PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why wouldnt we just offer one year to stallworth??

Status
Not open for further replies.

notex

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
If this is really a one-year deal...why woulndt we just offer it to him that way??i thought he wanted to play here, why would he leave to go somewhere else after that, the last 5 years are alott of money too, why would we offer it if we didnt really want to pay it???

I get it but it seems the offer is a little ambiguous ...anyone?

If this is really a one-year deal...why woulndt we just offer it to him that way??i thought he wanted to play here, why would he leave to go somewhere else after that, the last 5 years are alott of money too, why would we offer it if we didnt really want to pay it???

I believe it was PFT that suggested that the player didn't want to be subject to a potential franchise tag.

Because if he's really good, we get to keep him for relatively cheap rather than letting him reap huge bucks on the FA market next year. Have you read the articles?

Think of it sort of like a RFA. We could cut him at any point and not pay the bills after year 1 but before the bonuses in year 2, but until we do we have the exclusive rights to negotiate a contract with him. Just because the year 2 contract has been written doesn't mean it wouldn't be reworked later if their is a mutual feeling of keeping Donte on board. Had it been just a one year deal we are no different then any other team and likely only stand out as the team who offers the least $.

Not to mention the numbers look good in a headline and that's all that Drew Rozenshontzamagig wants.

This is a one year deal with a 5 year team option. What team wouldn't want to have the rights to a player after one year? Should Stallworth put up the type of numbers that we think he can, at 26-27 years old , he can't leave, nor can he demand more money we haven't already agreed to. I love the deal.

You are asking the wrong question.

The question is: Why would Stallworth agree to the multiyear deal (essentially giving us an option on his future services), when he could have gotten a one year deal for essentially the same terms?

The answer is: He feared the franchise tag. This deal essentially replaces the possibility of a franchise tag at the end of the year with a prenegotiated five year deal containing TONS of guaranteed money.

Unfortunately, we also lose the compensatory pick that would would have gotten in 2009 if somebody signed away Stallworth in 2008.

If he works out like we expect, that would have been a third rounder.

Last edited:
Ditto what most have been saying. This is truly a one-year deal with a five-year option. If Stallworth proves his worth during 2007, the remaining 5 years are fine for a receiver of that caliber. He's definitely got incentive with this deal to prove his worth. Win-win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back