PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receiver - Should We Wait For Vets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say "stretch the field", I assume you mean "vertically," IOW, work the deep patterns. Even considering that the deep ball hasn't been Brady's strong suit the past couple years, I'd agree that we need more than one guy who can do that. Tate, although he's primarily a KR, seems reliable enough for one of those positions - 18.3 YPC on a 48% catch rate is comparable to most veteran deep guys. Price is really an unknown to everyone but the coaches.

But what we also need (IMHO) is someone who can stretch the field horizontally. We appear to have a surplus of guys who are excellent at working the short/intermediate zones between the numbers, but only one who's been fairly reliable working the short/intermediate sideline - Branch - and he's not young and also perhaps a bit fragile. Price COULD be the guy who steps into Branch's cleats (again, only the coaches would know) and Hernandez COULD expand his route repertoire.

If both those things seem likely to happen (in the view of the coaches), maybe we're not looking for WR at all (FA vet or draftee), although, typically, I think we'd see some form of camp competition from a late-round pick or a 2nd-tier (possibly older) FA vet, even in that case.

If, OTOH, neither Price nor Hernandez in the coaches' view) seems likely to step up as a sideline guy, maybe we're looking for a sideline/deep threat combo (e.g., Hankerson) or just a solid sideline possession guy later (e.g., Austin Pettis).

I was referring to a downfield threat but I'm always skeptical about how much any rookie WR can contribute to this offense. I see the point about stretching horizontally and hadn't considered it but wonder if it is that they don't have the players to execute it or that Brady doesn't like the throw because it has such high risk associated with it, miss and its a pick six.

They could surprise with a Titus Young or Gates but the WR talent in this draft doesn't seem to overwhelming to me. i will say i really don't know as much about the prospects in this draft as i have in previous years so to some degree i am simply generalizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back