Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 12:00 a.m. EDT, July 10, 2006
JASON TAYLOR'S WIFE FILES FOR DIVORCE

In a development that could create a strange dynamic in the Miami Dolphins' locker room during the 2006 season, Greg Bedard of the Palm Beach Post reports that the wife of defensive end Jason Taylor has filed for divorce. Taylor's wife is also the sister of Dolphins middle linebacker Zach Thomas.

Bedard reports that Taylor has not responded to his wife's petition for divorce. Citing unnamed sources, Bedard also reports that the Taylors are attempting to reconcile. The couple has three young children.

"My wife and I love each other very much and with our focus being on our children, we would like to keep this as a personal matter," Jason Taylor said in a statement. "We appreciate everyone's respect for our privacy."

Thomas and Taylor have been teammates since 1997. Thomas is under contract through 2008, and Taylor through 2009.

It's got the potential to be a huge mess, in our view, if the Taylors can't reconcile and if the proceedings become contentious.

Think of it this way -- how awkward would it be this season in the Giants' locker room if Michael Strahan's estranged wife had a brother on the team?

Certainly an interesting twist to the story. Wonder how it wil affect the Dolphins.

Last edited:
Re: Jason Taylor files for divorce from wife - also Z. Thomas' sister

pats1 said:

[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

Certainly an interesting twist to the story. Wonder how it wil affect the Dolphins.

JT just came out and said they were trying to reconcile. ZT and JT are the two most competative guys on the team. I don't think it will effect their play...

Blood is generally thicker than water, but man-love is a pretty powerful emotion too, especially in a teamate setting. It will depend on whether or not they go through with a divorce and if it becomes contentious. Some people do split amicably and brothers-in-law get to remain buds. But there is also the matter of what effect this has on him emotionally and whether his mental focus on football is effected. Tough to work a reconciliation around two a days too. Some say the toll his (albeit self inflicted) split took on Keith Foulke had as much to do with his losing his edge as a closer as his nagging knee problems or ability to deal with them in the aftermath did. We all react differently. Strahan strikes me as a pretty self absorbed guy, while Taylor has always seemed to be more the thoughtful and grounded superstar. But if that's the case his divorce under any circumstances could take a bigger toll. I get the feeling Strahan has moved on and is just intent on hanging on to his money.

pats1 said:

[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

I doubt it will have any effect. Taylor and Thomas are level-headed, high-class guys.

The biggest effect I can see is having a zillion moronic reporters asking players the same stupid questions over and over until they get tired of it. Maybe a Miami TV station can send a helicopter over Taylor's house like that Boston station did over Bruschi's house. All the fuss will just make the players band together with an it's-just-us-against-the-world attitude.

I appreciate Profootballtalk, but I don't think that this is any of their (or our) business.

Mike the Brit said:
I appreciate Profootballtalk, but I don't think that this is any of their (or our) business.

Here's the original article:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2006/07/10/a2c_bedard_0710.html

spacecrime said:
I doubt it will have any effect. Taylor and Thomas are level-headed, high-class guys.

I agree, and don't think it will have too much of an effect.

Last edited:
I don't believe this will amount to anything at all. I really think Pepper's rehab will be the biggest deal and stuff like this won't be a blip on the radar.

these guys have played long enough to seperate on-field and off-field issues. Plus from a football stand point they are both class guys so i dont see their play being affected.

MoLewisrocks said:
Blood is generally thicker than water, but man-love is a pretty powerful emotion too, especially in a teamate setting. It will depend on whether or not they go through with a divorce and if it becomes contentious. Some people do split amicably and brothers-in-law get to remain buds. But there is also the matter of what effect this has on him emotionally and whether his mental focus on football is effected. Tough to work a reconciliation around two a days too. Some say the toll his (albeit self inflicted) split took on Keith Foulke had as much to do with his losing his edge as a closer as his nagging knee problems or ability to deal with them in the aftermath did. We all react differently. Strahan strikes me as a pretty self absorbed guy, while Taylor has always seemed to be more the thoughtful and grounded superstar. But if that's the case his divorce under any circumstances could take a bigger toll. I get the feeling Strahan has moved on and is just intent on hanging on to his money.

See, what we aren't being told is this really is all about Strahan moving in on Zack's first love, Jason. As for Foulke's nagging knee problems, once again - it's all Strahans fault!!

Mike the Brit said:

Bingo!

I know that it is a public record and the news media have the right to report it. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should.

We don't know, or should we,at this point what is going on between them. We also don't know what Zack's relationship is with his sister.

IMO, this is a non-football story at this point.

If true, it's probably a little too early to tell how this might affect the locker room chemistry.

Mike Florio does a remarkable job, but I think he overstepped his bounds here. This is not a case of a celebrity who lives his family life in public. Taylor's only statement was a request to respect his privacy. Wild public speculation about the possible nature of a possible future divorce and its possible impact on your relationship with your brother-in-law is NOT football news. It comes across like Florio is smacking his lips, hoping for the acrimonious breakup of a family.

patchick said:
Mike Florio does a remarkable job, but I think he overstepped his bounds here. This is not a case of a celebrity who lives his family life in public. Taylor's only statement was a request to respect his privacy. Wild public speculation about the possible nature of a possible future divorce and its possible impact on your relationship with your brother-in-law is NOT football news. It comes across like Florio is smacking his lips, hoping for the acrimonious breakup of a family.

Again, it was originally reported by a Florida newspaper. Don't kill the messenger (Florio). He's just throwing it out there, and he's completely free to do that.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Again, it was originally reported by a Florida newspaper. Don't kill the messenger (Florio). He's just throwing it out there, and he's completely free to do that.

But read the newspaper article, then read Florio's piece. Apples and oranges. The newspaper just quietly reported the facts, with the Taylors' request for privacy and no nasty speculation at all. Should have been one of Florio's one-line snippets.

patchick said:
But read the newspaper article, then read Florio's piece. Apples and oranges. The newspaper just quietly reported the facts, with the Taylors' request for privacy and no nasty speculation at all. Should have been one of Florio's one-line snippets.

I really don't think it's nasty speculation. As any good journalist/reporter/analyst would do, he's taking the situation and then offering up any possible implicatons.

Here are the only lines which give any sort of speculation:

It's got the potential to be a huge mess, in our view, if the Taylors can't reconcile and if the proceedings become contentious.

Think of it this way -- how awkward would it be this season in the Giants' locker room if Michael Strahan's estranged wife had a brother on the team?

It has the potential to be a mess. He's not attacking either party, nor saying the situation is currently that way. Florio didn't dig up this scoop. It was the newspaper who dug it up, the newspaper who put it as a headline on their website.

Taylor may have asked for privacy, but you can't tell me that top-tier NFL players like Taylor or Thomas (or Brady, etc.) aren't celebrities and aren't in the public spotlight. If Taylor was just divorcing his wife, it would be different. But there's that interesting twist - the RELATIONSHIP with Thomas.

And we all know how much the media loves relationships.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
I really don't think it's nasty speculation. As any good journalist/reporter/analyst would do, he's taking the situation and then offering up any possible implicatons.

I see your point, and it's possible I'm overreacting. But I really don't think it's what any good journalist would do in this situation.

Remember, Florio's whole shtick is that he's not a journalist. He makes his living by saying and doing things that real journalists can't do, like printing unverified rumors and calling players nasty names. Usually his name-calling is directed at players' misdeeds on and off the field, and so it's taken as "straight shooting" and "telling it like it is" -- there's an assumption that Santonio Holmes, Kellen Winslow et all have it coming to them. And usually, as well, there's a plausible football impact to all the speculation.

But here we have a case where nobody's accused of doing anything wrong, and any football relevance is about five levels of hypotheticals away. If the story were that, say, marital troubles were distracting a player or causing him to mis off-season workouts, fine. But in this case you have a non-story of a couple that's trying to work out a rift, period. Florio doesn't claim to know anything more than that but manufactures a "controversy" out of his own imagination. At best, that's tabloid-style journalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back