PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why trading Big Al is folly

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
According to NBA.com, here are the top 10 starters ranked by efficiency per 48 minutes, post all-star game

name/games played
1. Duncan/27/
2. Ming/21/
3. Boozer/29
4. Gasol/28
5. Bryant/27
6. Stoudemire/30
7. Jefferson/25
8. Garnett/25
9. Nowitzki/26
10. B. Davis/20

Big Al is on the verge of superstardom. Over the last 25 games, he averaged 19.8 ppg/11.5 reb/1.8 as/1.1 st/1.7 bl. As long as the Celts don't trade Al , there is hope.

According to NBA.com, here are the top 10 starters ranked by efficiency per 48 minutes, post all-star game

name/games played
1. Duncan/27/
2. Ming/21/
3. Boozer/29
4. Gasol/28
5. Bryant/27
6. Stoudemire/30
7. Jefferson/25
8. Garnett/25
9. Nowitzki/26
10. B. Davis/20

Big Al is on the verge of superstardom. Over the last 25 games, he averaged 19.8 ppg/11.5 reb/1.8 as/1.1 st/1.7 bl. As long as the Celts don't trade Al , there is hope.

Good stats, and I agree. It makes NO sense to trade Big Al right now. Even if our philosophy is to try and win now, he will help us win now. He is an asset in both the short term and in the long term.

As evidenced by your stats, it would hard to upgrade considerably over Big Al, offensively. Whatever upgrade we could find would not be worth the vast difference in $$ right now. Big Al has a lot of value to us now and in the future.

Thankfully there's no reason to believe Ainge has even considered trading him, other than the fact Ainge may very well be an idiot or desperate to save his job. Yikes, those are two good reasons!

The moment I heard Big Al's name in the Garnett trade talks I knew it was either coming from Minnesota or being made up by mediots. The White Sox wanted Buchholz for 3 months of Buehrle and I didn't take those talks seriously, and we have since learned that it was just Chicago trying to get the price up and Boston was never really talking trade at all.

The simple fact is, considering age and contracts, Al is more valuable than Garnett right now. Apparently he's more valuable than most guys in the league.

I agree that it would be crazy to trade Al. Not only did he raise his game this year but I think he has not even come close to reaching his potential in this league.

Plus...he is a fan favorite. I think the Celts management needs to be mindful of that.

I love Al and do not want to see him traded. I'm on record as being upset with the fools gold Allen deal. That being said, it's because of the Allen deal that Jefferson has become tradeable now. We've pretty much asigned ourselves a 3-5 year window of success. I wish we had drafted at #5, and tried to aquire a cheaper vet with Theo & players/picks. We probably could have had AK47 for Theo, West & a pick. Never the less, now we have to consider a Jefferson for KG trade.

We probably could have had AK47 for Theo, West & a pick.

Our most glaring need now is defense at the 4/5 spot. Garnett's offense is redundant due to Big Al; with Allen on the books, Marion's contract is too high/he doesn't want to be here; AK is a good fit, though he's a 3/4 combo type. He and Al would make a small 4 & 5, but Doc loves going small anyway.

At worst, AK would cost Theo, Green and an 08 pick.

HoopsHype has said the Jazz aren't really shopping him anymore:

"While calling around to see if any teams were talking to the Jazz about acquiring Andrei Kirilenko prior to the draft, one East Coast executive suggested AK-47 won't be going anywhere. "We've always liked Kirilenko," he said. "But they seem married to him.":mad:

Last edited:
No way the Celts should trade Al, not for Garnett nor anyone else. Al is a Celtic, born and bred. He deserves the chance to mature here. #17 is a goal, but not the only goal. Building a sustainable, winning franchise over a 10 year period is the ideal. The Allen deal gives Rondo and Green 2 years to mature. By then they have a chance to become above average starters. At that time both Pierce and Allen become lucrative chess pieces on the trade market due to their contracts. In the interim the Celts should provide us with solid, enjoyable baskletball based around a premier low post player. Afterwards, the Allen or Pierce contract can be used to acquire another premier piece to the puzzle, with the core of AJ, RR and GG still under 25.

Last edited:
The More I think the more I rather have Al Jefferson than Kevin Garnett. , I say trade Green Ratlif Telfair, and a future pick for Gasol...

hahaha. yeah, im so upset the Celtics traded for Kevin Garnett.

HAHAHAHA stop....my sides.....!!

Ah, the ol' hindsight. There was another thread after the trade was made in which members mocked the trade and stated it would only put people in the seats.
I had no idea KG was this type of player, he was born to wear green. Bill Russell told him, that if he didn't get a championship ring, Russell would give him one of his own. I don't think that will be a problem.

What those stats did not portray was the effectiveness of the defense a player brings. Big Al ... for all his greatness is not a good defensive player at all. If he had stayed here we would have scored a few more points but we would still have been soft on defense ... i.e. we would have missed the playoffs again.

Yeah securing a championship is always a folly.

Let's invest on potential instead of guaranteed championships.

I've guaranteed it since day 1.

I stick by that guarantee.

I was opposed to Garnett for Jefferson prior to the Allen deal. I thought the Allen deal alone was dumb, if you weren't going to get Garnett thereafter.

My two thoughts at the time were simple. You do what the Celtics did, and aquire Allen & Garnett to work with Pierce, to try to win a championship ASAP (3-5 year window, truly 3 though). If not, you look to trade Pierce, and build a team around Jefferson/Rondo/etc. and aim for a longer period of contention, a few years down the road.

I was opposed to Garnett for Jefferson prior to the Allen deal. I thought the Allen deal alone was dumb, if you weren't going to get Garnett thereafter.

My two thoughts at the time were simple. You do what the Celtics did, and aquire Allen & Garnett to work with Pierce, to try to win a championship ASAP (3-5 year window, truly 3 though). If not, you look to trade Pierce, and build a team around Jefferson/Rondo/etc. and aim for a longer period of contention, a few years down the road.
everybody forgets that ray allens deal runs out the same time labron james contract runs out. the celtics will have enough money under the cap to offer a top level contract to labron. they will make a serious run at him. mark it down. the celtics run could be a lot longer than most think.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back