PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Wasn't Slater Playing Some Offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Slater played at KR and at safety. Ventrone played WR; did Slater?

I guess they're just looking at them at a variety of positions - I was a little disappointed that Hobbs got the KR in the first half, I was hoping for Slater to get them all game to see if he could break one.

Slater is a STer and that is probalby all is he will be ala Kelly Washington - Although seeing Kelly at WR would not be surprising

Did Kelly line up at WR in the preseason yet?

I think tonight was a sign that Slater doesn't have a spot on the 53 man roster locked down yet. If Slater was a lock to make the team, there is zero chance that BB would have risked Hobbs on kick returns in the pre season.

One of the biggest benefits to keeping Slater is that it keeps Hobbs, Maroney, and Welker off of kickoff returns.

I think once BM went down, he was a backup safety and they needed him there...

Last edited:
Yup.

And if he had a position locked down, they would have at least tried him out at WR instead of constantly counting on Ventrone and the Cj's.

I think tonight was a sign that Slater doesn't have a spot on the 53 man roster locked down yet. If Slater was a lock to make the team, there is zero chance that BB would have risked Hobbs on kick returns in the pre season.

One of the biggest benefits to keeping Slater is that it keeps Hobbs, Maroney, and Welker off of kickoff returns.

Hobbs is a good KR, but he's not a great returner. So personally I would not have him return kicks because we can't afford to get him injured. The corner depth goes basically three-deep. Hobbs, Bryant (who has a history of injuries), and Wheatley (a rookie).

I think you have it backwards. If Slater isn't a great kick returner, he isn't worth a roster spot.

The point is if Slater is being kept only to be a mediocre kick returner, then the roster spot might be better used to keep another corner.

You mention our starting corners and nickel back. The issue is how many backups we can afford to carry. There are lots on the roster. If we don't keep Slater, we can keep one more. Perhaps for the first time in years, we might have sufficient backup at corner.

Should we really cut a corner to keep Slater?

OPTIONS
Lewis Sanders, Wlihite, Webster, Richardson, Spann, Jimoh, Shoate, Ventrone

Hobbs is a good KR, but he's not a great returner. So personally I would not have him return kicks because we can't afford to get him injured. The corner depth goes basically three-deep. Hobbs, Bryant (who has a history of injuries), and Wheatley (a rookie).

Last edited:
We drafted him because he ran back 3/30 kicks last year. So if he gets 15+ chances and doesnt break one suffice to say he wont make the team. He could well be on the PS.

One would think we would have learned our lesson last year when all of draft picks got gobbled up by other teams by trying to 'sneak' them onto our PS. Slater will not make it to the PS, he would be signed by another team in a heartbeat. He'll get the benefit of the doubt and make the team.

One would think we would have learned our lesson last year when all of draft picks got gobbled up by other teams by trying to 'sneak' them onto our PS. Slater will not make it to the PS, he would be signed by another team in a heartbeat. He'll get the benefit of the doubt and make the team.

Seriously, why do people think there is no way Slater will get to the practice squad? When the Pats drafted the guy, half the analysts didn't even know who he was or what position he played. Virtually everyone called it a huge reach.

What really has Slater done in the first two preseason games that will have teams fighting over themselves to get him (3 catches for 19 yards and 24.3 yards per return). Slater has Bam Childress disease - fans think he is bigger than his accomplishments. Like Childress, I think Slater will easily get to the practice squad. It took Childress a half dozen times to be cut and put on the prctice squad before he was stolen away.

Unless Slater shows more in the next two preseason games, I don't think there is a huge threat that if the Pats cut him that he won't make it to the practice squad.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed is that he also plays on kickoff coverage, he was the first player down the field on Ghost's initial kickoff. Slater is bigger than I thought and should be able to play kickoff coverage, gunner on punts as well as return kicks.

Returning the kicks is key, if he can perform it that role he should have a shot at the 53. The tougher call is why put him on the 45 unless he is sensational. That is why Hobbs was returning kicks, Hobbs is a certainty to be on every 45 man roster unless he is hurt.

BB believes "Football players play football", he is not afraid to 'risk' injuries although the rest of us are deathly afraid of seeing a CB get injured. With the added depth at RB look for Maroney to return kicks as well.

Last edited:
Slater has a better chance of making the team and getting playing time by playing defense. Same with Ventrone.

Lets see - Slater comes in with NFL bloodlines, intelligent, mature, film junkie, gets the O & D playbooks and looks decent doing both, as well as as playing quite well at ST.

On the other hand, for Argument sake - This is CJax 3rd year, can barely play his own position and is a JAG STmer.

I wonder who I would keep? :rolleyes:

We drafted him because he ran back 3/30 kicks last year. So if he gets 15+ chances and doesnt break one suffice to say he wont make the team. He could well be on the PS.

I think it's in his best interest to be on the PS this year ... he has athletic talent and these coaches will help him use it. Anyways ... hopefully he gets a chance to at least be on the PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back