PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receivers ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This was a preseason game, a time to test receivers, a time for free agents and others to step up. Exactly one receiver got open past the line of scrimmage, Big Ben II.

LET's REVIEW
---------------

BRANCH - We should only discuss players who want to play for the patriots.

JACKSON - We only discuss players who are here. We can hope that Jackson can be a contributer for the stretch run or the playoffs, perhaps as early as Game 6, after the bye.

CALDWELL - Well, I guess he replaces Davis.

CHILDRESS - He did play. Did he ever get open? Did he even return punts or kicks?

TROY BROWN - He's fine for a seasoned vet, but he really shouldn't be starting.

THE REST COMPETING FOR A SPOT PLAYED ON OTHER CHANNELS THIS WEEK
No one else from our squad is remotely ready for the NFL, so I guess we will need to look to other squads.

mgteich said:
JACKSON - We only discuss players who are here. We can hope that Jackson can be a contributer for the stretch run or the playoffs, perhaps as early as Game 6, after the bye.
This is ridiculous that you think Caldwell might be ready to play by the playoffs. Thats just lunacy.

??????????

SeanBruschi54 said:
This is ridiculous that you think Caldwell might be ready to play by the playoffs. Thats just lunacy.

Big Ben II? :eek: Bad mg, no more Sherlock Holmes stories if you can't do better than that!

Reportedly, there were no WRs beyond Brown and Caldwell used in the 1st half? I did inquire in the chatroom and was told that. Watson and Faulk both were used in 3 & 4 wide situations.

Childress is reported to have made a couple catches for Cassel, one of which he had a nice RAC on.

I think saw it noted once that Stone was in at one point, certainly he needs a little time to get back in the flow before we can get a decent read.

I still like Musinski, I'd like to see him get some reps with Tommy. (And no, I don't recall his name being called tonight.)

[edit] Heh, nm.

I'm disappointed with Reche. It's all been laid out for him this pre-season. Tom has been sharp, the o-line is healthy and playing well, the backs are healthy and running well, and he's had no Deion or even Chad Jackson to take any of his reps, and yet he's still managed to show nothing this preseason. Not a good omen, imo.

Last edited:
It is very frustrating how Caldwell looks great in practice but then disappears in games.

I saw Stone.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Big Ben II? :eek: Bad mg, no more Sherlock Holmes stories if you can't do better than that!

Reportedly, there were no WRs beyond Brown and Caldwell used in the 1st half? I did inquire in the chatroom and was told that. Watson and Faulk both were used in 3 & 4 wide situations.

Childress is reported to have made a couple catches for Cassel, one of which he had a nice RAC on.

I think saw it noted once that Stone was in at one point, certainly he needs a little time to get back in the flow before we can get a decent read.

I still like Musinski, I'd like to see him get some reps with Tommy. (And no, I don't recall his name being called tonight.)

Why isn't Ben Watson the second Big Ben, the first being Big Ben Coates? Watson and Faulk were used because they are our #3 and #4 receivers, after Brown and Caldwell. Caldwell may move down on the depth chart after last night.

I think that Stone still has a chance to beat out Childress.

Box_O_Rocks said:

mgteich said:
Why isn't Ben Watson the second Big Ben, the first being Big Ben Coates? Watson and Faulk were used because they are our #3 and #4 receivers, after Brown and Caldwell. Caldwell may move down on the depth chart after last night.

I think that Stone still has a chance to beat out Childress.
Ben Coates? Well, that wouldn't be so bad, at least you didn't mean Big Benny in Pittsburgh. Still, I think you could have put more effort into a fan nickname, you can't wait for the reporters come up with the goods! :D

I agree that Watson and Faulk are better receivers for this offense than most of the WR candidates. I still want to see Brady working further with Childress, Stone, and my favorite Musinski. Then again, it occurs to me I should ask if Watson and Faulk were better options game planning for the Redskins' defense?

I didn't say "be ready to play by the playoffs".

My point is that I hope that Jackson is ready to "contribute" by the stretch run or at least by the playoffs. Why is this lunacy for an injured rookie wide receiver?

SeanBruschi54 said:
This is ridiculous that you think Jackson might be ready to play by the playoffs. Thats just lunacy.

I don't listen to the experts. I just don't have your optimism for the play of our wide receivers. The offense will be fine, even if Watson is our slot receiver and Faulk is the #4 receiver.

I jsut would be a lot happier with two legitimate starting receivers, which we don't have now. Knowing bb, we will have a decent set of receivers by the bye. We just don't know who will be a lot more productive than tonight.

BRANCH might sign, and might not, and might be healthy and a contributer in the playoffs or not.

I agree that JACKSON will be eventually be an outstanding receiver. How soon do you want to bring back your #1 receiver for the next five years after a hammy. Do you want to rush him back? I want him for the home stretch and the playoffs.

Ben Watson is the return of Ben Coates. That's great, but we still need wide receivers.

Troy Brown will be OK this year.

Caldwell has a history of dropping passes, especially when it counts.

Childress could get beat out by Stone or a waiver wire player.

NEM said:
You guys are really underestimating, and underrating our WR's.

Jackson will play soon, and he wil be anoutstanding WR.

Branch will sign.

But even so, as Imentioned a couple of times, Ben Watson gives us a TE with WR capabilities, and he knows how to get open, to hold on to the ball, and to pick up the yardage after catch.

Troy Brown is amongs the best at knowing where to be, and when to be there, and still makes the hard catches.

Bam Childress is not spectacular but has shown good hands, rarely drops the ball, and also has unique ability to find open spots.

Dont be so down on Caldwell, he will improve and he has shown that he can get open....

And, with a Tom Brady running the show, not to worry.... Brady makes good wide receivers better, and he makes the better wide receivers great.

Did I mention Graham???? Dont forget him....either.

Yo guys are reading too much into what the so called experts are saying, and they really dont know diddly squat.

mgteich said:
I saw Stone.

Interestingly, Stone was often in as part of our goal line offense, even in the first half!

SeanBruschi54 said:
I meant Jackson.

I could see where you might get confused. Jackson and Caldwell have caught roughly the same number of passes in pre-season games.

mgteich said:
I don't listen to the experts. I just don't have your optimism for the play of our wide receivers. The offense will be fine, even if Watson is our slot receiver and Faulk is the #4 receiver.

I jsut would be a lot happier with two legitimate starting receivers, which we don't have now. Knowing bb, we will have a decent set of receivers by the bye. We just don't know who will be a lot more productive than tonight.

BRANCH might sign, and might not, and might be healthy and a contributer in the playoffs or not.

I agree that JACKSON will be eventually be an outstanding receiver. How soon do you want to bring back your #1 receiver for the next five years after a hammy. Do you want to rush him back? I want him for the home stretch and the playoffs.

Ben Watson is the return of Ben Coates. That's great, but we still need wide receivers.

Troy Brown will be OK this year.

Nem is correct here.
Cadwell wasn't brought in with an expectation to be the #1 WR.
Branch will PROBABLY come back 90% chance (for all the games).
When Jackson gets on the field also that will stretch defenses more.
That would make all the WRs better.
Bottom line in Preseason we beat 2 teams 74-3 and we haven't put forth our best team yet.

Last edited:
If we use the BB method and only talk about the players on the field then it could easily be said that we desperately need a quality WR. At some point sending RB's and TE's wide out isn't going to work as teams start to plan against us using that strategy. If teams shut down Watson, passing could become difficult. WRs get such big money because they almost can't be covered regardless of the defense. We need some of that downfield danger to keep the running lanes open and slow down the blitzes. As it stands presently Caldwell is nearly invisible and it would be dangerous to go into the season relying on Brown to be your main WR threat.

Brady is a megastar and not providing him with real weapons make little sense since the team wouldn't be fully utilizing its resources. Add Branch and Jackson to this squad and the Pats could vie to lead the league scoring, but those two aren't playing and we don't have any idea of how close they are to returning. So we can only go on what we see and that is this team needs a a threat at WR to fulfill is abilities and become extremely difficult to defense.

Last edited:
mgteich, a little negative for you. Childress played and made a couple good catches. Troy Brown looks like 4 years ago.

I didn't even see Musinski or Stone in there. Kight was in but not thrown to.

Brown, Jackson, Caldwell, Childress and a player to be named later, that will work for me.

The lack of top line NFL caliber WRs is a big concern. With Brady looking at his 2nd & 3rd options he takes a lot more hits. The O Line did a nice job last night but the extra time it takes in the check downs result in additional hits on the QB as he throws.

There may be a silver lining in that the offense is learning additional variety and will have a large selections of schemes to choose from depending on the coverages presented. In the end I would like to see Branch & Jackson at the top, Brown and Caldwell in the sub packages and an additional veteran brought in for the 5th spot (ideally someone with experience in returning kicks and \ or punts, I don't want to use Maroney all season as the KR because I think he is going to get 17 - 22 touches running the ball.)

With the offense clicking it really helps the defense, scoring first and then extending leads forces the other team play change up and modify their game plan. This was the formula for success in 2004 and should work in a similar manner this year. This strategy requires some top line receivers, if left as-is teams will adjust to defend the TEs and Brady will end up getting killed with all the check downs.

Go Pats, less than 2 weeks to kick-off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back