PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receiver Breakouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
While WR and TE are two separate positions not to be confused, methinks BB has plans to use Watson as a possession receiver more in the WR mold than the TE role.

That is your WR depth complemented. Having said that, I'd like us to bring in another WR ... for depth.

spacecrime said:
We are better off with Branch-Jackson-Caldwell-Brown than we are with Branch-Jackson-Caldwell-Brown-Lelie

That's the right answer to the wrong question.

The point of WR depth is being prepared in case of injury or underperformance.

You really don't want to go into a season assuming the best case scenario that everyone stays healthy all season. This team has achieved success largely because of its excellent depth, and ability to plan for the worst case scenario.

So its not a question of whether we are better off with Branch-Jackson-Caldwell-Brown as opposed to Branch-Jackson-Caldwell-Brown-Lelie.

Its a question of whether we are better off with "Jackson-Caldwell-Brown" or "Lelie(or pick another Veteran)-Jackson-Caldwell-Brown" in case Branch goes down with an injury.

Even assuming all our current WRs are healthy, there's more "IF" to the WR corps than there is proven performance.

IF Branch can stay healthy. IF Jackson can buck the odds and step in as a #2 WR in his first season. IF Caldwell for once in his career can break 30 receptions. IF Bam Childress can continue the development and promise he showed last season. IF Troy Brown can continue his ironman routine and have as good a season as he did last year (of all of them, I'd put my money on Troy).

Adding a veteran WR to help better our odds if some of the IF scenarios might not go exactly as we hope seems like a good idea to me.

Last edited:
Tunescribe:

We may be getting caught up in word play here, but I think that Bioli has to 'expect' every starter on the team to get hurt at every position. That is what quality depth is for, because you 'expect' that several of your starters will miss games.

If Branch goes down, we have a sheer rookie, a really past his prime former #1, or a guy from the Chargers who has yet to be a decent #2. We cannot think that a tight end will cover the WR job either, unless one of our tight ends is going to take all his reps from now on at the WR position.

As to the original thread question, I believe that Stone might make the practice squad, Childress has a chance to make the roster unless we bring in a veteran, and the rest will be cut. Brutal but honest.

Regarding depth...my point may have been lost. BB and Pioli value horizontal depth (players playing multiple roles/positions) as much as vertical depth. Who's to say that can't work with a specimen like Watson being used in various possession wideout roles? It minimizes, but does not negate, our need for added WR help, no??

Watson was barely able to run his own rhoutes correctly last year, and was therefore out of position at times. This was something he wanted to work on, and something Brady demands of any player.

I just can't see Watson being a viable back up at all WR positions and all tight end positions.

I almost want to gaurentee that we WILL bring in a veteran, but of course, I can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back