its stupid... Its called scouting, and just because other coaches are too dumb to realize it, then its thier own fault

Ding ding ding - I do not understand why this is not clearly evident to any fan of football.

Yes, BB broke a damn rule and gathered his scouting information in a manner that formerly was overlooked, but a rule enforcement memo was sent 9/06 supposedly clearing things up, BB did not abide by it and continued to tape as he (and many others before he) had always done.

That's all there is to this folks....nothing more - nothing at all.

Why such a firestorm?? I do not get it and I never will.

Last edited:
I just want to clarify, I do not Think that there was so much of an advantage gained through scouting signals.
I just wanted to put an "if that was true, then by proxy, this is true too" post for all the idiot haters.
If they want to insist that there was such a huge competetive advantage gained from taping signals, then this wild theory has to also be true.

Honestly, it is part of the game, and I believe it is still going on, even in the Patriots organization.
But of course they are following the letter of the rule exactly, if they are.

Remember.... it is legal if you do it properly.

Last edited:
Ding ding ding - I do not understand why this is not clearly evident to any fan of football.

Yes, BB broke a damn rule and gathered his scouting information in a manner that formerly was overlooked, but a rule enforcement memo was sent 9/06 supposedly clearing things up, BB did not abide by it and continued to tape as he (and many others before he) had always done.

That's all there is to this folks....nothing more - nothing at all.

Why such a firestorm?? I do not get it and I never will.

because the media does not report the story, they create it

Like i said, Belichick is getting a bad rap, because he is a so called loser... Well if you lost a afc title game and super bowl, that you should have won, you would be pissed too..

Again Belichick broke a rule, he did not cheat, and will go to my grave thinking this...

Last edited:
Again what is the difference of a scout in the stands, or in this new tech age we live in taping a game.. its stupid... Its called scouting, and just because other coaches are too dumb to realise it, then its thier own fault

That's the thing. Giselle could tape signals from the 5th row and it would be legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes