PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wild Card Prediction Thread - Who Plays On? Who Goes Home?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Four teams who will play on - Pick only the teams to WIN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jest
Pats
Packers
Cowboys

You read my mind.

I think the Jets are capable of pulling of an upset with their attacking defense. I might not like em much, but I know they've got talent on the defensive side of the football. Sanchez might do just enough to win this one.

Pats @ home over the Ravens. Brady is almost unbeatable on home turf. Look for this trend to continue. The OL is fully healthy and adding Vollmer and Neal to the equation is going to allow the offense to run a balanced attack. Also Brady + time to throw = generally the demise of opponents. Look for Edelman to step up as well.

Packers are hot and they have the talent to win this one. They are just coming off a rout of the Cards and the confidence should continue into the playoffs for this rematch game.

It's tough to pick against the Eagles. But the Cowboys defense looks to be really turning the heat up. Miles Austin is for real btw. Roy Williams is no more than a 3rd wheel. I think he needs a change of scenery. 4th round pick to get Williams as the Pats #3 WR in 2010? Eagles could easily prove me wrong since they usually do quite well in the playoffs, but we'll see. This might be the year that Romo gets it done for once. More likely I see the Cowboys defense taking over the game and causing some turnovers.

Cincy over the Jets (the only game I'm 50/50 on)

Patriots over Ravens

Cardinals over Packers (stunned that everyone is taking the Pack; in the hneat of Arizona, the Cards will show playoff pride again and blow out the Pack; it won't be close, Rodgers will panic and throw 3 INTs.)

Cowboys over Eagles (Eagles showed no pride, they had a lot to play for, the Cowpokes own their balls)

jets

pats

eagels. cause they where my preseason SB pick

packers

You read my mind.

I think the Jets are capable of pulling of an upset with their attacking defense. I might not like em much, but I know they've got talent on the defensive side of the football. Sanchez might do just enough to win this one.

Pats @ home over the Ravens. Brady is almost unbeatable on home turf. Look for this trend to continue. The OL is fully healthy and adding Vollmer and Neal to the equation is going to allow the offense to run a balanced attack. Also Brady + time to throw = generally the demise of opponents. Look for Edelman to step up as well.

Packers are hot and they have the talent to win this one. They are just coming off a rout of the Cards and the confidence should continue into the playoffs for this rematch game.

It's tough to pick against the Eagles. But the Cowboys defense looks to be really turning the heat up. Miles Austin is for real btw. Roy Williams is no more than a 3rd wheel. I think he needs a change of scenery. 4th round pick to get Williams as the Pats #3 WR in 2010? Eagles could easily prove me wrong since they usually do quite well in the playoffs, but we'll see. This might be the year that Romo gets it done for once. More likely I see the Cowboys defense taking over the game and causing some turnovers.

I think the Pats will be looking for a 2ND depth receiver next season...I cannot see how Welker will be back before midseason with his injury that was very comparable to Brady's

Patriots will roll on Balty. We got homefield and they have a weak secondary and receiving core!!!!!!! Expect Brady to have a great day as he, Randy, Edelman, Faulk, Watson, and others do great this Sunday.

Bengals will win. In the battle of the 2 Trojan QBs, Palmer prevails as the Bengals running attack destroys the Jets.

The Cowboys will beat the Eagles. AGAIN. The game might be much closer, but Romo, like he has this season, is responding to adversity. The Cowboys ability to run the ball can put games away and protect their leads.

The Packers and Cardinals game is going to be a toss-up. I cannot predict a winner. Arizona is tough at home and with the Packers improved D, they can create TO's. Expect a shootout with either team to come on top.

Bengals 27, Jets 17: Bengals clearly were disinterested last week, Jets will take a while catching up to speed after not having to play a team that was trying for 6 quarters. The Sanchize will find a way to lose it.

Pats 24, Ravens 20: Close game will be won in the 4th-- a little of that ol' familiar Brady magic.

Eagles 30, Cowboys 17: Fly Eagles Fly! Last week was an aberration-- I don't buy that the Eagles laid down last week, they had a first round bye on the line had they won-- but they'll make thr adjustments this week and Romo will choke.

Packers 35, Cards 21: Green Bay is rollin'... and this sets up Farvapalooza III at the Metrodome, and hopefully sweet sweet justice this time round as the Pack seals Brett's one-and-done fate in front of a weeping bandwagon Vikings crowd.

Last edited:
Packers 35, Cards 21: Green Bay is rollin'... and this sets up Farvapalooza III at the Metrodome, and hopefully sweet sweet justice this time round as the Pack seals Brett's one-and-done fate in front of a weeping bandwagon Vikings crowd.

That actually sounds like it would be VERY enjoyable to watch.

That actually sounds like it would be VERY enjoyable to watch.

Packers vs. Cards - with all the buzz over Cincy, Philly vs. Dallas, and of course, your team, noone, I mean NOONE is talking about this game, and it happens to be the last of the bunch to be played as well.

IMHO - the Packers showed their entire hand, while Wisnehunt played it smart and showed absolutely nothing. The Packers are going to be in for a rude awakening come Sun evening. Remember last year noone gave the Cards a chance against the favored Falcons, but they came out winners nonetheless.

As for the Vikings - their problems have been outdoors, on grass, AND in cold freezing weather, while their record playing indoors on artificial grass is 10-0. The next time they'll be playing outdoors is...in Miami? Which is the Super Bowl? And the weather is nice and warm there? This is assuming they get there, but pt being that the Vikings are awfully dangerous and more suited to the indoor conditions - assuming they get to the NFCCG, they'll either play at home again, or in the Superdome against a struggling Saints team.

Bengals 27, Jets 17: Bengals clearly were disinterested last week, Jets will take a while catching up to speed after not having to play a team that was trying for 6 quarters. The Sanchize will find a way to lose it.

Pats 24, Ravens 20: Close game will be won in the 4th-- a little of that ol' familiar Brady magic.

Eagles 30, Cowboys 17: Fly Eagles Fly! Last week was an aberration-- I don't buy that the Eagles laid down last week, they had a first round bye on the line had they won-- but they'll make thr adjustments this week and Romo will choke.

Excellent analysis. The Bengals are getting dissed by all the commentators when the Jets are the team that was led up the aisle by the father of the bride when the Colts and Bengals sat their key guys and played vanilla, non-aggressive football. The Jets lose with fewer points - I don't see Sanchez putting up 17 - the defense will have to do the scoring.

I don't get the Eagles. Almost like they had to get a bad game out of their system before the playoffs. Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb know how to win this time of year so I agree with 30-17 Eagles.

The only game I think will be different is the Cardinals - Packers. Whisenhunt is a great coach and the Cards have so many athletic players from years of drafting near the top that I think they surprise the Packers in a low-scoring game. Good show.

Not at all - even Rodney Harrison is pretty adament about the Eagles winning, and he gives alot of good points.

Also - Reid has never lost an opening playoff game, while Phillips is goosegg in the playoffs.

I refuse to watch PMSNBC's pre-game, half-time or post-game shows, so what reasons did Rodney give for an Eagles' win?

Reid's undefeated 1st-round record, and SonofaBum's non-winning record, was Then.
Philly's struggles at LB & OL, and Dallas' 2-headed pass-rush & run-game, is Now.

My picks:
Murderers(allegedly)
J-E-S-T
Cowbums
Packers

Here are the picks from some of the media.

ESPN 'Experts'
  • Eric Allen: Jets, Cowboys, Ravens, Packers
  • Mike Golic: Jets, Cowboys, Pats, Packers
  • Merril Hoge: Bengals, Cowboys, Ravens, Packers
  • Ron Jaworski: Bengals, Eagles, Pats, Packers
  • Chris Mortensen: Jets, Cowboys, Pats, Packers
  • Adam Schefter: Bengals, Cowboys, Pats, Packers
  • Mark Schlereth: Jets, Cowboys, Pats, Packers
  • Seth Wickersham: Bengals, Cowboys, Ravens, Packers
  • Accuscore game simulation: Bengals, Cowboys, Pats, Packers
  • SportsNation (espn fans): Bengals, Pats, Packers
  • Total: Bengals 6-4; Cowboys 8-2; Pats 7-3; Packers 10-0
ESPN 'Sunday Countdown' crew of Mike Ditka, Keyshawn Johnson, Cris Carter and Tom Jackson all went with the Jets over the Bengals and Cowboys over Eagles. Ditka was the only one to pick the Ravens, and Carter was the only one to pick Arizona.

ESPN also ran Madden game simulations, and came up with these scores:
  • Bengals 27, Jets 20
  • Eagles 30, Cowboys 27
  • Patriots 31, Ravens 17
  • Cardinals 34, Packers 31
Sports Illustrated has the Pats either losing Sunday, or next week at San Diego.
  • Peter King: Jets, Pats, Packers, Cowboys. SB: Dallas over San Diego
  • Don Banks: Jets, Pats, Packers, Cowboys. SB: San Diego over Green Bay
  • Jim Trotter: Jets, Ravens, Packers, Eagles. SB: San Diego over Green Bay
  • Ross Tucker: Jets, Ravens, Packers, Eagles. SB: San Diego over Green Bay
  • Damon Hack: Bengals, Pats, Packers, Cowboys. SB: Indy over Dallas
  • Tim Layden: Jets, Pats, Packers, Cowboys. SB: San Diego over New Orleans
  • Kerry Byrne: Jets, Pats, Packers, Eagles. SB: Green Bay over San Diego
  • Andrew Perloff: Jets, Pats, Packers, Cowboys. SB: San Diego over New Orleans
  • Dominic Bonvissuto: Bengals, Pats, Packers, Cowboys. SB: San Diego over Green Bay
Sporting News is more split with their picks.
  • Vinnie Iyer: Jets, Cowboys, Ravens, Packers
  • Steve Greenberg: Jets, Cowboys, Ravens, Packers
  • Clifton Brown: Bengals, Eagles, Ravens, Cardinals
  • Todd Wright: Jets, Cowboys, Patriots, Packers
  • Real Scouts: Bengals, Eagles, Patriots, Cardinals
  • Russ Lande: Bengals, Eagles, Patriots, Cardinals
  • Dennis Dillon: Jets, Eagles, Patriots, Packers
  • Totals: Jets 4-3; Eagles 4-3; Patriots 4-3; Packers 4-3

Last edited:
I guess others didn't find this as interesting as me.

OK, well I don't know the status of the Bengals injuries--how they'll affect them. But the Bengals and Jets seem to be pretty similar teams. Not a lot of scoring going on in this one, should be close. But Cincy's at home and they've got Carson Palmer vs. Sanchez, who can't do much of anything yet. Bengals win a close one.

On the Pats, I'm allowing myself to feel a little more optimistic, because I think the offensive line is ready to dominate in the playoffs. If they do, then this team can hang with anybody. They'll beat Baltimore at home.

AZ-Green Bay, I'm a little puzzled by both these teams. Whatever I pick will probably be wrong. Green Bay's been playing well, so why don't I trust them? I think maybe I'm still bugged by how they let Favre beat 'em up twice already this season. I'd have to say the Cardinals.

Philly-Dallas, I'm a little biased here because I hate Wade Phillips and want him to keep losing, but Philly IS a tough out in the playoffs usually. I'll pick the Eagles, without much confidence though.

Not to blow my own horn, but you see how I nailed that Packers-Cardinals game here? It's like a have a crystal ball. Damn I'm good.

What do I win for all 4 picks? Perhaps I don't want to know :cool:

What do I win for all 4 picks? Perhaps I don't want to know :cool:

A party catered by Burger King for your coach for getting the Jets in the playoffs. Unfortunately, he'll be the first one there and by the time the rest of the guests arrive, there won't be any food left. :cool:

A party catered by Burger King for your coach for getting the Jets in the playoffs. Unfortunately, he'll be the first one there and by the time the rest of the guests arrive, there won't be any food left. :cool:

Post of the Day candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye