PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receiver thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaffney back when healthy, Branch shadow roster (or possibly nudge-wink deal to be coming back once other team's 53's are filled or so that we can get someone to IR without waiving them), Ebert to PS.

Amazing that all of these WR are getting cut and that bum Edeljerk is still here. :p

Both Welker & Lloyd have missed practices due to injury this camp. If that happens in the season, you have Brady throwing to Slater & Edelman, both players being backed up by no one.

If Patriot fans aren't at least curious as to what he overall plan at the position is, I think we're being a little overly optimistic.
When it comes to backups you have to expect some question marks. This is the case at WR as it is for any other spot on the team. Is Edelman the ideal backup wideout to have? Not likely but he's no more of a ? than say Wilson is at safety or Cannon is at OT or Mallett is at QB or pick most of your roster positions.

If anything, I am more comfortable with the wideout spot than any other spot on the team as I expect the Pats will have Brach and/or Gaffney on speed dial should they become needed.

So Ebert is now cut. Probably to the Ps if he clears waivers. Am I missing something here? We went from a massive wr battle to cutting almost everyone. Is there a plan here? A big time trade in the works? I understand the whole 2WR 2 TE 1RB formation. But you still got to have depth. Don't you?

Wide receiver thoughts:

Welker
Lloyd

None left afterwards.

Maybe they're thinking of converting Demps to WR just to have an excuse for keeping 5 RBs on the roster.

So Ebert is now cut. Probably to the Ps if he clears waivers. Am I missing something here? We went from a massive wr battle to cutting almost everyone. Is there a plan here? A big time trade in the works? I understand the whole 2WR 2 TE 1RB formation. But you still got to have depth. Don't you?

I think the possibility definitely exists that one of Gaffney/Branch will be back after week one when the salaries are not guaranteed.

Other than that, we'll certainly make due with what we have, and are in a much better position overall than in some of the past years like 2006.

I doubt there'd be a 'big time trade' but one never knows with this team.

Other than that, we'll certainly make due with what we have, and are in a much better position overall than in some of the past years like 2006.
2006 New England Patriots wide receivers:

Reche Caldwell
Jabar Gaffney
Troy Brown
Chad Jackson
Doug Gabriel

Come on Supa! :eek:

Jackson and Gabriel were world class compared to Holley and Taylor! :D

Maybe they're thinking of converting Demps to WR just to have an excuse for keeping 5 RBs on the roster.

Why would they need an excuse for anything lol? Slater isn't really even a wide out so basically just Welker,Lloyd,and Edelman. Watch them announce next Lloyd is cut and Welker is traded.

Last edited:
Why would they need an excuse for anything lol? Slater isn't really even a wide out so basically just Welker,Lloyd,and Edelman. Watch them announce next Lloyd is cut and Welker is traded.

It's a devious personnel decision made by the genius of Belichick. Lloyd got cut because his salary was affecting the cap way too much (also why Hoyer was cut) and we're trading Welker to the Saints for Jimmy Graham.

Get ALL the tight ends!!

Welker, Lloyd, Edelman, Salas, Branch, Gaffney = best WR group in league;

Welker, Lloyd, Edelman, Salas, Slater = thinnest WR group in league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots