PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

why we want the 3 seed vs 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWorldChamps

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Ive seen many threads on here, and lots of tv coverage (FSN,etc), saying how the 4 seed would be better, and that BB actually WANTS 4... no way... i understand the thinking: we get jags, who everyone thinks is easier than pitt.. but...
BB has one goal: to win the super bowl... it isnt to make it to the 2nd round...

i havent seen ANYONE mention the home field scenarios... all i hear i about us playing the colts... who cares? we must win 3 games, or no super bowl; simple...
why is 3 seed important?? assume we win week 1 (or else it doesnt even matter), then we'd go to denver, and win (or else it doesnt matter)... hopefully, the 4/5 winner would beat indy... then we get a HOME AFC championship! if we finish 4, we can ONLY host 6 in the AFCC (only if they beat both 3 and 1); if we finish 3, we would host the 4/5 winner (if they beat 1)...
we would be favored in any possible home AFCC. 3 seed means more than anyone else seems to think. i dont think anyone gets pulled at halftime this week. i could be wrong.
the easiest road to the super bowl would be pitt@home, denver on the road, and cinci/jags @home
that's easier than jags@home, indy on road, and denver/cinci on road
wow.. that was a long post... hope it makes sense... go KC!

PatsWorldChamps said:
Ive seen many threads on here, and lots of tv coverage (FSN,etc), saying how the 4 seed would be better, and that BB actually WANTS 4... no way... i understand the thinking: we get jags, who everyone thinks is easier than pitt.. but...
BB has one goal: to win the super bowl... it isnt to make it to the 2nd round...

i havent seen ANYONE mention the home field scenarios... all i hear i about us playing the colts... who cares? we must win 3 games, or no super bowl; simple...
why is 3 seed important?? assume we win week 1 (or else it doesnt even matter), then we'd go to denver, and win (or else it doesnt matter)... hopefully, the 4/5 winner would beat indy... then we get a HOME AFC championship! if we finish 4, we can ONLY host 6 in the AFCC (only if they beat both 3 and 1); if we finish 3, we would host the 4/5 winner (if they beat 1)...
we would be favored in any possible home AFCC. 3 seed means more than anyone else seems to think. i dont think anyone gets pulled at halftime this week. i could be wrong.
the easiest road to the super bowl would be pitt@home, denver on the road, and cinci/jags @home
that's easier than jags@home, indy on road, and denver/cinci on road
wow.. that was a long post... hope it makes sense... go KC!

I might be a bit drunk, but I think you make sense.

good post, good point.

I guarantee the Patriots mindset is TO WIN.

That's what we pay them to do.

Now let's get that #3, and go Chiefs (beat the Bungles).

You're right, assuming we get to the AFCC game (because, like you said, nothing matters if we don't), all we need is an upset of a team like Cincy winning at Indy to get HF in the AFCCG and we all know that could happen. Sure, it gives us a little more risk in getting out of the first round but it's a chance I'd be willing to take. That said, it's not so important that we rush guys like Bruschi back to soon.

You're forgetting that 6 is Pittsburgh, if any 6 team in recent memory can make it to the AFCC game the Steelers are the ones. The only reason they're at Six and not 2 is because Rothlisberger got hurt. And as for your "We have to win 3 games" argument I want us to have the easiest 3 game stretch possible. And #3 does not provide that:

The Jags: Have been without Leftwhich and he's likely to start, meaning he'll be rusty. It may be close but I say we win this game.

The Colts: If we're going to get the Colts at all I'd rather have it be right after their week off, before they can get a playoff game under their belt and calm their jitters. Having it be against us would only heighten the pressure on them.

The Broncos: If Pittsburgh can get past Cincy I can see them beating the Broncos and setting up the AFCC game @ Foxboro. If they don't this would be the team that scares me the most. But that being said We showed we could play with them back when we weren't nearly as healthy as we are now, also with Plummer never playing in an AFCC game before he could be overly nervous and we all know BB has a field day in those situations.

Vs. #3
The Steelers: Whom I think we can beat but not without paying a physical price. If we were to get them as I say above I'd rather have them in the AFCC where we would have 2 weeks to recouperate before the SB

The Broncos: As I said above they are our toughest test, I do think we can beat them but I like our chances against Indy better.

The Colts: As I said before, I'd rather have them before they got a playoff game udner their belt this year, not after.

It's all about "The Road to the Superbowl" and the #4 seed provides an easier road on many levels. No road is without peril, but no road was without peril two years ago when we were #1, or last year when we were #2.

Last edited:
wow... i thought i had screwed something up... i just couldnt believe no one in the media, or even on this board had mentioned it... maybe cinci would be happy with a first or second round win, but face it, these pats only have one goal... losing in the AFCC is the same as not making it out of the first round.

i loved the video when they gave seymour his AFC East champ '05 hat at his locker... not impressed at all, he said, "great, i'll add it to my others"... i love the attitude here: we only play for rings

ok... we need to be more complete...

#3 seed
option 3A: high seeds win:
pitt@home, denv@road, indy@road
option 3B: best case:
pitt@home, denv@road, cinci/jag@home

#4 seed
Option 4A: higher seeds win:
jags@home, indy@road, denv/cinci@road (i dont like road playoff games)
Option 4B: best case:
jags@home, denv@road, pitt@home (this means pitt beat cinci and indy)

pick one!?! i dont think any of the teams matter as much as having it a home game...
i like 4B, 3B, 4A, 3A in order... no wonder we dont know... either way, rest bruschi

Last edited:
????

Doesn't anybody here want to play these Colts? I understand the path of least resistance concerns, and another championship by any route would make a phenomenal story for our boys. But the best story I can think of is born from defending this title against the very best teams out there. Please, I would love a Colts game, week 2, week 3, whatever. If they are the successor apparent, let them play the Champ for it.

In other words, its not about hoping for some easier run that'll help squeak out some wins, and maybe even a title. It's about playing the best in this league and leaving it all out on the field. Win or lose, this team should leave no doubt about what they are - a dynasty, the personification of the courage, discipline, dedication and perserverence of the greatest of champions.

If some other team should reach those heights this year, let them have earned it. Let them play the Patriots. At the very least, our boys can tell themselves and each other that they lost 2 healthy backfields this year and still almost took the whole f*ckin thing! Are you guys hearing this?

Now let's start's by crushing that wannabeli coach from Miami!

If the 3 seed gives us an extra home game - of course we want it

But BB is dealing with a Risk/Reward Scenario

Does he want to beat the Dolphins for a chance at the 3 seed and an extra home game? Absolutely.

Does he want to unduly risk the health of any of the players he'll need regardless of where the games are played? Absolutely not.

Look for his strategy to try to balance these two factors.

Would you rather play the Colts after them not having played a real game, with all their starters playing the entire time, for almost a month. Also, the last real game, the Chargers, they got their asses handed to them.

Or would you rather risk playing them later after they have had a chance to get things back in order and play the way they were earlier in the year.

Last edited:
Of course we want the 3 seed.

Does anybody really think Cincinnati can't advance in these playoffs.

At 3 we get them at home.

At 4 we get them at cinci.

No brainer. We want the 3 seed.

The main factor in this equation is Denver. Denver is the one team in the playoffs that KNOWS it can beat us. Mike Shanahan is an aggressive play caller, which is how you have to be to beat a Belichick D; and Denver has the biggest home field advantage. Pittsburgh would be a slugfest, that even if we made it through injury free, would leave us battered and unlikely to beat Denver, let alone win another game against the Colts/Cinci.

The possibility of not seeing Denver (which is fairly good given how pittsburgh is playing) is enough for me to root for the #4 seed. Not to mention that the possibility of having the steelers at home as a #4 seed is probably greater that having the Bengals at home as a #3 seed, if that makes any sense.

I would rather not see healthy players sit for any game to avoid injury. People end up in the wrong positions, out of position, schemes and systems break down, and then players get hurt. This team needs to stay in step, build more chemistry. Its that time of year, why would you want to even think about losing?

Yes, take the third seed, get an extra home game if you can. Maybe 2? Even better. And bring on the Colts in any form. This team either deserves to win it all or it doesn't, but I'd like to see them beat every team at their best. How much better would that be?

And I agree that Denver at Mile High might be the tougher game at this point, esp on an x game road trip. JMHO

bort said:
Yes, take the third seed, get an extra home game if you can. Maybe 2?

I assume you mean 2 extra home games?

Because unless Denver somehow manages to play and lose two games today, I don't see a #2 seed happening.

We already have 1 home game so an extra 2 would have to mean that Denver and Indy both lose in the playoffs, and as the #3 seed we regain homefield advantage for the third game

Of course, that's nothing that can be decided today.

And while I don't view it as probable, it would certainly be nice!

Willie55 said:
Would you rather play the Colts after them not having played a real game, with all their starters playing the entire time, for almost a month. Also, the last real game, the Chargers, they got their asses handed to them.

Or would you rather risk playing them later after they have had a chance to get things back in order and play the way they were earlier in the year.

Well, they won't be playing teams that are like 2-50 :)

That being said, isn't their something to be said for letting Pittsburgh go in there and beat up on their players a little bit. Just giving another viewpoint. I'm not sure either.

If we can't beat all 5 teams at any location then we don't deserve to go to the super bowl. I don't understand why everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over Pittsburgh. Every time we have played them in the playoffs we shut down the run and we win. They barely beat the Jets last year and we kicked the sh!t out of them last year and we beat them earlier in the year when our D sucked. They will come to Foxboro and try to run the football. Our Defense is best at stopping the run so why not welcome a team you know really well. Cincy looked like sh!t against Buffalo and this will be the first playoff game for most of those players, they very well could lose to Jax which would send Jax to Indy a team they know very well and they could beat them, think about playing the same team 3 times in one season. This team is playing better football right now then they did down the stretch last season, stop worrying.

Bring it on

I'm a bit tired of people underrating the Jags. Their secondary is better than Pittsburghs which will make it a tough game. They are also a very physical team just like Pittsburgh. Have you heard what Peter King has said about them? Who's to say that we wouldn't be just as beat up after playing them?

As far as Denver is concerned. We almost came back to tie that game. Without many starters and not showing up for the 2nd quarter. It may be the best homefield of the playoffs since there hasn't been a home game there since 97 or so. But I think we have a shot with our team being healthy and the ability to shut down the run. Has Jake won a big playoff game before? Did he win that one for the Cardinals? I'll take my chances with Tom over Jake any day.

If you haven't noticed the Donkies haven't been playing too well of late either. Nobody here seems to have confidence that they will win that 1st game. For crying out loud, the Ravens almost beat them. If their moron coach kicks the FG instead of going for it they would have won that game despite Boller having the worst game I have ever seen a QB play outside of Marc Wilson. I'll take my chances in Denver.

The Colts may be the toughest out in the playoffs. Do we want them when they might be rusty or after we have played 2 games. Don't forget they have blown everyone out in that dome in their 1st playoff game the past few years.

Anyway, just my rambling thoughts. Can't wait till it all shakes out.

Yes, Denver is the key, Would we rather play Denver or Jacksonville?

4th seed
JAX
INDY
CINCI/PITT/DENVER (We would play PITT would be at home)

If we play Denver, I would rather it be after tough game with PITT or CINCI rather after their bye.

If Cinci beats Denver, then we play them after a tough game.

If Pitt beats Denver, then we play them AT HOME after their tough game.

----------------

3rd seed
JAX
Denver
Indy

----------------------

letekro said:
The main factor in this equation is Denver. Denver is the one team in the playoffs that KNOWS it can beat us. Mike Shanahan is an aggressive play caller, which is how you have to be to beat a Belichick D; and Denver has the biggest home field advantage. Pittsburgh would be a slugfest, that even if we made it through injury free, would leave us battered and unlikely to beat Denver, let alone win another game against the Colts/Cinci.

The possibility of not seeing Denver (which is fairly good given how pittsburgh is playing) is enough for me to root for the #4 seed. Not to mention that the possibility of having the steelers at home as a #4 seed is probably greater that having the Bengals at home as a #3 seed, if that makes any sense.

denverpatsfan said:
I'm a bit tired of people underrating the Jags. Their secondary is better than Pittsburghs which will make it a tough game. They are also a very physical team just like Pittsburgh.
Good point. Jax is not a typical Florida team. They're built more like an AFC Central team that can grind it out and play smash mouth football, in the heat or cold. Let's play Pitt, (hopefully get a lead,) stop the run and make Big Ben throw the ball 30 times. We'd be in great shape to win that game, IMO. After the first playoff game, anything can happen.

JoeSixPat said:
I assume you mean 2 extra home games?

Because unless Denver somehow manages to play and lose two games today, I don't see a #2 seed happening.

We already have 1 home game so an extra 2 would have to mean that Denver and Indy both lose in the playoffs, and as the #3 seed we regain homefield advantage for the third game

Of course, that's nothing that can be decided today.

And while I don't view it as probable, it would certainly be nice!
a #2 seed is impossible... also, no matter what your seed, you cant have more than 2 playoff games at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes