Wild Card Weekend: AFC Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.noticias.info/asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=133762&src=0

Throughout the course of the season, Ravens' pro personnel director George Kokinis watches tape of nearly every team in the league. He helps scout Ravens' opponents, and also scours the league for possible free agent additions.

Exclusively for BaltimoreRavens.com, Kokinis breaks down this weekend's four AFC playoff games.

JAGUARS (12-4) AT PATRIOTS (10-6)/Saturday, 8 p.m. (ABC)

By the numbers

Jaguars' offense: 321.8 yards per game (tied-15th in the NFL)

Jaguars' defense: 290.9 (6th)

Jaguars' turnover ratio: Plus-11 (tied-5th)

Patriots' offense: 352.0 (7th)

Patriots' defense: 330.2 (26th)

Patriots' turnover ratio: Minus-6 (tied-20th)

Kokinis on the Jaguars' offense: "Quarterback Byron Leftwich broke his ankle six weeks ago, but it sounds like he's going to play Sunday. He took most of the snaps this week. It'll be interesting to see how he bounces back. If he can't, it'll be David Garrard. The Jaguars have skill position guys that are good and have been doing it a long time -- wide receiver Jimmy Smith and running back Fred Taylor."

Kokinis on the Jaguars' defense: "They have the two interior guys, John Henderson and Marcus Stroud, probably the two biggest interior tackles in the league. They brought Reggie Hayward on to be another pass-rusher. I think he had 8.5 sacks and I think Paul Spicer had 7.5. Rashean Mathis had as good a year as any corner in the league."

Kokinis on the Patriots' offense: "What are you going to stop with New England? Are you going to stop quarterback Tom Brady or you going to stop running back Corey Dillon? I think that's what New England does as good as any team in the league. They're either going to slow-bleed you with Corey Dillon or they're going to kill you quickly with Brady. Whatever way you want to take it."

Kokinis on the Patriots' defense: "I think if you look at the back-half of the year, New England has played as good a defense as anybody in the league. I don't think anybody has done anything on the ground against them. I think New England is getting healthy at the right time. Defensive end Richard Seymour's back. Linebacker Tedy Bruschi had that little calf injury, but he's going to play this week. Rosevelt Colvin is starting to play the way they thought he would play a couple of years ago before his hip injury. Mike Vrabel, moving him down inside was a nice move for them."

Matchup to watch -- Quarterbacks, and how they handle the pressure: "I think you have to look at history. Under pressure, Brady has made those plays. You haven't seen Leftwich or Garrard in those pressure situations. To me, the Patriots are the team to beat right now in the entire NFL. They've won two straight titles, and you can't take it away from them. They're playing as good as any team. Their defense is playing as good as any team and they've got Brady."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes