Banned
Reaction score
Pats' record with Rodney Harrison: 44-6, including 6-0 in the playoffs;
22-1 at home, 20-5 away, 2-0 neutral.
Record against winning teams: 22-3

Pats' record without Harrison: 15-10, including 3-2 in the playoffs;
9-5 at home, 6-5 away.
Record against winning teams: 6-9

The difference between these records is stunning. Damn you Bobby Wade!

It would be good to have him back. But he's 35 this year. We need the next Rodney too -- or the next somebody else, with the adjusted scheme that accounts for another strong safety's talents in a modified role.

PFnV

Look we all love Rodney but hes not going to be anything close to the player he once was with this team. We need to draft a safety quick to replace him because he is getting old and is always getting injured now.

We don't need Rodney per sea, but we need a playmaker like Rodney. One player I would love to see us go after at safety is Ken Hamlin. The guy had some injury problems, but he had a great year on an average defense and was one of the few playmakers. He could be the next Rodney Harrison for this team.

I thought we did found the "new Rodney":confused: James Sanders,that being said.There is only one Rodney...We all agree Rodney is not what he was once...James played quite well and his is going to improve...I wish for next year Rodney doesn't get hurt...James can have some real game experince with the best player that ever played at that position...Rodney is the f**ken man!!!!:cool3:

I love Rodney and his hard hits!! I hope he can stay healthy all of next year!!

I thought we did found the "new Rodney":confused: James Sanders,that being said.There is only one Rodney...We all agree Rodney is not what he was once...James played quite well and his is going to improve...I wish for next year Rodney doesn't get hurt...James can have some real game experince with the best player that ever played at that position...Rodney is the f**ken man!!!!:cool3:

Sanders had a good year, but I am not sold on him. He is not a great cover guy. He is very good at playing close to the line. Rodney isn't the best cover guy in the world either, but far superior to Sanders.

Sanders had a good year, but I am not sold on him. He is not a great cover guy. He is very good at playing close to the line. Rodney isn't the best cover guy in the world either, but far superior to Sanders.

Rodney makes up for it though with his punishing hits on receivers...

I'd love to see Rodney return to play like his pre-injury days, but I have to wonder about a guy who's now had 3 bad injuries in 2 years. I do think the Patriots need a top notch safety like a Reed or Palmalu type that makes plays all over the field.

I would love to have Rodney back. He brings a lot to the field and the younger guys can benefit a lot from a year with him as a teacher!

I'd love to see Rodney return to play like his pre-injury days, but I have to wonder about a guy who's now had 3 bad injuries in 2 years.

He still better than Mickens or Baker.

If Geno and Blue come back, franchise Asante, and you've got a pretty solid group.

Hobbs becomes the main return guy, w/ Geno and Asante at corner, Rodney, Hawkins, and Sanders rotating at safety, w/ Blue, Scott, and Hobbs as backups. Not bad.

I'll be happy to Rodney back and Junior,despite their age,if they can still contribute,even on a limited basis,I think they can help..

If Geno and Blue come back, franchise Asante, and you've got a pretty solid group.

Hobbs becomes the main return guy, w/ Geno and Asante at corner, Rodney, Hawkins, and Sanders rotating at safety, w/ Blue, Scott, and Hobbs as backups. Not bad.
Why do people keep talking about Wilson as a starting CB ? He hasn't played CB, other than training camp, for 4 years now. Hobbs looks like a good young CB, there's no reason to make him just a PR and put Wilson in his spot at CB.

Hobbs is a starting CB next year. The other one will be Samuel, Gay, a draft pick or a FA - it won't be Wilson.

Before I make my statement, let me say that I like Rodney and his intensity. We won the Eagles SB largely because of him (he was the MVP, IMO). He's a leader and a "coach on the field".

That being said, I think the Pats should let him go. Let's be honest, he can't stay on the field. Sure, all of him season-ending injuries have been caused by some tough-luck plays but the man's knees have to be shot by now. Couple that with his age and it makes him a step or two slower. He can still rattle the teeth of a TE across the middle but only if he's in the right place as his closing speed is diminished. Sanders and Hawkins have filled in admirably but they should be second or third string players. We need to get a younger, faster SS.

If Rodney comes back (hopefully with a cap-friendly number), I'd like to see him as a situational type guy. He can help coach up a rookie or FA safety.

In addition to his leadership and hard hitting ability, did anyone know that Rodney is the all-time sack leader among active DBs?

Anyone can try to blitz...but Harrison knows when and how to. A valuable ingredient missing from our D with his absence.

Simply put -- he makes plays. Which is the kind of player I hope we find as his future replacement.

Sanders is only 23. He may never be Rodney, but look how much he's improved since his rookie year. I think he'll be a solid ss for many years to come.

Well his agent says he's coming back in 2007 :

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=179057

"“He’s definitely coming back next year. He’s never thought at all about retiring,” Feldman said yesterday, when asked about the toll back-to-back years of injuries has taken on the 34-year-old safety."

And he'll be injured by week 4 and sit on the sidelines for the rest of the season. As much as I like the guy and appreciate all he has brought to the team I think he has become a non-factor.

And he'll be injured by week 4 and sit on the sidelines for the rest of the season. As much as I like the guy and appreciate all he has brought to the team I think he has become a non-factor.
That's a little unfair. Admittedly 3 injuries in 2 years circumstantially looks like he may be becoming brittle as he gets to his mid 30s. But it's also a small enough sample to possibly just be flat out bad luck. Certainly, though, we need to have a quality backup - I assume that's Sanders; depending how the coaches see him.

Before I make my statement, let me say that I like Rodney and his intensity. We won the Eagles SB largely because of him (he was the MVP, IMO). He's a leader and a "coach on the field".

That being said, I think the Pats should let him go. Let's be honest, he can't stay on the field. Sure, all of him season-ending injuries have been caused by some tough-luck plays but the man's knees have to be shot by now. Couple that with his age and it makes him a step or two slower. He can still rattle the teeth of a TE across the middle but only if he's in the right place as his closing speed is diminished. Sanders and Hawkins have filled in admirably but they should be second or third string players. We need to get a younger, faster SS.

If Rodney comes back (hopefully with a cap-friendly number), I'd like to see him as a situational type guy. He can help coach up a rookie or FA safety.

I couldn't disagree more. Unless you are factoring in added effects from the TN knee injury, Rodney's did not slow down as much as you seem to think. He wasn't himself for the first 3-4 weeks of the season, but from then until the Colt game he was quite good. He also was playing well in the short time that he returned from the shoulder injury.

Rodney is not going anywhere and we will all be thankful for it next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes