Wide Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Please assess our NEED for a WR early.

Obviously, we will look at value, and obviously we will look at wide receivers in the late rounds, as we always do.

It seems that we are in much better shape than we were yesterday. As I consider it, we decided on Holt instead of Branch (a fine decision) as an a one-year fix.

WE HAVE
Moss
Holt
Edelman/Welker (slot)
Tate
Stanback/Patten

FOR 2011 WE HAVE
Edelman
Tate
Welker (slot)
a veteran (Holt, Moss or a 2011 signee)

1st or 2nd round WR wouldn't bother me.

Obviously, we will look at value, and obviously we will look at wide receivers in the late rounds, as we always do.

It seems that we are in much better shape than we were yesterday. As I consider it, we decided on Holt instead of Branch (a fine decision) as an a one-year fix.

WE HAVE
Moss
Holt
Edelman/Welker (slot)
Tate
Stanback/Patten

FOR 2011 WE HAVE
Edelman
Tate
Welker (slot)

Holt's signing makes it less critical to bring someone in that contributes. However, I don't think it will deeply affect how the Patriots view the WR spot in the draft.

Maybe they take another position if the two players are dead even but I don't see them passing up one of their main targets because of Holt.

WE HAVE
Moss
Holt
Edelman/Welker (slot)
Tate
Stanback/Patten

FOR 2011 WE HAVE
Edelman
Tate
Welker (slot)

There simply aren't any in this draft. Only Dez is talented enough to use a #1 on, and he is a headcase, waiting to happen. Wait until next year.

hopefully we can use a 4th or 5th for marty gilyard. but with the holt signing as others have said above there is a less need to draft a WR early.

Grab Carlton Mitchell or Benn in the second round and call it a day on Wide Receivers. Maybe pick up a project in the 6th/7th round. I don't think players like Tate, Gilyard will help us much.

The only wide receivers that I would see as great helps in 2010 are Bryant and Thomas. Now, we don't have the need. I think that the 2nd round is expensive for a developmental receiver.

This takes pressure off to use a higher draft choice. I think Mardy Gilyard, Andre Roberts or Taylor Price are still possibilities.

Before the Holt signing, I was strongly in favor of the Pats concentrating on picking up a couple solid #3/#4 guys (simply good route-runners with good hands, even if not so speedy or tall) in the mid to late rounds, and avoid taking a risk with a 2st or 2nd round pick on some one who might be great or might be another Chad Jackson/Bethel Johnson. I still think the Pats should grab an Andre Roberts or a Blair White type later, but with Holt on board, I think they can now afford to take a flyer on Bryant, Golden Tate or Damian Williams early. Not saying they will or should, just that it opens the possibility a bit more by reducing the risk to the 2010 season somewhat.

FOR 2011 WE HAVE
Edelman
Tate
Welker (slot)

A simple plan is to draft two WRs this draft - one early and one late. Personally, I'd avoid round one for any skill positions. In R2 draft the most NFL-ready receiver who fits best, then a developmental prospect later on.

This would give NE two rookies plus Edelman and Tate as youngsters to develop toward 2011, in the hope that three of them will contribute this season.

Forget about Moss's departure after this season. The development of the above four, along with a possible 2011 draftee, and a possible veteran acquisition, will be enough to fill out the WR corps. I'm not concerned at all -- especially if the NFL-ready rook is a good one. :popcorn:

I think RB will be used on one of the three seconds now. I say draft a WR in the 4th and one in the late rounds and let those two battle it out for a roster spot.

If we didn't draft any WRs, that is still a great WR core.

I see two possibilities for the draft.

OLB, DE, RB, TE

OLB, DE, CB, RB

I'd prefer #2.

Last edited:
I say grab Golden Tate if he is available at 44. He played for Charlie Weis at Notre Dame so would have at least a little familiarity with the Patriot way. He can make plays after he catches the ball and that is something that the Patriots have lacked since Stallworth left.

I say grab Golden Tate if he is available at 44. He played for Charlie Weis at Notre Dame so would have at least a little familiarity with the Patriot way. He can make plays after he catches the ball and that is something that the Patriots have lacked since Stallworth left.

I still don't get that. The Pats offensive scheme changed radically in 2007 and doesn't resemble what Weis ran in NE in the slightest. Tate has zero advantage for having played under Weis.

A simple plan is to draft two WRs this draft - one early and one late. Personally, I'd avoid round one for any skill positions. In R2 draft the most NFL-ready receiver who fits best, then a developmental prospect later on.

This would give NE two rookies plus Edelman and Tate as youngsters to develop toward 2011, in the hope that three of them will contribute this season.

Forget about Moss's departure after this season. The development of the above four, along with a possible 2011 draftee, and a possible veteran acquisition, will be enough to fill out the WR corps. I'm not concerned at all -- especially if the NFL-ready rook is a good one. :popcorn:

I sort of see it in reverse, I guess. I see the "high upside" guys like Bryant as the ones who'll need time to develop (and will be spectacular if they do). The later-round guys like Roberts or White, the guys who are already accomplished route-runners but not as fast or athletic, are the guys who'll likely make a more immediate contribution as competent #3/#4 WRs (something we didn't have last season), though that's all they may ever be.

Well the guy is my main binkie in the draft but I think he has a lot to offer.

I'd agree with thats its a bonus that he played for Charlie Weis but again like so many guys that BB likes his verstility is what makes him for me. He played RB and has some blocking skills, not superb but that can be worked on. That makes him an ideal third down back if needed there. He is also a real threat as a kick returner. He is an exceptional wideout imo, he has great hands, speed, can cut really sharp, is tough, and he can jump high too. Again though I just love watching the guy play so I'm maybe biased.

Thing is I just know we are going to use the Raiders pick on a WR next year so maybe thats why we brought in Holt and we are not going to take a WR.

With the addition of Holt, we can now sit back and take one of the middle round guys (Andre Roberts, Blair White or Eric Decker) and perhaps a project like Seyi Ajirotutu (Fresno St) or Alric Arnett (West Virginia).

Nobodys talking about Decker, but he WAS the Minnesota offense until he broke his foot. I read a report today that said Decker was one of the top 15 players in this draft! We shall see.

Predicting this vet WR move was kinda obvious. We have 2 pro bowlers, 2 up and coming rookies and now 2-3 JAG vets to fill in the holes. If Brady/Moss return to form its going to be kind of obvious Randy goes for an extension dont ya think? Finding #1 recievers in the draft is a crap shoot, and we gotta see what these 2 we got last year are all about. We have enough players to get past Welker's injury, lose one for the season in camp(except Moss and he isnt replacable anyways), and still field 3 decent guys. Getting a guy like Gresham could help the passing game too. I know he isnt the sexy pick, but if he had played all season the way he looked to be able to he would have been a top 10 pick and quite out of reach. Wait til next year on the skill positions, once the labor situation is settled.

hopefully we can use a 4th or 5th for marty gilyard. but with the holt signing as others have said above there is a less need to draft a WR early.

Don't see Gilyard slipping that far. Emmanuel Sanders on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back