PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why were you guys rooting against the Cowboys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Seriously-I'm not a mind reader or anything, but from my own perceptions, it seems like everyone in the national sports media, as well as Pats fans(in general) seemed to think Dallas gave the Pats the WORST possible matchup. Being a longtime fan of the boys, here's why I'm perplexed:

1. While we have pass rushers in Ware/Ellis/Spencer on the edges that give fits to the opposing QB, our INSIDE pass rush et al is SOFT(even Tank's presence hasn't been much of an upgrade, and yes, Jason Ferguson was MISSED this season).

2. Speaking of how our inside is soft, that's where our run D is pretty vulnerable too-not only with undersized DTs, but ILB Akin Adoyele(remember this former Jag) has also been a liability.

3. Outside of Terrence Newman, our secondary is VERY suspect-Anthony Henry(whom you guys didn't see in our Oct meeting b/c of an injury) plays press coverage brilliantly, but he's slow in molasses. Our nickel back, Jacques Reeves, leads the league in most passes THROWN TO. And of course, Roy Williams is the laughing stock in the league in terms of pass coverage(early in the game, Plax had him beat for 6, if Eli had connected, the game would have gotten ugly...early, for us).

4. While we have weapons all around in the passing game, our OL run blocking is inconsistent(at best)-you saw how we were gashing the Giants in the first half, but while common sense that running effectively early in the game wears down opposing defenses, somehow, it was OUR OL that got worn down.:confused: And overall, our OL has been inconsistent in recent weeks-would look great for some stretches in a game, then look aweful in others.

As much as I hate to admit it, this would have been a GREAT matchup for you guys, just sayin'.

Anyhow-if you play the Pack in the Super Bowl, could you do me a favor and beat them? Frankly-I'm getting sick and tired of all this "Almighty Favre is the greatest", "Packers are dominant", "Packers have the best shot to upset the Pats", "Packers will steamroll the Giants", blah, blah, blah ad-nausium talk from the media. Plus my ex-girlfriend, who's a diehard Cheesehead, is really dogging me this week.:mad:

The Cowboys are just a team that everyone who isnt a Cowboys fan roots against. I personally was rooting for the Cowboys because I wanted to see the meltdown on Saintsreport if both Mannings lost in a day and one of them to the hated Cowboys.

Because T.O is an a-hole. Because Crayton said all that crap about "We'll see'em again if they make it to the SuperBowl". Because Wade Phillips is a fat ******ed cheerleader in the sidelines. Because Tony Romo thinks he is the awesome king of awesomeness, running around with that s*** eating grin of his.

It had nothing to do with matchups and the game itself, but that's just me.

Seriously-I'm not a mind reader or anything, but from my own perceptions, it seems like everyone in the national sports media, as well as Pats fans(in general) seemed to think Dallas gave the Pats the WORST possible matchup. Being a longtime fan of the boys, here's why I'm perplexed:

1. While we have pass rushers in Ware/Ellis/Spencer on the edges that give fits to the opposing QB, our INSIDE pass rush et al is SOFT(even Tank's presence hasn't been much of an upgrade, and yes, Jason Ferguson was MISSED this season).

2. Speaking of how our inside is soft, that's where our run D is pretty vulnerable too-not only with undersized DTs, but ILB Akin Adoyele(remember this former Jag) has also been a liability.

3. Outside of Terrence Newman, our secondary is VERY suspect-Anthony Henry(whom you guys didn't see in our Oct meeting b/c of an injury) plays press coverage brilliantly, but he's slow in molasses. Our nickel back, Jacques Reeves, leads the league in most passes THROWN TO. And of course, Roy Williams is the laughing stock in the league in terms of pass coverage(early in the game, Plax had him beat for 6, if Eli had connected, the game would have gotten ugly...early, for us).

4. While we have weapons all around in the passing game, our OL run blocking is inconsistent(at best)-you saw how we were gashing the Giants in the first half, but while common sense that running effectively early in the game wears down opposing defenses, somehow, it was OUR OL that got worn down.:confused: And overall, our OL has been inconsistent in recent weeks-would look great for some stretches in a game, then look aweful in others.

As much as I hate to admit it, this would have been a GREAT matchup for you guys, just sayin'.

Anyhow-if you play the Pack in the Super Bowl, could you do me a favor and beat them? Frankly-I'm getting sick and tired of all this "Almighty Favre is the greatest", "Packers are dominant", "Packers have the best shot to upset the Pats", "Packers will steamroll the Giants", blah, blah, blah ad-nausium talk from the media. Plus my ex-girlfriend, who's a diehard Cheesehead, is really dogging me this week.:mad:

For me, it had nothing to do with future matchups and more to do with personalities. Particularly at the wide receiver position (and not just TO).

Also, a lot of fans in NE who are AARP eligible started out as Giants fans before the leagues merged.

Because T.O is an a-hole. Because Crayton said all that crap about "We'll see'em again if they make it to the SuperBowl". Because Wade Phillips is a fat ******ed cheerleader in the sidelines. Because Tony Romo thinks he is the awesome king of awesomeness, running around with that s*** eating grin of his.

It had nothing to do with matchups and the game itself, but that's just me.

That about sums up my feelings.

Cowboys lost the PLAY OFF game because they have INTERNAL problems.

1- QB took vacation.
2-Coach staffs were interviewed.
3- The owner gave out FREE championship tickets to his friends and relative.
4- We defeated Giants twice. Therefore, we know how to defeat them.

They were not serious about their game at all.

Last edited:
I think the Cowboys would've been our toughest opponent from the NFC IF we make the Super Bowl. It doesn't bother me at all they're out of the running. Barber's a beast and T.O. is ... well, he's an ever-present threat to go all the way.

Basically, we worry about AFC teams. NFC, not so much. However, the Packers are looking a little scary. Then again, the Cowboys handled them pretty well and we did the same with the Cowboys. One game at a time and anything can happen.

I personally didn't care at all. The only upside to a Cowboys win was not to hear anymore crap about Romo and Jessica.

Because I'm sick and tired of the "America's Team" bullsh-t. The Patriots are America's Team.

I also need a Boston/New York sports fix because we got screwed out of being able to pummel the Yankees this year.

yeah who cares about the NFC..

I mean get a lead and Farve and watch the pickfest insue as he forces the rock.

And the Giants basically played perfect and couldnt beat us.

Probably because the Cowboys are Patriot-wannabe's. Everything about them screams "We want to be just like the Patriots! We are as good as them!" 48-27 in your house, I don't think so.

I gained much respect for the Giants due to the way they played in the last regular season game, and I wanted to see them go through. They were one of the few teams with nothing to lose that put it all on the line, and they took a lot of criticism for it. That was football at its finest. It has nothing to do with preferred match ups, as you usually end up with a worthy opponent no matter what at this time of year.

Because they're the freakin Cowboys of course, legends in their own mind.

And they got knocked out by Eli Manning!?!?!?

:rofl: :rofl:

I couldn't give a crap who won that game, but I'll admit I lmao'd when they lost because crayton is a little *****, owens is a big *****, and I'm fairly sick of hearing about an overrated team that hasn't accomplished ****.
so, here's to you, dallas.
ha ha.

Mainly just because I am from Philly, and it is a trend in Philly to despise Dallas.

Mainly because I've despised the Cowboys for as long as I can remember. Kids who were Cowboys fans when I was younger were a-holes and it grew from there. The "America's Team" crap persists even after 11 years of playoff folly or absence. Even though the Giants are a NYish team, I don't have the same contempt for them as I do the Jesters. It was nice to root along with my FIL for once, who is a NY fan.

I wanted to see Jerry Jones', Wade Phillips', TO's and Tony Romo's faces after a crushing loss. It brought me joy. It was the first time I've ever openly rooted for a NY team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down