PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why you may not be able to see Cowboys Packers tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give me a break, that's an Op Ed written by the head of NFL Network. In other words, it's exactly half true.

Is cable trying to shut out competition? Yup.

Is the NFL Network trying to do the same thing? You bet. This is a network that competes with the existing networks which currently carry games. They want to shut out the middle man and become their own broadcaster.

This is a fight between two giants, both interested in their profits. Us consumers - of both cable TV and the NFL's product - are put in the middle while one side tries to rile us up against the other. Neither side has our interest in mind.

Written by the unbiased CEO of NFL network who 'forgot' to mention that he charges Comcrap etc. a premium to carry his network.

The NFL vs. Big Cable is the ultimate greed olympics, but I think the cable folks are closer to the side of angels in this one. The NFL is doing the equivalent of taking hostages: "Broadcast our network on OUR terms or I'll shoot the fans!!!" They're using us as pawns, intentionally creating situations where we'll miss big games and be miserable in hopes of forcing a sweetheart business deal.

Most people have access to DirecTV or Dish Network, both of which carry NFL Network. Yes, some people live in apartments or condos where they absolutely CANNOT use a dish. Which is unfortunate. But short of those people, everyone can get a dish if they choose. At least where I live, neither of the Dish companies is more expensive than our local cable.

Do I love DirecTV ? No. I would prefer cable where I don't have to deal with a receiver per room, etc. I lose some capability, flexibity and simplicity with DirecTV. But the plusses (NFL Network, Sunday Ticket) outweigh the minuses - for me. Most people are simply making a choice. It's too bad that we all don't have a perfect option - but that's life.

I am so glad I have Comcast on my side - looking out for and protecting me the consumer.

I used to get the NFL network in my package. Comcast has since protected me from the evil NFL network which they said was going to force them to raise my cable rates.

They took the channel away from me and charged me the same amount. The same price for less programming which is not raising my rates I guess.

But if I want to pay a lot more a month, I can get the NFL Network back. Again this would not be raising my rates because I've now upgraded my subscription - you know upgraded to the package I used to have.

I don't know how I would survive if Comcast didn't look out for me.

Last edited:
I am so glad I have Comcast on my side - looking out for and protecting me the consumer.

I used to get the NFL network in my package. Comcast has since protected me from the evil NFL network which they said was going to force them to raise my cable rates.

They took the channel away from me and charged me the same amount. The same price for less programming which is not raising my rates I guess.

But if I want to pay a lot more a month, I can get the NFL Network back. Again this would not be raising my rates because I've now upgraded my subscription - you know upgraded to the package I used to have.

I don't know how I would survive if Comcast didn't look out for me.
The difference between what you're paying now, as opposed to what you paid before NFL Network went premium, would just be spread out among all cable subscribers, not just the ones who want NFL network. Obviously Comcast isn't going to cut into their profits to give you a good deal, the only options are to charge the people who use it, or spread it out to everyone. I'd rather just the people who use it pay for it.

Last edited:
Cable however has been screwing me longer so I'm all for NFLN holding their ground. The Cable giants have never had consumer interest at heart, and the basic and digital portions of my cable bill can attest to that. I don't mind paying the extra $8 bucks a month that is truly NFLN. I get way more enjoyment and quality programming from that 25 cents a day than I get from the buck and a half a day I pay for the drivel that unfortunately accompanies it.

I moved recently, switched cable companies, and I get NFL Network. I don't know how and I don't want to jinx it, all I know is, it shows up on my TV and I don't think I pay for it. Good stuff.

The difference between what you're paying now, as opposed to what you paid before NFL Network went premium, would just be spread out among all cable subscribers, not just the ones who want NFL network. Obviously Comcast isn't going to cut into their profits to give you a good deal, the only options are to charge the people who use it, or spread it out to everyone. I'd rather just the people who use it pay for it.

My basic cable bill has more than doubled since I first subscribed, and it had nothing to do with NFLN. Comcast hit me up for digital and first tier just to get something that on it's own represented at the time an additional $5.95/mo two years ago. Now it's another $7.95. And yet I stay with Comcast ONLY because I want my NFLN. If the idiots at Verizon or RCN which are also available here offered it, they might inherit my teltphone, internet and cable business since absent bundling they offer less expensive alternatives for those other services. Making it available grows a Cable companies base, and they make money on every base customer.

I only watch a half dozen stations on my TV. I wish cable wasn't lumping me in on all the Golf Channel and Tennis and Extreme Sports and NBA programming, but such is life.

Last edited:
The big irony/hypocrisy of that op-ed:

The NFL is decrying Comcast's despicable control of both the content and distribution...when the NFLN's whole reason for existence is for the league to control both content and distribution.

A pox on both their houses; I'm taking the kids to a play tonight.

It is very rare I will side with a cable company, but on this issue the NFL is clearly the eviler of the two. NFL demands much more money to be carried than other niche markets.

And want to talk about monopolies. The NFL network is owned by the NFL. The golf channel is not owned by the PGA. And you can watch most major golf tournaments without buying the golf channel.

Until the NFL ends the exclusivity of only allowing directv to carry out of market games, the NFL's claims about fairness are bogus.

My basic cable bill has more than doubled since I first subscribed, and it had nothing to do with NFLN. Comcast hit me up for digital and first tier just to get something that on it's own represented at the time an additional $5.95/mo two years ago. Now it's another $7.95. And yet I stay with Comcast ONLY because I want my NFLN. If the idiots at Verizon or RCN which are also available here offered it, they might inherit my teltphone, internet and cable business since absent bundling they offer less expensive alternatives for those other services. Making it available grows a Cable companies base, and they make money on every base customer.

I just switched to RCN, and as I said, I now get NFLN, I guess it's part of my package though I can't remember actually seeing that when I signed up. And FYI I got a package deal with internet for less than Comcast. Of course, RCN has already had outages in my area in one week of being there, both in cable and net, so I'm not giving it ringing endorsements yet.

I would like to select what channels I get rather than Comcast deciding what I can watch and charge me for it. I rarely watch 80 percent of the swill they broadcast as part of the package I am currently getting.

Just give me a list of channels and a price for each and let me check off what I want to watch.

Until the NFL ends the exclusivity of only allowing directv to carry out of market games, the NFL's claims about fairness are bogus.

Amen. Both sides have the right to try to make as much money as possible, but the self-righteous posturing from the NFLN exec who just wants his lucrative monopoly for the sake of fairness and America...ugh.

I would like to select what channels I get rather than Comcast deciding what I can watch and charge me for it. I rarely watch 80 percent of the swill they broadcast as part of the package I am currently getting.

Just give me a list of channels and a price for each and let me check off what I want to watch.

So true. Apparently a recent ruling is going to help achieve this and lower cable prices...so I read, I'll believe it when it happens.

That's the dream for sure. Oddly, it's one dream that the cable carriers and networks would unite against. Remember that the NFL's whole complaint is that they want their network on the basic tier rather than the sports tier, which is what EVERY network desperately wants.

I have to assume that 99% of people don't want the vast majority of possible cable channels. (In fact, anybody who is firmly devoted to 200 different channels probably needs professional help.) But the economics of the industry depend on us paying whether we watch or not. Someday, maybe...

Now it's another $7.95. And yet I stay with Comcast ONLY because I want my NFLN. If the idiots at Verizon or RCN which are also available here offered it, they might inherit my teltphone, internet and cable business since absent bundling they offer less expensive alternatives for those other services.

I don't know where you are, but I just switched from Comcast to Verizon TV as part of a bundle. It's significantly cheaper (the total Phone+Net+TV package is cheaper than Comcast's Net+TV without phone) and NFLN is part of the standard package. I am sure Verizon will do something to get me mad, they always do, but Comcast has been worse and I was happy to get away.

There are a million channels on the basic tier that I don't want, yet I'm stuck paying for them (e.g. Lifetime). Of course, the channels I do want cost extra.

They should just do a la carte.

Anyway, is there a Sopcast channel for the game?

Eff the legalities!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey